new 370z gt sat nag

mgtf1

• 1 month later...

I heard the "building detail" function only worked in a very small number of areas - major cities etc. At least that is the case with the US 370Z Connect. I saw a You Tube video where the system showed the Sears Tower in Chicago, but only a couple of the other skyscrapers close by. The reviewer said it made the landscape look "Post Apocalyptic". IMHO, the Connect may not be as detailed as the Birdseye Google Earth type aerial views you get on the current BMW Sat Nav Pro, but it is superior to many other systems, some of which are fitted in cars costing 2 or 3 times the price of the 370Z.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mgtf1. In my car (Connect Premium), 1/32 is usually the biggest scale which I believe is correct. In large cities a 1/64 scale is available, as well as detailed images of important buildings. The building images can actually be seen at all scales greater than "1/2mi". Zooming right in, you can get one building to cover the whole screen, eg Durham Cathedral. Building images are only visible in Birdview mode. The 1/64 scale is available in all map modes, in cities where it is provided. As a test, just get the map to show any large city then zoom right in. To see buildings, you will have to scroll the map to one manually in Birdview mode, (a faff) or presumably drive to it.

IMO the 370Z sat nav is good with a few drawbacks. It tries to be too clever, with a quirky, over complicated display. It does not auto-scale, you are always pressing + and - buttons. Junctions are shown with a diagonal rotation, which is bonkers. Straight up would be better. The voice gives unhelpful tips eg "take the second right turn", and sometimes disagrees with the screen. At low speed eg in housing estates, the screen lags so you overshoot turnings. The POI database is too small to be useful. In my town it lists 3 out of about 17 restaurants. The Michelin Guide is a great idea but again the database is small. Has anyone used it ? As with all built-in satnavs, the maps are out of date.

For £70 you can get a standalone satnav which will list every restaurant (and every other business) in every village, with a better thought-out GUI and free map updates.

Having said all that I think the 370z built in satnav is wonderful. Just having it built in is so convenient. The traffic warnings are really useful and amazing accurate. Above all it just works really well, and saves you so much hassle, stress and petrol