Quitting Smoking Detail

HaydnH

I quit smoking on Aug 13th using Champix having been on the tablets since Aug 1st. While I haven't had many side effects so far, during the last 2 days at work I've been staring at my screen reading the same sentence over and over and basically feeling like I was on Acid or something! Maybe it was just lack of sleep due to the pills as that's been a problem recently. I felt so rough this morning I phoned in sick and went back to bed.

Anyway, after waking at lunch time I've decided to quit the pills (but still not smoke) and to make sure I sleep tonight I've:

- Snow foamed

- Cleaned alloys

- Rinsed

- Washed

- Dried

- Clayed

- Black hole glazed (it didn't need a polish)

- Supernatural Waxed

- Tyres gelled

Sadly I only started at 3pm after waking up and getting lunch so it got dark before I could add a second coat of Supernatural, hopefully one will be enough and the second blind buffing removed any holograms. Also no photos as it's pitch black out there.

Now I'm off for a shower, dinner and a quick bed time pint or 2. I'll probably sleep like a baby tonight but not be able to move in the morning. :lol: I can also guarantee there will be cat prints on my car tomorrow morning. :rant:

one coats all you need.

2nd coat is just a waste. wax goes on and feels all the dimples in the paint. buffing just removes the excess that doesn;t go into the dimples. this is what makes it bead. putting a 2nd coat on just gets rubbed off with out any impact.

it doesnt build up in layers like people think it does.

one coats all you need.

2nd coat is just a waste. wax goes on and feels all the dimples in the paint. buffing just removes the excess that doesn;t go into the dimples. this is what makes it bead. putting a 2nd coat on just gets rubbed off with out any impact.

it doesnt build up in layers like people think it does.

I agree, I guess it depends what's quicker for you, a) making sure you don't miss anywhere or B) doing it twice to fill the bits you miss.

Haydn, what's going on, how come Tim's not doing your car?

To be fair it's good to hear you getting your hands dirty for once :lol:

Congrats on the smoking, but if you re-start which I hope you don't, then read Alan Carr the "Easy way". My book is being returned to me in October so I shall get my chance to give up for the 3rd and final time. First time was 9 months, second was 2.5 years and hopefully this time for ever!! The book was the only thing that made me give up on both occasions.

Onto the detailing.

The Supernatural wax should be applied then a 2nd coat 24hrs later. I've tested this product vigerously over the last 2 years and know it's performance very well. From mixing it with other coatings, to how many coats are required and it's longevity.

I'll give you an example. The last application I applied was Wales in May, and after washing the car this evening, the car now requires a top up of wax. So that's lasted nearly 4 months. Why has it lasted 4 months, because I apply 2 coats. Ignore Rich he's talking rubbish :p

If you apply one coat of SN you'll get 1-2 months protection, but add that second coat and it REALLY will form a stronger bond. Rich is talking about soft wax, and as such yes it fills the pits as he so calls it. The hard waxes work differently, a very thin layer and a further second layer 24 hours later seriously protects your car.

Try not to mix your wax with other wax products, as it will deteriorate the performance of the SN, either in a shine or protection manner.

I've started using Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Edition wax, it won't last as long as the SN, but is just as easy if not easier to apply than SN. Durability I'm yet to confirm, as I've only used it on client cars so far. Now that my wax has diminished I'll be applying the Chemical Guys for a winter long durability test.

Had a bash this evening with Wolfs De-ironizer, and I have to say what a flippin product!!!!! This stuff is truly sensational. I hope to be stocking their products for next year along with a wealth of other major players.

P.S. You made me laugh when you said you'd read the same sentence time and time again.... reminds me of my first day back to work after a weekend clubbing. Oh they were sorry Mondays!

Ignore Rich he's talking rubbish :p

If you apply one coat of SN you'll get 1-2 months protection, but add that second coat and it REALLY will form a stronger bond. Rich is talking about soft wax, and as such yes it fills the pits as he so calls it. The hard waxes work differently, a very thin layer and a further second layer 24 hours later seriously protects your car.

not me but the guys at megauirs said it. went to one of their detailing days.

am intrgued though, only difference between soft and hard waxes is how they are stored as far as i'm aware. wax is wax? is it not? yes there are variations in ingredients, but is it not to do with the delivery of the wax dictates the consistency? i.e. those who want to put it on by hand and those who prefer a machine application?

i'm no detailer, so interested to learn more. as far as i was aware you can;t layer wax, you can just go back over and make sure you did the job properly a 2nd time round i suppose. (completely top up the pores in the paint.)

as paint is just like skin, it has pores, it breaths, dirt gets trapped in the pores etc hence the need for clay bars etc

