corroding alloys - warranty issue

EDDIEEDMO

Hi to you all.I am a new member and found the site looking for other people with corroding alloys who have / are having trouble getting them sorted under warranty. All my alloys have bubbling on the spokes but Nissan say they will not replace or refurbish because there is some scuffing on the edges.They agree bubbling has occured but won't even give me a copy of the report.

Any experiences help quidance will be much appreciated.

Wonderful car , had one or two problems sorted under warranty but now Nissan are not interested at all.

EDDIEEDMO & Jacko,

I suggest that if you have any issues with your usual Nissan dealer, you get hold of Nissan Holdcroft in Hanley Stoke on Trent. (PM holdcroft2005).

I had a full set recoated on my '04' by these guys without fuss.

True, that Nissan will not repair the Alloy if is has been kerbed, but if you talk to the guys, they will sort something out ;)

I have noticed a couple of bubbles on the '56' but I will wait a whlie to see if it gets worse and appears on other wheel and get them all done at once. I am not particularly worried about this as I know there will be no issues when I report it.

Just a thought...

Neil

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to you all.I am a new member and found the site looking for other people with corroding alloys who have / are having trouble getting them sorted under warranty. All my alloys have bubbling on the spokes but Nissan say they will not replace or refurbish because there is some scuffing on the edges.They agree bubbling has occured but won't even give me a copy of the report.

Any experiences help quidance will be much appreciated.

Wonderful car , had one or two problems sorted under warranty but now Nissan are not interested at all.

EDDIEEDMO & Jacko,

I suggest that if you have any issues with your usual Nissan dealer, you get hold of Nissan Holdcroft in Hanley Stoke on Trent. (PM holdcroft2005).

I had a full set recoated on my '04' by these guys without fuss.

True, that Nissan will not repair the Alloy if is has been kerbed, but if you talk to the guys, they will sort something out ;)

I have noticed a couple of bubbles on the '56' but I will wait a whlie to see if it gets worse and appears on other wheel and get them all done at once. I am not particularly worried about this as I know there will be no issues when I report it.

Just a thought...

Neil

Neil,

I've done a lot of purchases through Holdcroft. PM me please with who you used etc? Just not sure they'd be too keen to take on the hassle considering they're not local to me or not bought car from them, but can but try!

• 3 weeks later...
Good idea Rob I will include in my next letter to them.Thanks

How are you getting on? I'm about to write my next letter after goodwill rejected it because the previous owner missed a service interval by a few miles. :rant::angry::rant::angry:

Or we can arrange to 'visit' them one day? And my Zed may strategically break down right at the entrance of their car park until someone comes down and talks to me...... ;)

Guys,

I don't want to miff you off anymore, but just wanted to say..... don't give up!

I've just got my brand new Rays, full set replaced yesterday. I took them in about 2 weeks ago, the dealer took photos, I explained the situation and that I knew what to expect from Nissan about fob offs etc and that I would be pursueing all the way......

Anyway, the photos were accepted by Nissan from the dealer, then they got the go ahead to order new wheels on the system within a few days. Wheels went in on Monday evening and tyres swapped over to new ones Tuesday and balanced. I got no pain or come back what so ever, was expecting the same about me using acidic products blah, blah...... the bottom line is that the wheels are not fit for purpose for UK roads if they do this.

I know I got a major result and was very lucky as end to end was replaced within 2 weeks (and that included ordering of wheels).

The bottom line (I think) is that it depends how "customer focused" your dealer is. I was told by mine that they don't get any money out of doing this work, they just get base rate to cover their costs on labour etc..... so in some cases, it could be that the dealers are not exactly pushing it through.......

I'd suggest trying another one if you get no joy...... suppose it helps that my car has been serviced there. Might not be so easy otherwise.....

PM me for anymore details etc..... not sure I can help more, but will try.

It is unfortunate, but true, you need to "sell" your concern to the Dealer... because if they present a good case to NMGB and they have the evidence and give NMGB the facts, it is likely the warranty claim can be accepted, specially if Dealer knows you will not give up, or challenge it technically, or you are just a good valued customer of them...

But if the dealer presents a basic picture of the claim, does not have the information at hand, and shows no drive to NMGB to want to address this item, I am sure NMGB will be happy not to pay out...

