REMAP IS IT SAFE?

Zedrush

I am just in the process of starting up a new buisness, and the money I was gonna spend on a Supercharger (6k) next year Ive had to plough into the premises I bought to get things running quicker on the company. Just something that can bring in a little bit extra cash. (and no its not a strip joint :teeth: )

So was wondering, I just want a bit extra power so was thinking of a remap... only problem is is that Ive heard so many stories of engines blowing up Im kinda scared to tred down that path. Has anyone here got their engine chipped or is the engine to sensitive for such a procedure.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Guest prescience

This has come up a few times before ;)

Bottom line is that you'll spend a lot of money (£800-£1200) for AT BEST a modest gain (12-15Hp or 4-5%).

I defy anyone to assure you that 'it will be safe' either

that's a bit harsh. never heard of a NA remap/piggyback tune do any damage tbh.

Wrt Z remap/mapping knowledge in the Uk though, we are definitely lacking.

I'm still chasing up paul @ TDi north and despite the numerous calls/email he just won't commit to a date. He's either VERY busy, or scared

Guest prescience

It's not harsh at all - see the thread title; can you assure him that it will be safe, I think not and on what basis could you - please advise!

My take is that Nissan spent X millions developing the ECU with all its foibles wrt mods etc. Experience of use suggests that their map is safe. On what basis is it possible without investing same sums to guarantee (assure - same word) safe operation for a tune which diverts from the base??

You can't, no way - it's a fundamental given surely that you tune your car at your own risk and you rely on a body of evidence for assurance. Which does not exist in the UK for the Z (albeit that it does exist to a greater extent in the US). The precise reason why people do their research based on the US forums - and take a view.

:)

The zed like many modern cars is tuned to close to optimum from the factory. Any mods are going to be really chucking good money after bad, it aint like the days of ripping a single carb off a pinto and sticking on webbers or 4 socks.

Some cars though will take to modding, those that come with factory turbos for instance are more rewarding to mod over a n/a apication. That said the GM LSx range come over fueled for long distance reliability in the outback and to remove any undue stresses whilst still giving great performance. As a comparison to the Zed I just had my exhaust and headers replaced (equiv to the Zed exhaust and cat by pass really) and the difference is not to be soffed at. I have gone from 333bhp measured to 385bhp but the main difference is the torque has raised to 395ft/lb. Thats from the system and a remap.

For the same price the Zed will still chuck out pretty much stock figures because it comes in a box already close to optimum tune.

Personally, on teh zed, I wouldnt consider it on an NA.

On a further note, on LSx tuning the remaps are pretty much guaranteed and even backed by main dealer warranty because they are that sure of the work and reliability. IT speaks volumes you cant get that for a zed remap.

It's not harsh at all - see the thread title; can you assure him that it will be safe, I think not and on what basis could you - please advise!

My take is that Nissan spent X millions developing the ECU with all its foibles wrt mods etc. Experience of use suggests that their map is safe. On what basis is it possible without investing same sums to guarantee (assure - same word) safe operation for a tune which diverts from the base??

You can't, no way - it's a fundamental given surely that you tune your car at your own risk and you rely on a body of evidence for assurance. Which does not exist in the UK for the Z (albeit that it does exist to a greater extent in the US). The precise reason why people do their research based on the US forums - and take a view.

:)

I could ask the same: give me evidence worldwide of a NA remap (be it technosquare, aam) or NA piggyback retune (UTEC) where it's not been safe and it has led to catastrophic failure. I've never seen any evidence of a retune on a NA motor leading to issues.

The title is asking whether it is SAFE remapping a NA motor, and yes it is.

The fact that it won't unlock major gains, is another story.

it depends on the remap though!

What I'm surprised at is just how many "reputable" tuning houses are willing to whack in a remap from a preconfigured source without fine tuning for individual cars. That imo is not safe. I'm not sure on the UTEC route etc, do they actually remap the car on a dyno individually or is it a drive in drive out service?

Guest prescience

The title is asking whether it is SAFE remapping a NA motor, and yes it is.

Well, you heard it here first, a cast-iron guarantee ;)

well show me evidence that a NA remap is unsafe then. You can be as sarcastic as you like, but without evidence it's only your opinion.

As is yours hence your cannot say the map is safe nor can Dorian say its not. :yawn:

I can.

multiple experiences in the US with all the remap solutions on NA engines I have mentioned above, have not lead to any catastrophic failure

I agree with the fact that it won't unlock major gains (as I already stated), but saying a NA remap/retune is not safe is just not true.

Same can be said about suspension or any other component on the car.

• 1 month later...

Remapping an ecu is not inherently unsafe.

If the techncian undertaking the recalibration makes a mistake or is not sufficiently qualified/experienced, it possible for him to upload settings that are unsafe for the engine.

If the recalibration is done properly, the 350Z n/a engine should be perfectly safe.

The difficulty for the unitiated, is choosing the right person/company to undertake the work.

Hope this helps :)

Think also when Nissan develop a car they establish not only power outputs...

They have to balance the whole performance aspects .

Extra power will/can reduce the consumption figures , this then has an effect in homologation issues, other effects are engine noise , ESP tuning, ABS tuning, and even down to cabin noise, booming noise, air intake noise, transmission durability, heat damaqe to surrounding parts etc... etc...

a whole host of performance index...which may or maynot be directly related to engine performance

The engine ECU will be design to achieve a power output which has been deemed suitable to be competitve against other models out there...

but also and more importantly it will be designed to assure the reliability of the engine and components to say some stupid figure such as 500 thou miles ... and to ensure other vehicle targets are not affected ( mainly things like noise, vibration, harnsness...)

From this perspective if your focus is power , then it is possible to sacrifice other performance aspects ( noise, comfort etc..) and get some modest gains....

but again Nissan will optimise the best performance from the engine, so generating more power will generate more heat and stress which inherently will decrese the long term durability of the engine...

(1000bhp R34 requires a lot more love and care than a std R34... right?)

So a remap professionally done aiming to achieve small power output should be ok... so long as the guys KNOW what they are doing.

"Rawhide re-maps" would not be my choise of places to go and tamper with ECU settings...

know the facts... before you jump into something... :p

There are plenty of cars out there with remaps , but you have to be able tp understand where it is safe to remap and continue as normal... or where the remaps etc... will require you to take additional steps to run the car (extra maintenance, extra upgrades, etc...)