Repairing Carbon Fibre

JetSet

Managed to lightly tap a small post and have slightly damaged my carbon fibre diffuser. The damage is limited to about an area about 2 inches long and one inch down, just some minor cracking, and a slight depression in the diffuser. I can live with it as it is but I was wondering if it's possible to tidy it up a bit?

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Thanks for the kind words from people. If you send me a couple of pictures, il be able to give you the best course of action. Depending on the type of carbon, you maybe able to flat and polish it out, if its what we call pre preg carbon. But you maybe able to hide it. Where abouts do you live? Im based in Milton Keynes, so if your anywhere near, then il happily take a look at it. Failing that,get some pictures over to me, and il help out the best I can.

Tried sending this as a PM, but it says you cant receive any more, so maybe check your inbox.

Here's the damage

P1285386_zpsfb16f938.jpg

Pete

Ouch. Looking at the weave,id say it was wet laminate carbon, which is not great,especially when it comes to repairing and impact damage. To be honest, it looks pretty done for. You could try to flat it out lightly and polish it, but i dont think, and from past experience, that there is much resin infront of the fibres to flat out. By breaking the fibres, there is noting really you can do. You could put a patch over it, but then it would probably look worse than what you have. Really sorry to say. :rant:

I'd try slowly building it up with clear nail varnish Pete. (as Rich said earlier)

I've got some clear 2 part epoxy, if you want to try filling , flatting and polishing. Maybe when it warms up a bit. :blush: (but that is a pain in the ......)