It should be a straight technical judgement , but it is not... :dry:

Even I get fobbed off (and I work for N!) if that's any consolation... :rant:

( I am currently in discussions to get a few things sorted... but they say there's no problem, but I know they ARE not design intent...)

It is unfortunate, but true, you need to "sell" your concern to the Dealer... because if they present a good case to NMGB and they have the evidence and give NMGB the facts, it is likely the warranty claim can be accepted, specially if Dealer knows you will not give up, or challenge it technically, or you are just a good valued customer of them...

But if the dealer presents a basic picture of the claim, does not have the information at hand, and shows no drive to NMGB to want to address this item, I am sure NMGB will be happy not to pay out...

It should be a straight technical judgement , but it is not... :dry:

Even I get fobbed off (and I work for N!) if that's any consolation... :rant:

( I am currently in discussions to get a few things sorted... but they say there's no problem, but I know they ARE not design intent...)

Do you work at Nissan GB? There must be a way around me having to force the issue and get to someone who sees sense and acknowledges the problem?? :huh::bang:

No I have no association with NMGB, I work in the making of the cars, not the selling and dealing with the world. So I have to take the front end approach also and deal through the main dealer, however I know a bit more of the development background on some bits, (I am in no way an expert on any one part, as they say jack of all trades) so I know I can take on a fight with them and win if there is enough technical evidence to prove it.

your case is a bit difficult, because it is corrosion, and the root cause of you concern can be:

-Poor paint process ( paint not sticking properly to metal, pin holes on paint that allow water to go under and bubble up)

-Poor coating application (sharp radius / corner, no properly coated and allowing water ingress to the layers below the paint)

-but also could be

-Stone chip (not only big stone chips but very tiny particles could cause some damage leading to corrosion initiation.

- The dealer or you could have removed the wheels and scraped the paint surface.

- Some salt/chemical spray could have been applied.

- Some chemical was applied that attacked the paint.

Etc...

There are quite a few root causes, and what you need to do is have conclusive proof that there have been "no external" influences to affect the performance of the paint.

Another thing to consider is that this corrosion is not a structural issue, ( the wheel will not fail due to this , it is purely a cosmetic concern, and the criteria for cosmetic corrosion damage might not be as strict...I am not sure but i can imagine this kind of logic being applied. It is not great for the customer, I know, but it is just cosmetic... Maybe NMGB set a 1year cosmetic corrosion criteria...after this it is a case-by-case...

You concern is a very grey area... how can you prove it was a defect or weakness of the design? and prove it was not an external influence...?

your word against the dealer, in this case dealer always wins,

unless:

-you have the technical "high ground" ( very difficult in corrosion items...)

-the dealer puts a good case to NMGB.

-He takes on the job and does it himself ( of his own "goodwill" budget)

in order to keep your custom. After all 50quid a wheel, 200 quid to keep a customer happy if he thinks you will come back to him for servicing for several years etc... could be worth his while...and potential re-purchase intention...

Negotiation could be key, (without making it obvious you are trying to bribe him with promises of servicing in future)

-You pester him and threaten with magazine letters etc... but this is risky and will damage your future relations with them...

I am not sure about the guys who have had wheels replaced or refurbished, but I bet they would have been done by the dealer, rather than as NMGB warranty claim...

So my only suggestion on this is keep approaching the dealer, or if you have enough confidence that no chipping (even smallest of stones!) , or chemicals have attacked your wheels etc... the argue the case and present the hard facts but in your case I think it will be very difficult to prove.

Sorry I cannot be any more helpfull... :dry:

My wheels are starting to pit/bubble but I cannot prove they are poorly made, and I am going to struggle with a paint defect on my car...

but I have a 6th gear synchro problem I know I can prove it is a defect..

between 30%-60% success for me , so not so good either... :thumbdown:

I think also generally, It does not help that Nissan dealers in UK are franchises, not actually owned by NMGB, (you have Camden, Evans Halshaw etc... and they want to make money for their company, and NMGB don't want to give money away to third parties...)I guess it is a battle of budgets between companies, where the customers end up being affected... :rant: ) which annoys me, as we try and make good cars and then the whole brand image gets tarnished by "rawhide nissan" dealers... and all our efforts seem to be lost due to the front face of Nissan at the dealer forecourts... :angry:

Not long to go before INFINITI comes to Europe, then you will get Lexus dealer service...!

