Dodgy Petrol Gauge

As of late, my petrol gauge has been incredibly inaccurate and whenever my petrol light comes on, my engine warning light does as well (is this normal in a zed?).

I can start my car sometimes and it'll be saying I've got 30 or so miles left in the tank and my petrol light comes on, thus putting my engine warning light on. This has happened when I've filled the tank up the night before now as well. Within 5-10 minutes of me switching the engine on, the gauge returns to it's normal position, petrol light goes off but my engine warning light stays on.

Sometimes now I can put say £50 of petrol in, and it's still staying down below 1/4 of a tank. There's no petrol leaks anywhere and if I drive the car until the on board computer says 0 miles DTE, it's still happily going along because it has plenty of petrol in it. Because of this, the on board computer is telling me I'm currently getting 0.4 MPG!!!

Anyone got some recommendations on how to fix this? It's getting really annoying now....

There is a big thread on fixing this but it is far more than I would ever contemplate doing it involved pretty much almost removing the petrol tank :surrender:

Papa has a very nice scanguage, not the cheapest option but works very well from what he tells me and doubles as a diagnostic for the ECU and lots of other nice features :wink:

Check out the guides section for cleaning the petrol guage sender units, bit of a fiddle though. Not heard issues regarding engine light coming on with faulty fuel gauge though.

+1 I would think this is you issue. Don't be too scared of removing your sender units, any reasonable DIYer should be capable. It just seems daunting.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/54763-how-to-fix-the-inaccurate-fuel-gauge/

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Just remember to get some new 'O-Rings' before you start and don't over tighten the screws holding the senders in.

They can't take much torque, I know as stripped one. Luckily the seal is holding.....phew!!!

Zmanalex can supply the 'O'-Rings so drop him a PM. Potentially others can also but I used Alex and I don't know names of others.

Edited by SteveW

I noticed the other day I had 30miles left apparently but no fuel light came on... hmm. Dunno because I wasn't driving fast enough for it to come on yet or what lol. I'll need to keep an eye on that.