Courier/Delivery Horror Storys

sjcdeans

Its around this time of year the whole postage system goes up the spout. After some very bizarre incidents I would rather go to 'a shop' and buy stuff at a higher price than rely on companies getting stuff to me in time.

The worst incident I had, which tragically was also the funniest, was waiting for a parcel I paid next day delivery for with UPS about two weeks before christmas, a week later nothing. So I chased and chased it, they promised delivery, I worked at home, nothing. Then I went to work got home and missed parcel, so I contacted them and said I would come and collect it so arranged to shift my work around so I could go get it. Rocked up at the sorting office and it was rammed, they couldn't find anyones stuff. About 40 people waiting in there. 2 1/2 hours later they announced that everything was out on delivery whether you said you would collect or not and that we should 'rush home' to intercept it.

I got home, nothing. Next day I was off work and it arrived! Next day delivery took eleven days plus endless messing around with work. So, I had a chat with the delivery guy:

Col: I paid next day on this, even arranged to collect and I waited eleven days now!

Delivery dude: Sorry about that mate, wouldn't use UPS at all if I were you.

Col: Really, why?

Delivery dude: Bunch of jokers down at that sorting office. Last night they didn't even unload my undelivered's, just left all the post in the backs of all the vans overnight out in the car park because they wanted to get down the pub early and have a lie in this morning.

Col: WHAT!

Delivery dude: Yep been like that the last few days, not bothering to unload the vans at night because its busy. I got a load of extra stuff to deliver today that should have been picked up so I got an extra long day.

Col: Isn't that annoying? You seem quite calm about it?

Delivery dude: Not really, my last day. Merry Christmas!

And he drove off into the sunset.

That, is a true story.

• Like 1

I had an undelivered card left for me on Friday for 2 parcels, went to the Royal mail depot last night to collect.

All going well so far........

But it wasn't until i got home i had a parcel for a young lady with the same surname as me, doesn't even live anywhere near me. So i called the depot and they can't find my second parcel and i have to take the poor girls parcel that was given to me back to the depot at my expense.

Royal Mail have broken so many parcels that i have taken so much care in wrapping carefully, there insurance etc is also worthless, the most i've had as re-imbersement has been a book of 6 first class stamps.

Well done Royal Mail, you never fail to dissapoint.

I send about 1 parcel a week and if its small i use MyHermes and if its big i use Interparcel which usually contract via citylink.

Both are good to me but my local MyHermes courier is great, he will always collect/drop off parcels to my garage. I also have the guys phone number so if i need a car part earlier on in the day he will drop if off for me :D

But i had some wine delivered from London by MyHermes for Christmas, it was dispatched on the 5th and only arrived today, 14 days for a 3-5 day service. The system cant cope and they screwed up......but TBH i will still use them. As the good outshines the bad.

I also had a chat with the city link driver last week (when he was collection the exhaust for a member on here), it was 3pm and he still had 92 parcels to deliver.....they weren't offered Christmas bonus (even though they are a lot busier in this peroid) and as an 'incentive' they were offered £100 to work saturday AM for 4 days in november/december. After tax that works out at £20 a day or £4 an hour.

Bit of a joke really!

Last week i heard my post coming through my letterbox. There was a card saying that Royal Mail had tried to deliver a parcel but there was no answer.

I though thats weird, no one had chapped my door. Anyway I went to collect it the next day only to discover it was my new number plates with my private reg on them that my dealer had sent me registered delivery. All i can say is that I thought they had sent me a boomerang. I refused to sign for them, gave Royal Mail a return address and I'm now waiting on an outcome.

Now I know why the post man didn't chap the door! "The wee Dick"!

As for the bonus issue for 'working harder in busy periods' am I missing a joke here or something? I work in market research, christmas for us is also one of our busiest periods, thats life, sometimes your job is busy, sometimes it is quiet it all evens out. Am a little confused as to why people demand money to work a bit harder because its busy? Or maybe I am being a bit too harsh... :dry:

• Like 1

As for the bonus issue for 'working harder in busy periods' am I missing a joke here or something? I work in market research, christmas for us is also one of our busiest periods, thats life, sometimes your job is busy, sometimes it is quiet it all evens out. Am a little confused as to why people demand money to work a bit harder because its busy? Or maybe I am being a bit too harsh... :dry:

+1

I'd like a Christmas bonus. Busiest time for me too! Will I get one? Hell no! Part of the job. Do they expect a bonus for Valentines day too? Bet they're busy then too!

I think you are being a little harsh. If the couriers want to keep there employee's they need to keep them happy. Overloading them with parcels at christmas time is not the way to do this....

I just think a little incentive goes a long way.... :)

Getting couriers to find me is my main problem. Here's why.

clip_image005_zps1d072187.png

Not much I can do, as I'm the only house down there and as the land is private the council won't touch it. The land owner has cut them back since Google Maps visited us but it'll be back like that again next summer :surrender:.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I think you are being a little harsh. If the couriers want to keep there employee's they need to keep them happy. Overloading them with parcels at christmas time is not the way to do this....

I just think a little incentive goes a long way.... :)

The employer is not overloading them, its just the nature of the business, its busy at christmas. Fine if they want to reward them thats their prerogative but some sort of thinking that you HAVE to bonus people just to work when their job gets busy, well thats farcical. Not as if its a rare skill and there are no people around that can 'drive a van and knock on someones door to deliver a parcel' although as we have seen even that is beyond some people.

Lucky not everyone has the same mentality 'oh its busy - I need money to work a bit harder' otherwise this country would be in an even worse state than it is now.