Rust, rear?

Luke0549

Hi,

Just had a look under my car, and I knew there was going to be rust as its a 52 jdm with 90k.

It's pretty rusty under there and I managed to take a picture.

Can someone identify the actual name of this part and how much a replacement is?

89CB0B2C-1947-4AB6-87C0-19A33AF740A0-1019-00000099344F9B1C.jpg

Many thanks.

I wouldn't have said that there is anything there that is terminal - it all looks to be surface corrosion.

Happy to be proven wrong if you can put a finger through it...?

I would take a wire brush or flap wheel to it and then give it a few coats of hammerite or similar after some rust proofer. Then top it off with some gravitex for good measure

Rear cross brace thingy :lol: dead technical :)

4 bolts drop it off clean and re-spray after rust treatment,

the bit above is part of the car (not removable) good clean and some rust seal maybe a spot of paint good to go :thumbs:

I wouldn't have said that there is anything there that is terminal - it all looks to be surface corrosion.

Happy to be proven wrong if you can put a finger through it...?

I would take a wire brush or flap wheel to it and then give it a few coats of hammerite or similar after some rust proofer. Then top it off with some gravitex for good measure

Agree with that. Purely cosmetic. Alternatively, just remove it and clean it up if you want it to look good again. Highly unlikely that it needs replacing.

That will be the "W" brace, same again clean rust seal and paint

Half sand blasted

CC4.jpg

DSCF3087.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

Be warned it has a lot of 10mm captive bolts in it (Buster) snapped most of mine taking it off

I had to do some repairs to mine

DSCF2834.jpg

and weld in new bolts

DSCF2836.jpg

Under mine before the it got colourful :lol:

DSCF2868.jpg

Hope it helps :thumbs:

Also, can the car be driven without it on?

Yes to the front one - not sure about the rear - it holds the rear subframe on I suppose you could put a big washer on instead?

I would NOT recommend driving without them -and certainly not hard cornering but should be OK to move the car around carefully.

• 1 year later...

I have all the bits rust free if anyone needs them? The W-Braces rust through over time. thin I have 3 left.

How much do these go for? I don't know if mine needs replaced, but if the exhaust system is anything to go by I suspect the W brace was also manufactured by Cadbury's on behalf of Nissan.