Ignore Rich he's talking rubbish :p

not me but the guys at megauirs said it. went to one of their detailing days.

am intrgued though, only difference between soft and hard waxes is how they are stored as far as i'm aware. wax is wax? is it not? yes there are variations in ingredients, but is it not to do with the delivery of the wax dictates the consistency? i.e. those who want to put it on by hand and those who prefer a machine application?

i'm no detailer, so interested to learn more. as far as i was aware you can;t layer wax, you can just go back over and make sure you did the job properly a 2nd time round i suppose. (completely top up the pores in the paint.)

as paint is just like skin, it has pores, it breaths, dirt gets trapped in the pores etc hence the need for clay bars etc

I believe I was there at Meguiars that same day. :p

The wax they exampled was the NXT2 - and agreed you don't want to apply that naff stuff twice, let alone once! :thumbdown:

The bottle wax is what I'm referring to as a soft wax, that stuff is great for a quick slap and tickle with a machine, or by hand. It's messy, doesn't last long at all and frankly a waste of money. The hard wax, as I call it, specifically the SN really does need a second coat. BUT, you must wait for the first coat to harden and set. The second coating is an added barrier.

The paste wax, such as the Chemical Guys 50/50 works in exactly the same way. I would presume the paste wax may not last as long as the SN, but my testing over the winter months will ascertain this.

good to know.

currently use purple haze pro and blue velvet pro. and going round once is enough for me, too lazy to want to go round twice lol. looking for something to apply by machine, was wondering if PB nattys blue paste might do the job.

Lazy sod, it takes 45mins to apply and remove wax from a Zed, okay the Jaaaag might take a tiny bit longer, but still 45mins.

There's so many products on the market these days to choose from it's a minefield.

nearly bought megs new ultimate liquid wax. the shiney bottle had me hooked :blush: put it back down and walked away with just the car shampoo :blush:

any reccomendations for a machine applyable wax?

I moved off machine applied just because it's not very long lasting. But when I did, it was the NXT2.

I've got two full bottles if you want to make use of it.

Slip me some free sticker tokens and I'll pop it on the post to you :thumbs:

nearly bought megs new ultimate liquid wax. the shiney bottle had me hooked :blush: put it back down and walked away with just the car shampoo :blush:

any reccomendations for a machine applyable wax?

I moved off machine applied just because it's not very long lasting. But when I did, it was the NXT2.

I've got two full bottles if you want to make use of it.

Slip me some free sticker tokens and I'll pop it on the post to you :thumbs:

i've still got some nxt squirt wax, still i think and some of megs 3 step stuff as well. not tried it on the jag so might dig it out forst and give it a try.

might stick with my dodo for now

Haydn, what's going on, how come Tim's not doing your car?

I'm sure Tim will still be doing my car from time to time, I need someone to remove the scratches I put in! The main reason is to give me something to do instead of smoking to be honest, but also as a bit of a hobby. Thanks for the advice. :thumbs:

I decided against the pills when I read about having suicidal and phycotic thoughts as a side effect.

:wacko:

Me 2, I have a shotgun now so need to be mentally stable :scare:

I`ve been off the smokes since March (with the odd exception being at the zed shed & another time after too much to drink)

I`ve been using V2cigs.co.uk. Although a replacement they are very affective & I`m slowly decreasing the strength each month. Couldn`t bare the thought of going T total straight away

Rich mine is in the flip top bottle and better than that crap squirty method.

Happy to send :D

Well done Darren, but to be fair with Bob and Chris in toe you were clearly influenced. Keep going :thumbs:

PS that mini part was the nutZ, and that Romian stuff sure made Steve a bit pie eyed.

Can't wait for 2013 :clap:

On the stopping smoking side, I'd recommend trying an electric cigarette; I use the Green Smoke band. While I would never use it in public (oh the shame), I do use it at home, in the car and the office. It basically comprises of 2 parts, a rechargeable battery (I'd recommend getting 2 or 3) @ £20 and a changeable nicotine cartridge @ £1.65 (if bought in bulk). They claim 1 of these cartridges is the equivalent of 30 normal cigarettes, but I'd estimate it around 15-20. Effectively when you suck on the end of the battery it heats an element this turns the liquid nicotine into an odourless vapour that you inhale like a normal cigarette. It certainly feels like normal smoking and I actually prefer the sensation of smoking these compared to normal cigarettes. While this isn't technically "quitting" smoking it's a big step. Nicotine is a stimulant that is similar to caffeine in it's health risks, i.e it gives you a boost, and you shouldn't overdo its consumption. This contains none of the other chemicals contained in a normal cigarette (the ones that can give you cancer). Here is a link to an praise e-mail I sent them after a week of using it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iKp ... SebHU/edit