Should I get my road tax now ??

MadGrip

seeiing as its very likely we'll be stung, should I renew my tax now?

My current tax runs out at the end of april, but if I renew it now it'll cost me £190 but will be valid from now until march 2008

Am I reading too much into what tony b liars croneys are thinking of next ,or is it wirth doing ?

cheers

Phil

My current tax runs out at the end of april, but if I renew it now it'll cost me £190 but will be valid from now until march 2008

Am I reading too much into what tony b liars croneys are thinking of next ,or is it wirth doing ?

cheers

Phil

hmm depends how much are they saying it will go up by and when?

cheers

Phil

hmm depends how much are they saying it will go up by and when?

This is a good question.

My RFL runs out at the end of March. Last year I had the renewal ready to renew on-line but left it till the day of the budget and of course when they announced the increase, it applies immediately, so by leaving it one day I got caught out. Will learn from this and will renew tomorrow morning.

Bit different for you, madgrip, as you will be renewing one month earlier so it depends how much it goes up, as to whether you will be better off.

On the other hand, having a March renewal is better for the future if they are going to put the tax up every year. Looking increasingly likely! :thumbdown:

The new tax band "G" only affected cars registered "after" the budget, therefor was not retrospective.

Rumours are that this one may be - and indeed may go back to April 06 vehicles.

If it does, then many 06 Z's will be caught up in it.

Actually, that could be bad and good news for residuals - those with 06 models and beyond will suffer, while those with 05 models will be able to advetise their cars as NOT falling under the new tax levels.

Until tomorrow we cant tell though.

Ill check when ours runs out...

My tax runs out at end of month so renewed today.

Got caught out last year when it went up £20. Tried to renew on day of budget but couldn't as my insurance ran out at end of month too.

This year I renewed insurance last week so I got the documents through at the weekend.

From the news this morning:

"Chancellor Gordon Brown had the environment very much in mind in his Budget speech when he confirmed that road tax for the most polluting cars will increase to £400 next year.

But he deferred this year's annual fuel duty increase by six months to October.

He also rejected Tory calls to put VAT on airline tickets, which would have meant a 17.5% rise in prices.

He told MPs: "I have investigated the detail of this proposal.

"It gives me no pleasure to tell the House that the substance of this measure has not been properly thought through.

"It would apply only to domestic flights, business would be able to claim back VAT, and even by 2020 it would save just 50,000 tonnes of carbon - less savings in one year than achieved by the climate change levy in just one week.

"So I have rejected this proposal in favour of the six million tonnes of carbon saving achieved by the fairer and more environmentally efficient measures I have outlined in the Budget today."

For drinkers, he announced that from midnight on Sunday, beer will rise by 1p a pint, cider by 1p a litre, wine by 5p a bottle and sparkling wine by 7p. But, for the tenth Budget in a row, he froze duty on spirits.

For smokers, he said: "While I will go ahead from 6pm tonight with the annual inflation rise on a packet of 20 cigarettes, of 11p, I want us to do more to support the health advice campaign, initiated by the Health Secretary, with a new incentive to encourage people wishing to give up smoking.

"For one year from July 1st for nicotine replacement and other products that help smokers to quit, I am cutting VAT to the lowest I can, from 17.5 per cent to 5 per cent."

I have some problems with this:

1. I car share to work, therefore I am "going green" and doing my bit. Yet I get whacked with a big tax increase just because I own a car like a Z. Where is my incentive for car sharing from this government?

2. My car may well emit a certain level of CO2 but I only do around 7,500 km per year because of the car sharing. Others out there do 30,000km a year and therefore pollute more than I do, so how is this fair?

Examples

350z Band G 273 g/km over 7,500km = 2,047,500 grams of CO2

Mondeo 1.8 Band E 182 g/km over 30,000km = 5,460,000 grams of CO2

3. The UK accounts for a whopping 2% of the GLOBAL pollution, so all these "green" taxes are just excuses for more revenue. Prove to me that my extra green taxes go towards green projects and I will believe you have good intentions.

Bloody Labour government! (my personal opinion, not necessarily one of this site or anyone involved with it)