8 months ownership

vansman66

Well after 8 months and 15,000 miles of life with my Roxy what do I have to report.

I defo made the right choice of car against originally looking at a Boxster S for one, the zed suits my manhandling style of driving much better, I love the heavy clutch, steering, gearbox etc, still stop to admire the looks of her and still smile everytime I sit at some traffic lights with some plonker next to me, trying to race me away on the green light, I hope they feel stupid shooting off as I move off gently laughing, whilst keeping my licence ( no licence = no job)

Almost completely trouble free so far ( now I've said it), only thing thats happened is the engine check light coming on, which was soon kindly sorted by a welcome visit to theZedshed armed with munchies.

We've travelled together all over the place, memorable trips include Monza, Assen, Spa, Nurburgring, Zandvoort, Paul Ricard and more, ( benefit of a good job) also flat out through Germany chasing a 512TR ( he was brave) while running late ( rock steady on the autobahn).

Insurance costs is about the same as my last motor, service costs as to be expected I guess by Nissan dealers, MPG no concern for me as I get free 102ron fuel for her ( job perk).

Could I see myself letting her go - well not just yet, she's still more fun than my mrs and at the moment far dirty-er

All in all a great car for not much money.

Long live the Zed.

• Like 2

I work in the motorsport industry as a fuel analysist, the company supplies race fuels to championships and so I go to the events to test competitors fuel for compliance in order to stop possible cheating.

Great job as it is, I actually see very little racing and sod all of the countries I travel too apart from motorways.

Fantastic destinations that they are, wouldn't a return flight ticket make more sense? And also prevent you putting 15k miles on your Zed in 8 months??

I do have fly away events, Interlagos for one this year but for euro events I prefer to drive. I expect to put 25K miles on her this year currently just hit 46,000 on the clock.

Mmmm, everyone knows the zed makes a very decent cross country GT car! If my company provided free petrol, i would drive everywhere - definitely if its a jaunt across europe!

So are there any opportunities for fun and games or is it just out and back, Péages all the way? Surely theres some chances for nice French A roads?

Mmmm, everyone knows the zed makes a very decent cross country GT car! If my company provided free petrol, i would drive everywhere - definitely if its a jaunt across europe!

So are there any opportunities for fun and games or is it just out and back, Péages all the way? Surely theres some chances for nice French A roads?

Off course I would be telling porkies if I said I dont get much chance to enjoy the roads on the return back but going out I need to arrive asap as I dont leave our HQ until the day prior to official practise, in most cases so I generally stick company card use for tolls.

I need a new job this year, the trouble is I've no idea what to go into next, your one sounds interesting for sure.

Me too, Im not getting any younger and I dont really care for my current profession but I have no idea what I'd like to do for the next 30 years.....

i want 102 RON fuel :( . Does anywhere in the UK sell anything above Vpower strength?

Tesco's is 99 but I'm not putting it in my car.

dErZ: I think we need a job thread !

Both tesco and v power are 99 Ron so tesco is not actually higher.

Why would you not be ok with the tesco 99, its well regarded in a range of car clubs?

Sent using Tapatalk.

i want 102 RON fuel :( . Does anywhere in the UK sell anything above Vpower strength?

There are no longer any service stations selling anything higher than 102ron in the UK since BP stopped their 102 Ultimate, you can only purchase from companies selling race fuels in packed 25 litre drums upwards and you would be looking at £2.60p per litre as a starting price, without building the engine around the fuel, or indeed other mods plus re mapping in either case, you would see sod all gains.

Nice little write up :)

I need a new job this year, the trouble is I've no idea what to go into next, your one sounds interesting for sure.

its funny really, I often get asked what I do for a living and usually answer by just saying I work in the oil and fuels industry, I usually then get probed for more inform and generally say I look after the motorsport division for the company, then comes the usual reply of how interesting my job must be, travelling all over the Uk and Europe, going to all these circuits, seeing all the racing etc etc, then comes my reply of many hours driving to venues, not seeing much more of a country other than from motorways, not seeing any racing because I spend up to 16 hours each day of the event either fuel testing or helping deliver fuel and lubricants to teams, eating nothing more than junk food blah blah blah but at the end of a season and the winter months of not being at the events I just cant wait to get back to it, being surrounded by the atmosphere, its what i do and love it to bits. So I guess I consider myself very lucky to have this job, although a pay rise would be nice.

• Like 1

Why would you not be ok with the tesco 99, its well regarded in a range of car clubs?

Do some digging on it.

I mean using it here and there, fine but I 'run' my car on Shell, all I'm saying is I wouldn't on that tesco stuff.

vansman66:

I presume you have a relevant degree which helped ?

Do some digging on it.

I mean using it here and there, fine but I 'run' my car on Shell, all I'm saying is I wouldn't on that tesco stuff.

vansman66:

I presume you have a relevant degree which helped ?

Rob - A life degree of 34 years practical motorsport experience, first as a young Kart racer, then cars and bikes, then scrutineering, moving onto fuel and lubricants.