should i tell my insurance company..........

stuey

Not wise to write on a public forum mate as im sure insurance companies sometime trawl these especially when they are in partnership with then (in some form or other)

Im just very scared about not declairing stuff so i always would, just in case someone goes into me i have a big accident and i cannot change things back over.

If you are not i would get this thread deleted.

I would inform them as if your car gets stolen and they find they, they are liable to not pay out saying it increased the cars desirability thus affecting the chance of it being stolen.

If you crashed your car they may be less worried about them but they would not replace them either.

Only thing I would ever think about not declaring is one of these ECU chips which require extensive work to be detected

Guest prescience

I always declare anything which I think is relevant (judgement call).

Insurance companies on their websites generally have different entries for different versions (e.g. limited editions) which are much the same - the point being that they draw a distinction.

Any variation from stock is thus material in my view - even if it is a clear advancement (e.g. larger/better brakes having a safety benefit)

Reason why I ask what size is because My insurance Direct Line (fantastic by the way) only charged me an extra 60 quids cos my wheels were upgraded from 18" to 20". They said if the same size they would charge me anything. Im covered up to 7k for body kit and 2k for wheels. :thumbs:

Also why should he be careful what he posts, insurance companies cant find anything from a username and the likelyhood that they will go through all the forums to catch someone out, that time would cost them money that they really couldnt care about surley :wacko:

Lets say he crashes and falls onto a rail line holding up lots of trains - cost to insurance company could easily be £10M+

I bet they would check his policy carefully if its going to cost them a lot of money. All about being sensible. Your breaking the law so why put the details about it on the web.

Declare them. Don't give the insurers ammo to wriggle when you need them to pay out. If you tell them you may pay a bit more on the premium - if you don't you may be paying the whole premium for no benefit at all.

Reason why I ask what size is because My insurance Direct Line (fantastic by the way) only charged me an extra 60 quids cos my wheels were upgraded from 18" to 20". They said if the same size they would charge me anything. Im covered up to 7k for body kit and 2k for wheels. :thumbs:

Also why should he be careful what he posts, insurance companies cant find anything from a username and the likelyhood that they will go through all the forums to catch someone out, that time would cost them money that they really couldnt care about surley :wacko:

It has happened before and there are ways to trace things. A friend of mine got a call from his insurance company as they are sponsors of a website and he did not tell them about his exhaust system, which he was blabbering on about on a forum. They knew it was him as he posted up pictures and he left his number plate on them, stupid i know!

In the end, they asked him to insure it, take it off or have his policy cancelled.

He paid up.

At the end of the day, it will void your insurance if you do not declaire such a major thing on a car (wheels are very important and they are what connects the car to the ground).

Declare them. Don't give the insurers ammo to wriggle when you need them to pay out. If you tell them you may pay a bit more on the premium - if you don't you may be paying the whole premium for no benefit at all.

+1

I declare all my mods. Id rather pay that bit extra & be covered than to not be covered should the worst happen

Declare them without a doubt, as said before for wheels it will make little or no difference. Especially in this day & age when insurers are getting more and more advanced with all the insurance fraud that is around I wouldn't risk it.

ok........ i just declaired my 20 inch wheels and they wanted an extra £51 and to up the excess by another £150 for the remainder of the policy........... which is 3 months so i thought stuff that thats nearly £900

i got a quote from adrian flux of £688 including the wheels......... so im gonna cancel my policy and go wiv that......... just as a comparison for you guys im 39 yrs old and got 17yrs no claims bonus........!! :thumbs:

ok........ i just declaired my 20 inch wheels and they wanted an extra £51 and to up the excess by another £150 for the remainder of the policy........... which is 3 months so i thought stuff that thats nearly £900

i got a quote from adrian flux of £688 including the wheels......... so im gonna cancel my policy and go wiv that......... just as a comparison for you guys im 39 yrs old and got 17yrs no claims bonus........!! :thumbs:

Thats expensive :blush: I'm younger ( B) ), less ncd, newer car and mines £598 with RAC :)

Declare them. When I got my policy I told them it was an import. All the bits that were on it were on it so to speak. Since taking out the policy I have powder coated the plenum and replaced the air filter and had not told them. When I went down to sort our the wind damage the guy down there told me to replace the air filter with the original otherwise the insurance company might void the claim!! :scare::scare:

As soon as this claim is settled I will be replacing the powder coated one and telling the insurance company. I will stress that it is cosmetic as the ECU learns and as such no performance is gained but I WILL tell them!

I am just lucky that the garage guy was so helpful as he took very detailed pics of the damage and the filter would have shown!! :thumbs:

There is I suppose some merit in the argument that the wheels/exhaust/filter etc were on the car when you bought it and as such you thought they were original equipment.

Ming the Lucky/considered

+1

I declare all my mods. Id rather pay that bit extra & be covered than to not be covered should the worst happen

Yup I have said mine has a stainless exhaust and an induction kit and it has neither at the mo its 100% standard, the insurance copany said that its fine because ive declared them so if I have an accident with or without the mods im still covered :thumbs::thumbs:

By the way that was with SKY insurance and my premium did not change with these mods being on my car. If you add them its a £20 admin fee thats all. :yahoo:

+1

Yup I have said mine has a stainless exhaust and an induction kit and it has neither at the mo its 100% standard, the insurance copany said that its fine because ive declared them so if I have an accident with or without the mods im still covered :thumbs::thumbs:

By the way that was with SKY insurance and my premium did not change with these mods being on my car. If you add them its a £20 admin fee thats all. :yahoo:

I think mine went up by £90 for a plenum, induction kit, wheels & full exhaust system which i havent bought yet but declared it due to the decats.