Ideas for Winter

marzman

Winter Wheels  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Winter Wheels

• Keep the Volks on - they'll be fine!
    • Put the stock 18's on and stop moaning
    • Respray the stock 18's and get some spacers (if so what colour?)
    • Buy a 2nd hand set of rims for the winter (Rays or aftermarket)

So...

For the last few months i've been looking round at getting another second car to use for business trips etc, but i've just worked out how many business miles i've done in the last 2 years, and im only doing 3k a year :blush: My current second car is going to become my fiance's as soon as she passes her test so i cant rely on it much longer.

However for 3k miles, sod it, i'll drive the zed if i need to as the expense of having a second car is huge compared to the minimal wear and tear 3k miles will result in.

However it does leave me with one dilemma - what should i do for winter?? Im running Volks currently and the finish on them is perfect (in the fact that they have not been affected by any weather at all). I'll be honest in that i dont clean them as often as i should, but i wax them after every wash so they can be literally just given a once over with a sponge and they're mint again. Do you think the salt/frost will really damage their finish?

Last year i bought a set of stock 18" wheels which i resprayed and had them on the zed over winter... but i did about 50 miles with them on before deciding the car looked SHITE and declared it SORN for 3 months as i was too embarrassed to drive it :blush:

So... what should i do this year?

As she stands now:

SESSION-B-048.jpg

100_0543-3.jpg

As she'll look with the winters on...:

wheels4.jpg

wheels1.jpg

How she looked briefly, whilst deciding what colour to go for on the refurb. :blush:

IMG_1067.jpg

First vote! And its put the stock 18s on and stop moaning. If you're driving it through winter on motorways its gonna be caked in roadgrim and salt anyways - so very quickly it'll turn a nice shade of browny grey, no matter what wheels you have on. Use the money you would have spent on a third set of rims and get some decent winter tyres, so that when the time comes to put the Volks back on again, you still have a car to put them on to :thumbs:

Marzman said...

car looked SHITE and declared it SORN for 3 months as i was too embarrassed to drive it

Hope this wasn't prompted by my "spotted" note :blush: Just so used to seeing you with the Volks! ;)

Lol, you're to blame Leon!

Meant to msg you actually, i take it that was you in Tesco's last month? :)

Run gts for hmm at least a few winters now.

Even really keeping on top of them, they will corrode at the point where the dish meets the spokes.

That and its a fecker caring for them in the summer, let alone with all the crap in the winter.

If you can, run the 18s.

Ok thanks - that rules the Volks out then. :thumbs:

Run gts for hmm at least a few winters now.

Even really keeping on top of them, they will corrode at the point where the dish meets the spokes.

That and its a fecker caring for them in the summer, let alone with all the crap in the winter.

If you can, run the 18s.

Ok thanks - that rules the Volks out then. :thumbs:

That was with rinsing them down after each trip, washing at least every week and keeping wax topped up :lol: Problem is i'd need a whole set of tyres on the 18s and i'm a sucker for the looks of the volks :blush:

Marzman said...

car looked SHITE and declared it SORN for 3 months as i was too embarrassed to drive it

Hope this wasn't prompted by my "spotted" note :blush: Just so used to seeing you with the Volks! ;)

Lol, you're to blame Leon!

Meant to msg you actually, i take it that was you in Tesco's last month? :)

That was me! :lol::p