Paint Shield: G-Techniq C1 Hydrophobic Crystal Laquer

Christian350z

Hi guys,

Iv just ordered some G-Techniq C1 Hydrophobic Crystal Laquer. It's pretty scientific stuff from what i read. The reviews say it gives a shield like effect on your paint, a bit like water beading after your car has been waxed but it lasts much longer and repels dirt from the road. This long lasting effect would be great for me as sometimes i don't always have time to give my 350 a proper clean, will it really do this?

Has anyone used this stuff before? Any Tips? Any Photos?

I did manage to find a bunch of info on this hardlives.com website, some cool video's and a nice write up. I saw they tapped up a subaru impreza and covered half the car in the G-Techniq C1 and drove it around for a while, lol one side is much cleaner and the other side looks like it was found at the bottom of the sea.

back_copy.jpg

20120529-162914-610x250.jpg

There is cool video on that website too but i can't figure out how to put it on this topic. http://www.hardlives...car-protection/

Let me know if anyone on the forum has used this stuff, post some pics please. Or if you know of a similar product that is cheaper.

I put a coat of C1.5 on the Zed beginning of September.

Washed it yesterday and the beading is still tight.

Lasting much longer than the Collinite wax I used to have.

Dosn't feel as slick/slippery though.

C1 gives even greater durability than C1.5 but needs a lot more prep with an IPA wipedown and also I think I read that the coating needs 2 days to cure "without touching water!".

I'm happy with the C1.5, but would switch back to wax in a heartbeat when I have more time to detail as I miss that slickness you get for the first few weeks:(.

Although I've not tried it myself, the general consensus on Detailing World is that topping C1 with EXO will give you both the protection of C1 and much more slickness and gloss along with greater dirt repellency from the EXO. Like I say, I've not tried either myself so I don't know what the finish is like over a wax but it might be something worth investigating if durability is an issue.

ETA; Two coats of C1 topped with two coats of EXO looks like this http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291777

Edited by ilogikal1

I have used the C1 followed by a coat of C1.5 and it gives a great finish which lasts a very long time, the paintwork needs wiping down with IPA first to remove old wax but the C1 is easy to apply just do it panel by panel and follow instruction video on the Gtechnic website.

• 2 weeks later...

It lasts far longer than a wax. 5 years if applied by a dealer. 2 or 3 if self applied.

Have you used it yourself? Does the beading last for a few years too?

Also i have just seen this morning that they have a new and improved product out... http://www.hardlives.com/gtechniq-exo-v2-super-car-amour/

It's expensive stuff so i want to make sure i get the right one lol

No I haven't used it myself. Personally I wouldn't use C1 as it forms a hard layer. If you get it wrong or want to remove it you have to polish it out with a machine polisher. Also, it will set in the microfibre cloths that you use. If you reuse the cloths, you will scratch up your car. So you must get rid of them after you have used them.

I have used C2 though and that had good beading that lasted well. I haven't trialled it properly to give a good judgement yet. They have brought out C2V2 though which is supposed to be even better,

I have used Zaino Z2 Pro. This can't be put on in temperatures under 14 deg C so not much use in the winter. So this winter I have been using C2.

Zaino can take ages to cure and three coats can take most of a day. So a whole weekend is needed to do it properly but the results are fantastic and it lasts 6 months with great beading.

My intention is to use Zaino when it gets warmer as the finish is really good with 3 coats and then use C2 in the colder months as a quick sealant.