Speed Cameras

Payco

Just canvassing for opinions from any of you who have a detector fitted in their Z. Which brand / model do you have fitted and in your opinion was it a good investment / gadget ?. Looking at maybe buying a Snooper 3zero and having it hard wired into the car. I am dont drive the car agressively and am not a careless driver but for the investment versus the cost of potentioal points/insurance increase thought it might be a good idea and another gadget for the car too. What do you all think ?.

Hey Martin, why didn't you say when you were up?

I have the same snooper and its very good. It's a bit unsure with lasers, picks some up but not others and unsure if that's because the police are being clever.

Good piece of kit :thumbs:

Ian,

Thanks. I did speak to you about yours when I was up amongst all the other stuff we discussed, just couldn't remember which one you had. It's looking like i may purchase and get one fitted next week when i have a few days off. Thanks buddy..

Martin

I just want to give you the heads up on these. You will read lots and lots about these things being legal, it's well documented and written on sellers web sites and other forums etc etc. So, just so you know, buying one, owning one is fine, even using it can be fine BUT. There is a power to seize the unit AND the vehicle if certain conditions are met. I'm only trying to give you a bit of warning, if your stopped be very very careful about what you say as you may find yourself in a state of shock when your pride and joy gets dragged onto a low loader. :rant:

I just want to give you the heads up on these. You will read lots and lots about these things being legal, it's well documented and written on sellers web sites and other forums etc etc. So, just so you know, buying one, owning one is fine, even using it can be fine BUT. There is a power to seize the unit AND the vehicle if certain conditions are met. I'm only trying to give you a bit of warning, if your stopped be very very careful about what you say as you may find yourself in a state of shock when your pride and joy gets dragged onto a low loader. :rant:

Do you have details of this 'power' elaborate further.

No worries Martin, there was a lot of discussion :thumbs:

I used to resell speed camera detectors many years back, but now I just use a free sat nav app called "waze" on my smart phone. It has all the speed camera locations in it, and users can report mobile traps / police / hazards which instantly show up on other users phones. So for me its a great all-in-one solution. In fact im just in the middle of installing a 7" android tablet in my beemer to use rather than the OEM sat nav.

Outside of that I used to use a bell 440 (i think) radar / laser detector, but really not much point these days. Most mobile traps are laser rather than radar, and with laser, as soon as it hits you its clocked your speed, so the warning the detector gives you is far too late. Hence people developing "laser jammers" which jam the laser long enough for you to slow down. Although as far as I know those are illegal to use. Most fixed position truvelo speed cameras are infra-red, so its only the old style gatso cameras which use radar. Also, I used to find, if the fixed position speed camera is pointing away from you (i.e to get your rear plate as you drive by), the detector doesnt pick up the radar signal until too late.

It is fun though, seeing how many of the gatso cameras actually are working.

Edited by rabbitstew

Hi,

Does this system alert you to the SPECS average speed system.

Yes it does, but only via installed maps. I think it's £35 per year for updated maps. I've not updated mine, but will do probably next year.

I think the app from PocketGPSWorld is cheaper than that per year. Sounds similar in that the database is updated by users of the system. There is an iPhone and Android app I think.

Hi,

Does this system alert you to the SPECS average speed system.

Yes it does, but only via installed maps. I think it's £35 per year for updated maps. I've not updated mine, but will do probably next year.

Do you have details of this 'power' elaborate further.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/49/section/18

However this legislation is prospective and to the best of my knowledge isn't yet active.

I could see an arguement that if you are found to be using a detector that also (purposefully or not) jams a handheld detector then you may be viewed as obstructing..

After some research on suitable devices, I have been informed that the latest TOM TOM LIVE SAT NAVS are running Road Angel Gem software.

Can anybody confirm this information.

My scource suggested that Road Angel would no longer be selling there own product but would be purely supplying software packages for TOM TOM. only.

I used to have road angel and snooper systems of various sorts, worked fine.

I now use gps location of the cameras/ sites though. All mobile sites are published (they actually publish them in the local paper too so it's no secret). I use the tom tom to detect mine and as it's their 'live' system, it's automatically updated. I would go for this now, the mobile detectors are a bit old hat/ pricey for what they do.

Mobile laser jammers are illegal although it's very hard to get enough evidence to prosecute. IMHO, you'd need to be doing high speeds fairly regularly to really make that sort of risk worthwhile. And if you've been warned that their may be a trap there, there's no need to be speeding through it anyway.