I am not sure about the guys who have had wheels replaced or refurbished, but I bet they would have been done by the dealer, rather than as NMGB warranty claim...

Nope, mine were replaced under NMGB warranty claim, although I do have a good dealer who I use for servicing and a potential future purchase etc may help......

Cheers Zzz. I guess I have two points based on what you've said. Firstly although it isn't structural and the the wheel won't fail, if Nissan sell these as an optional cosmetic extra that they charge a fee for, shouldn't cosmetics come into it?

Secondly, NMGB are underwriting the claims and they know it's an issue. So why replace so many and try and get out of this one???

Not your problem of course, just questions that remain unanswered to me both by dealer and NMGB. All I want is somebody who can put themselves in the customer's position and actually see it for what it is! :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

I took my Zed to the dealer last night and asked if they would have a look at the corrosion on my Rays. They took photos, agreed that they should be replaced under warranty and said they would put a claim in for me. They also asked to see my service history to verify warranty before submitting the claim. I'm taking this in later today, but it does look promising. The service huy told me that a new set of Rays would set me back about £2600 if I was to order some, so its worth trying to claim on warranty...

Will let you know how I get on!

I took my Zed to the dealer last night and asked if they would have a look at the corrosion on my Rays. They took photos, agreed that they should be replaced under warranty and said they would put a claim in for me. They also asked to see my service history to verify warranty before submitting the claim. I'm taking this in later today, but it does look promising. The service huy told me that a new set of Rays would set me back about £2600 if I was to order some, so its worth trying to claim on warranty...

Yep, Nissan ask to see full service history to "prove" the car has been looked after. If you ain't got one, then your request is probably thrown out! (even though its probably got nothing to do with your wheels!)

Yep, Nissan ask to see full service history to "prove" the car has been looked after. If you ain't got one, then your request is probably thrown out! (even though its probably got nothing to do with your wheels!)

That's what I'm afraid of! The previous owner had his first (9000mile) service done at 10600 miles. I could have doctored the paperwork, but chose to be honest! I'm waiting to hear from them over the next couple of days... Can 1600 miles really make a difference?

That's what I'm afraid of! The previous owner had his first (9000mile) service done at 10600 miles. I could have doctored the paperwork, but chose to be honest! I'm waiting to hear from them over the next couple of days... Can 1600 miles really make a difference?

If they try to say that the extra 1600 miles is the reason to turn you down then thats bollocks. You wheels would be in exactly the same state ->Not fit for purpose :dry:

If they try to say that the extra 1600 miles is the reason to turn you down then thats bollocks. You wheels would be in exactly the same state ->Not fit for purpose :dry:

Exactly, and thats the way you would have to play it......

Basically by firm but polite and put your point across in a constructive manner and then hope you get someone receptive! :dry:

Exactly, and thats the way you would have to play it......

Basically by firm but polite and put your point across in a constructive manner and then hope you get someone receptive! :dry:

They made the same point to me, until I got to the MD who acknowledged it shouldn't be applied in those cases. :dry::)

• 1 month later...

Had a call from the garage on Friday, Nissan have approved my warranty claim and 4 new Rays will be sent in 7 to 14 days time! Excellent! I can hardly believe how good the dealer has been with this, they needed very little persuading and didn't really argue with me at all! Looking forward to getting the new wheels on as I have a few kerb marks on my existing ones too.

Had a call from the garage on Friday, Nissan have approved my warranty claim and 4 new Rays will be sent in 7 to 14 days time! Excellent! I can hardly believe how good the dealer has been with this, they needed very little persuading and didn't really argue with me at all! Looking forward to getting the new wheels on as I have a few kerb marks on my existing ones too.

brilliant news are you using your local dealer. I work in beijingsmoke and will need to get a dealer relationship going soon

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

brilliant news are you using your local dealer. I work in beijingsmoke and will need to get a dealer relationship going soon

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Yep, its the local braisingsteak dealer. I still won't believe it until the new Rays have actually been fitted though... I wonder what they'll do with my old ones???

Good to know they are good for something!

Were you there a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday? I think I may have seen your car outside. I was trying to get hold of Terry (Dealership Principal) and foolishly thought he'd work on a weekend! Going to see him tonight about my compensation for crappy customer service. He's offered a service (36k is next) but I'm going to haggle for a couple ;)