Call me mad, but.....

Posidrive

The Zed and I are off to the Alps for a week of Skiing in February so we need to get her kitted out. Your recommendations please. Before I get flamed as being insane, I spent 4 years driving in canada is far worse snow than we ever see in Europe and have had snow and ice driver training.

Tires: Any recommendations on Winter tires and a good place to source them?

Chains: Anyone ever used them, got any recommendations

Wheels: I have been thinking about getting a cheap/used set just for Winter tires. Any ideas?

I wouldn't recommend chains for the Zed, potentially slapping the plastic inner arches.

Snow socks are a possible when its bad, but can't be driven on dry roads.

Brave I have to say, especially with potential snow on the mountain roads ad rear wheel drive.

You'll have difficulty finding chains to fit unless you specifically fit undersized winter tyres. There is generally clearance issues with this type of car, although there are some narrow fit chains available. Depending on where you go it is illegal to travel in some parts of the Alps without chains, for good reason, so this may be a non starter unless you can find the right combo. Best of luck.

:cold:

Get ya self back to Canada and get a rental, they use better road salt and you can have as may tank slappers as you want for the excess.

Oh......and on the West Coast the powder is much better than Europe, air is a bit cleaner too.....

Christ !!!!! I'm goin meself!!!!!

Fellow Ex Canadian.

:thumbs:

Canada is awesome had the pleasure of living in Whistler for a year in 06 and 07 :cloud9:

Best year of my life without a doubt, love the west coast.

:clap:

Ditto......Permanent resident from 2008 - 2009 but had to return because of the wife, best year of my life too. But life is full of change and change is good!!! Think if i say it enough i will start to beleive it ??? Vancouver has three ski runs within 30 minutes of the city, was back in Whistler in 2010 which has become very commercial due to the olympics to the point of out of reach but still..............what a country..

:doh:

Canada is awesome had the pleasure of living in Whistler for a year in 06 and 07 :cloud9:

Ditto......Permanent resident from 2008 - 2009 but had to return because of the wife, best year of my life too. But life is full of change and change is good!!! Think if i say it enough i will start to beleive it ??? Vancouver has three ski runs within 30 minutes of the city, was back in Whistler in 2010 which has become very commercial due to the olympics to the point of out of reach but still..............what a country..

:wave:

Do ski's fit in a zed? Or are they going on the roof!?

You Can:

imag0131rr.jpg

imag0132e.jpg

You can just see the skis in there - wouldn't like to have a passenger in there though - severe decapitation risk I would have though!

Your bag makes it look like we have the same employer

Tires: Any recommendations on Winter tires and a good place to source them?

Wheels: I have been thinking about getting a cheap/used set just for Winter tires. Any ideas?

I've just sourced some Kumho Tyres from http://www.mytyres.co.uk/. Don't forget to buy through Quidco though for that extra 3% cashback :thumbs:

For wheels, I purchased a 2nd set of 18" touring alloys from a forum member. I'm getting them refurbed and will put my Bridgestone R0E50's on these and my new winters on my current touring alloys. You could get a set of Jap Import 17" wheels as the tyres are a little cheaper, I think these alloys fit over the Brembos with no problem (but have a forum search to be sure).

:wave:

Mr Doogy has the pleasure of honing his snow board skills now ........Lucky Ex- Zedder. I'd be back like a shot, sadly so would the wife now.... but thats life .....God I miss West Van.

Anyways up.... How Ya Doin Mr Doogy???? Hope It was a good summer in BC, usually is !! :wave: