Scratched cubby hole button, ideas?

TameRacingDriver

My cubby hole button lets the interior of the car down quite a bit.

I was thinking of sanding it down and spraying it, but it seems you've got to remove most of the dashboard to remove just a single button? Or can it be done easier than this?

Or is there any other ideas where I could just cover it up with a sticker or something?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Really easy to remove mate! remove centre trim as if you are pulling the stereo out (guides are on here). Then remove cubby with 4 philips crews, then take 2 hinge screws out (again philips) and watch you don't lose the springs.

Then remove the small screws on the back of the cubby door and it exposes the button and catch mechanism.

REMOVE, PAINT AND REPLACE! Easy :thumbs:

Edited by R35LEE

If it's a pre-facelift: you have to take the inside of the cubby door off, which realistically means taking it off the dash, which means taking the dash off the car, which means taking the gear surround trim off first. Fair amount of faff, but if it's something that's annoying you it's probably worth it.

DB

My theory. Its a high mileage car, 138K miles. Previous owner was a woman. I reckon, blonde, orange skin, long nails type. Nails have scratched the button!? Yeah, it is a mess, now you know why I want to sort it out.

So, I gather it is this....

If it's a pre-facelift: you have to take the inside of the cubby door off, which realistically means taking it off the dash, which means taking the dash off the car, which means taking the gear surround trim off first. Fair amount of faff, but if it's something that's annoying you it's probably worth it.

... that I am facing!?

Looks like Feddie Krueger owned that Zed before you...

:lol:

Weird thing is, the rest of it is in excellent condition for its age.

I know it was a blonde "TOWIE" style woman because I've smelt the seat. :teeth:

Did she leave a few bits of her Vagazzle there :shrug:

Could be interesting if you put the heated seat on..... Eau de Essex :lol:

Gently scratch the rest of that soft surface layer of rubber off. See what it looks like with just the black hard plastic underneath. Would probably look better than it does at the mo.

My stereo volume knob was all scratched up like that on my facelift Zed. For some reason when I was sat in the car waiting for somebody to come out of the shop one day I started scratching the rubber off with my finger nail. Next thing I knew it was all gone and it's looks like new, lol.

Should I sand it? Tried it with my nail but I'd be there all day.

Na I wouldn't sand it. You dont want to scratch the black plastic underneath you see. Something like your finger nail is ideal as it won't scratch the underneath.

It's only an idea.

I've got the same problem mate. I tried picking it off with my nail but was taking way too long. In the end I wrapped it....it's a bit rough round the edges but looks better than all the scratches. Mines a facelift and the shape of the button is different as you pull it up so yours would probably be easier to do