Clutch chatter

cs2000

Hey all. Picked my zed up tonight, it's a 2004GT with 51k miles. All seems ok except for when I'm riding the cluch to go very slowly, as in when doing a 3 point turn, there is a weird chattering noise from the passenger side wheel area.

Earlier I opened the door, the car was stationary and the noise can be heard when engaging/disengaging the clutch even with no gear selected, to clarify, the noise only happens on the engagement or disengagement of the clutch and not when fully engaged.

I've read about and some people say its normal, just the Zed has a noise transmission system.

I need to pop to the dealers as I have a crunch if I change gear at speed from 5th to 6th (slow changes are fine) and I understand that this is a synchro issue so I can ask them too I guess about the other issue.

Edited by cs2000

as far as I'm aware it's the same with mine. 55 plate with 50k odd on the clock. If i dip the clutch then release it I can here a kind of a rattling noise when it's engaged. think its normal for the car.

Edited by wizurd

Amazing forum, thanks for the help. Il read the service receipts as I'd think a gearbox oil change should be part of one of the services?

Either way, il get some molyslip to ease it in the mean time, it's next service is only 6-7k away anyway.

Whatever you do, don't go to Glyn Hopkins Ipswich.

There are choices tho, Team AFM in Martlesham behind Rick Kerry's bodyshop (previously worked on RT Biscuits car), GBH Motorsports in Langham, Colchester (have a 350Z as a regular customer) and my personal recommendation, DMS Motorsport in Erith near Dartford (hidden bonus is the tunnel on the way home)

Ahh very good. I was gonna use glyn Hopkins to keep up my service history. I'd prefer to keep up the Nissan stamps but for other jobs il use one of the others :)

Il probably use team AFM as they're close :)

Edited by cs2000

Could be that your clutch is on its way out if its only doing it when its under most load and doesn't do it between 5th and 6th when there is hardly any load on the clutch. Some ZED clutches were known to go after 30000 miles or so . I'd get it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

Clutch was recently changed, or so i was told.

I have got used to the strange noises the clutch can makes sometimes, but the crunching, il be ordering some new oil and some molyslip from alex in a few days to see if that helps. Otherwise, i've read plenty about the 5>6th gear synchro issues on these cars....