Surprised more people haven't tried this. Really improved my Z

perrin21

Ok i know some will hate this idea but i will start by saying this is not for those who value safety and its intended for people who want to experience the true thrill of the car for experimentation purposes only.

Its been a few years since i had my 350Z but this mod transformed the car and for me seemed to improve all aspects of the driving experience by fully removing the traction control interference felt when attempting to push the limits of the car.

Im sure many already know that simply turning off the traction control actually doesnt fully disengage the system and from memory, anytime i tried to drift the car it seemed to turn itself back on again.

This is what i found that made the difference.

Lift up the center console and look near the gearstick for a small sensor labeled Bosch. (about the size of a matchbox) and simply unplug the loom that goes into this.

When you turn on your car you will now see a permanent icon on the dash warning that the traction control is now off, however the ABS is still fully engaged.

This 5 minute mod seemed to improve not only acceleration and cornering but it also made the car more predictable to drive and for some reason i also saw a small improvement in fuel economy although this could be subjective. Give it a try and let me know what you think. :) Hope you like the difference. I certainly did, it made the car for me.

I'm sure I read this on the US forum a few months back and was gonna do it next time on track. But was going to fit a switch instead of just disconnecting it.

Disconnecting the yaw sensor will stop traction control and stability control kicking in (stopping it applying the brakes mid corner when you start to slide)

It will not give you more mpg or faster acceleration (unless you were previously kicking in the traction control)

It would definately improve the car on track, but be very careful if considering doing this on the road. And make sure you have premium tyres fitted if you do.

i don't see the benefit personally, turning it off at the switch worked just fine for me. and should be more than adequate for road use. of course if you are tracking your car then this might make sense. even then i didn;t find it really intrusive. it might be your steering inputs are too erratic as is your right foot.

...which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't quite so sensitive. You can fool it when trail braking, but you have to be incredibly precise or it'll try and tip the car more than you expect. I've managed it on occasion, but to do consistently is almost impossible.

For 99% of drivers it's a non-issue, and they wouldn't notice either way, but if you must have absolute control over everything then this is a cracking way to do it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Traction control is disabled, but the stability program isn't. The stability program will auto brake the appropriate wheel when it thinks you're about to spin.

This is my reasoning for the save in fuel economy. If the vehicle isn't constantly braking itself, its using less power from the engine. Also it isn't restricting acceleration constantly which is countered by your right foot having to bring the speed back up following its intervention all the time.

I would also throw in an outside of the box train of thought that its also safer, heres why? Car threatens to bite you, you back off. With the knowledge there isnt a nanny watching you, it actually serves the purpose of teaching you to respect the car and drive to the conditions.

Edited by perrin21

Hey there Prof Perrin, i really reckon you've hit on something here and for those doing a bit of ****-taking, well the less said the better. When you have the proprietor of one of the most respected tuning houses in the country pretty much agreeing with you and explaining why it did this a round of applause ,a pat on the back & i'll buy you a beer if we link up at a show. I am going to use the dummy switch next to the two heated front seat switches to do as suggested and mount a seperate rocker switch specifically for this job.