My neighbours just reversed into my car

jell36

I know I'm asking the impossible but hopefully some of you might be able to give me an idea of cost. My neighbour has just reversed her micra into my Z. I was in the garden having a cigarette and heard a loud crack and then another loud crack a few seconds later, went in the house and looked out the window and saw my neighbour looking at my car. She then knocked on the door and said she was really sorry but she had just reversed and hit my car. So I had a look for any damage with her.

It was dark when it happened and my car was covered in water droplets from the frost that is coming so I could see a few lines on the drivers side front wing and bumper where the water had been cleared away. The damage done is that the flat vertical part of my drivers side front wing has been pulled out a fair bit (so as you look at the front of the car you can see the wing bulge outwards) along with the paint being splintered but only about the size of a thumb nail. Also the front bumper and wing don't line up now (they are not flush with eachother and the gap is uneven).

My neighbour has said it was her and said she would like to avoid insurance if it doesn't cost too much and so has left me to find out the extent of the damage and to let her know the repair cost so she can decide whether to use insurance or not. Also I don't want my insurance going up in price at all so I would prefer to keep away form using insurance companies. I have taken it for a quick 2 minute drive around the block and it seems to drive fine.

What do you think it will cost to repair? (obviously only talking ball park numbers)

Does anyone have any recommended body shops in Nottingham?

Should I inform the police or my insurance company of what has happened anyway?

I will take some photos of the damage tomorrow when it's daylight.

Edited by jell36

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that mate :angry: i take it shes fully insured and willing to either go through insurance or pay for the damage herself..?

I pressume she is fully insured but yeah depending on the cost she will either pay me direct or claim through her insurance. To be honest I'm not pi**ed off, these things happen and that's what insurance is for. She's a nice old lady in her late 50's who has lived opposite me for about 4 years, she was quite shook up about it and I feel for her so don't want it to cost her a fortune if I can help it.

I'm in Nottingham mate, my Bro has a body shop, more than happy to take/direct you for a decent quote if you want to avoid the insurance companys

Sounds good to me, if you could PM the details that would be great, the more options I have the better and if they come recommended then that's a bonus. A friend has given me the details for Gary Knight who is supposed to be a good body sho place in Colwick.

nice of her to come knock on the door and let you know (even though you heard it yourself but still)

I reversed into my sisters car the other week, nothing major couple of number plate bolt dents in rear of my bumper, no visible damage to hers ( i was going very slow and sounded worse then it was)

still shes doesnt know this :ninja:

nice of her to come knock on the door and let you know (even though you heard it yourself but still)

It certainly was good of her, I have thanked her for her honesty and because of that and just generally she is a nice woman I'm hoping it wont cost her too much.

this happened to me in 2010 - if you claim through your insurance - its classed as a "no-fault" claim and providing she or her insurance pays up in full, you just have to declare it as such at future renewals. I can confirm it does not affect your renewal prices.

Got back to my car last year to find this...

cardent.jpg

Be careful of damage you can't see! I thought mine was just bodywork but it turned out a large metal bar going across the front had also been snapped so wing would not be like before so needed to be replaced. That made the cost of repair shoot up massively!

Thankfully the damage looks no way near as bad as that :wacko:

this happened to me in 2010 - if you claim through your insurance - its classed as a "no-fault" claim and providing she or her insurance pays up in full, you just have to declare it as such at future renewals. I can confirm it does not affect your renewal prices.

Are you sure it wont affect my insurance premium even though it's a no fault claim? From reading on google it looks as though some insurance companies do increase premiums for non fault claims. Also I don't want to loose my 4 years no claims bonus but then I guess it's a claim on her insurance and not mine.

cardent.jpg

Be careful of damage you can't see! I thought mine was just bodywork but it turned out a large metal bar going across the front had also been snapped so wing would not be like before so needed to be replaced. That made the cost of repair shoot up massively!

Photo looks worse than it actually was due to sun reflection! Basically if wing has been hit, check out the big metal bar that runs across the front that its attached to. If the bracket has been snapped, wing won't sit properly unless replaced.

Photo looks worse than it actually was due to sun reflection! Basically if wing has been hit, check out the big metal bar that runs across the front that its attached to. If the bracket has been snapped, wing won't sit properly unless replaced.

:thumbs: Is there a way to see the bar without moving the wing? Can I see it from the engine bay? Also my dad is concerned if she has hit the wheel, is that something to be worried about? She would have only been going at about 3mph.

Are you sure it wont affect my insurance premium even though it's a no fault claim? From reading on google it looks as though some insurance companies do increase premiums for non fault claims. Also I don't want to loose my 4 years no claims bonus but then I guess it's a claim on her insurance and not mine.

definately

my renewal this week was £312, a bit of meerkat hunting and down to £180 (yes - for a 1yr old 370z) - so yep, it certainly hasn't affected me

Edited by ioneabee

definately

my renewal this week was £312, a bit of meerkat hunting and down to £180 (yes - for a 1yr old 370z) - so yep, it certainly hasn't affected me

:thumbs: and jesus christ that is cheap insurance :scare:

• Like 1