How to - Prevent 370 steering lock failure

Kev T

Having read extensively about the steering lock failure, even the supposed revision C/D i decided to take fate in my own hands and remove the fuse that controls it, not wishing to be stranded or being given a hefty bill by Nissan to replace it when my warrenty runs out in a few months time!

Many people in the USA have done this mod which takes about 10mins to do without any issue whatsoever and of course is replaceable in the same amount of time should you require to do so. I have lifted the pics from the American site cos my camera battery flat, so everything in pics is on the opposite side on our cars ( passenger side ) under battery cover

I first removed the battery cover held by push clips...

th_user2381_pic55405_1348065331_zpscae8467f.jpg

Remove the battery bracket. There are 4 plastic clip holding it. Pop the plastic clip open with a flat headed screw driver and pull it out. Slide the bracket towards the passenger side wing as the bracket is under the stiffening bar.

th_user2381_pic55404_1348065331_zpsf0e9af40.jpg

Remove HALF of the plastic weather strip. The weather strip goes all the way to the driver side so you don't have to remove the entire thing. There are 4-5 clips that needs to unplug. To remove them, gently twists and pull upwards (these clips are plastic so they will break).

th_user2381_pic55402_1348065331_zpsa9e65646.jpg

You can now fully access the fuse box. Pop open the two clips and slide the box upwards.

th_IMG_1441_zpsffe32817.jpgth_user2381_pic55401_1348065331_zps4cdbe169.jpg

Open the box and locate the fuse and remove it.

The first picture shows where I pulled the fuse and the second one denotes it's location in the box.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN 'ACCESSORY' MODE FIRST!!!!

Good guide, i don't know anything about the steering lock issue on 370's tbh but thought i'd share.

I used to have an early '55' reg E90 BMW 3 series and these were prone to steering lock failures, i read on the BMW forums that this problem is worse/caused by parking with the wheels turned. I always straightened the wheels when parking.

Probably won't be helpful to anyone but you never know, it could be a similar fault.

Forgive me for my ignorance but by pulling the fuse what does your car stop doing. By this I mean does it mean to start the car you need to have the fob in the fob holder or something? Or does it just stop your car locking the steering when off?

It stops the steering lock engaging when you turn the engine off.

The worry for me is that without the lock it makes theft easier for pros who use low-loaders or those possibly towing the car away, albeit the alarm may need disabling. And then there is also the consideration about the effect on the insurance cover............ something to consider.

But as the key is still required to start the engine it is still relatively secure, hence why it is doubly important to make sure the key(s) are always kept safe.

It stops the steering lock engaging when you turn the engine off.

The worry for me is that without the lock it makes theft easier for pros who use low-loaders or those possibly towing the car away, albeit the alarm may need disabling. And then there is also the consideration about the effect on the insurance cover............ something to consider.

But as the key is still required to start the engine it is still relatively secure, hence why it is doubly important to make sure the kety(s) are always kept safe.

Agreed, the other option is try and pick a slu up when a car is being broken for a reasonable price.

Great guide but call me paranoid about insurance companies jumping at any excuse to not pay out 20k or more, something along the lines of " I definitely haven't done this to my car but the the following is an option....." ????

There are insurance providers on this forum.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

[quote name='gstraw' timestamp='1452371947' post='1572265']
Thread revival but how can I check that the steering lock has been done on recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
When I took mine in for a service. The guy actually told me that mine hadn't been done and that he would have it done before giving the car back. I'm assuming they have a list of cars that are 'at risk' and have/haven't been done.
That was at an HPC (Tunbridge Wells)

• 5 weeks later...

I am totally confused by this now.
I called my Nissan Dealer who checked and stated there were no recalls on 370s even though I gave him the recall number.
As I was sure he was wrong I have just called Nissan UK Customer service.
Highlighting the recall number P3208 and Vin up to 0300691 which would include mine.
Nissan stated there was no recall on record and the P3208 only related to the GTR model.
I went over and over with Nissan how others have had this recall carried out, but they were insistent that there are no recalls on the 370Z related to any steering lock failure????
Where do I go from here, as I am now sure mine has not been done.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...