Light shaking/shivering

adam1942

When I'm driving over some bumps I can see that my light is "shaking/Shiver" or if I'm going past signs I can see the light "shaking/Shivering" on the reflection..

Has anyone seen this before? I hope its not the light reflector within the light casing and just a loose bulb.. has anyone any ideas of what it could be or where I should look? It passed MOT but it only happens when driving and I don't want to be blinding anyone with the Bi-Xenons :(

Edited by adam1942

Could it just be the suspension rebound? As the light is projected some distance, when you see the wobble it's amplified by the distance the light travels. I also read in the handbook the headlights are self-levelling on the HR models, which might be another consideration

Edited by Z-monster

I believe these headlights use a ballest to ignite the vapour within the lamp then keep it running in much the same way as a fluorescent light works.

I'm thinking it might be a faulty ballest or loose connection to it. Do both lights flicker or just the one ? ( not sure if there's a ballest for each headlight or one for both)

z-monster Its not the suspension rebound as its only happening on one light :(

Dicky - There's a ballest for each light its screwed on with 3 screws to the back of each lamp and its only the left hand side..

What I've notice is if I hit the light with my hand the silver part inside is shaking however if I do this on the passenger side it does not! Is there a few screws or something that holds this part tight?

Edited by adam1942

On most cars with headlamp adjusters the inside silver parts actually pivot, the electrical adjuster 'holds' the inside on either the top or the bottom and pushes or pulls it which aims the lights up or down so there wont actually be (to my knowledge) any screws or anything physically holding the inside in place.

Perhaps it may wobble if the adjuster is adjusted 100% one way? dont know really.

heh, as i said, the way i described is the same with most cars, however some could theoretically have the reflector screwed/bonded in place and the adjuster just move the HID projector unit.

Seems a rather fiddly way of doing things however.