Recommend me some roads/places

At the end of November I've got a week off work (Hurrah!!) and me and the girlfriend are thinking of going for a nice long drive in the Zed. I live just south of London and looking to preferably head up north, stay overnight somewhere and drive back the next day.

I've got relatives in Newcastle & Aberdeen so I'll probably swing by there and I've always wanted to see John o' Groats. May have to swing by Manchester and check out Old Trafford as the last time I went there I was about 6.

I've only driven up north once and that was to Carlisle so any road recommendations etc would be brilliant. When you join on the M6 and see 300something miles to go, it's a tad depressing.

Come off the motorway at Moffat (not far over the border) and take the scenic route to Edinburgh. This is known as "the beef tub" road and is a good road for the Z (maybe not in the ice though!). You can then head over the fourth road bridge to Dundee and up to Aberdeen. John O Grots is a fair way from Aberdeen. The further up you go, the better the roads get to be honest!

Yeah I'm aware I might not fit everything in. Just the Zed's in need of a good long run, so combining that and time with the girlfriend is the main aim. Any sights/relatives that we see is just a bonus but would be nice. I love long drives but because of work I've not managed to go on one since about April/March time.

m6 is quick but very dull. If your not going through rush hour in south england, id go the a1/m1 and stick on it til you get to the east of edinburgh. Alot more winding roads, some awesome scenery at the coast and sometimes a few caravans (which there wont be many of at this time of the year)

As for actual roads while your there, no idea im afraid

No point going up to Scotland for one night, you won't do it justice, hell, not even a week is long enough! Best plan would be South Wales and the Breacons/Black Mountain. B4560, A4059, and A4069 (Famous Evo hairpin road)

CV20tBQg.jpg

I remember reding this in EVO (October edition) whilst on holiday. I'm going to do this sometime soon. North Yorkshire Moors 3 roads to take note of. All run North to South accross Heath land. First the A169 from Pickering to Sleights, secnod the unmarked road from Hutton-le-Hole to Castletonalong Blakey Ridge and finally the B1257 Between Helmsley and Stokesley. Where to stay? Dunsley Hall at the top of the A169, the Mallyan Spout, White swan Inn at Pickering or Red Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge.