Alfa advice - sat for ages and wont start

Ricey

Go on an alfa forum blah blah blah.......yeah well I don't want to so fix it for me and fix it now!

Alfa has been sat for ages 2 months maybe. Our very own toonchris fixed the key for me (ossum service I might add Chris....top man).

Brand spanking new battery fully charged but when I turn it over its making a rather pathetic noise like its ceased up. It sounds almost as if its got a flat battery but makes the odd strangled squeal before giving up trying.

Could it be because of the cold weather like you see in every movie set in Russia where they have to **** the starter motor with a hammer to make it fire?!?

It started first turn of the key whilst it was in use.

I love my alfa and I want her back alive so she can go to a farm out in the countryside to roam free with all the other little alfa's.

The engine has been caked in snow all week long.

Edited by Ricey

Which model/engine?

Unlikely the internals have seized unless it's been run low on oil, some are prone to that.

If it's giving up trying to turn over it sounds like a duff battery, I know it's new, but have you tested it? Otherwise maybe the starter has seized.

Are you sure the battery cables are connected firmly, could be a poor connection?

That's not actually a bad question. Whilst it should be an obvious 'dur! Of course' the positive terminal clamp is really weird. It won't seem to tighten up properly. It's a normal looking clamp but has a piece of plastic in the middle.......fully tightened it still seems slack.

Are you sure the battery cables are connected firmly, could be a poor connection?

That's not actually a bad question. Whilst it should be an obvious 'dur! Of course' the positive terminal clamp is really weird. It won't seem to tighten up properly. It's a normal looking clamp but has a piece of plastic in the middle.......fully tightened it still seems slack.

Sounds like it maybe worth another look then matey