How to - Change Z badges (and others)

jep350z

Learning from the advice in this thread, I completed the de-Nissan-ing of my Z this morning.

I used a hairdryer to heat up the original badge for a few minutes to soften the glue...

Badge%20001.JPG

...and then used a piece of fishing line behind the badge to start sawing through the glue. I started at one of the corner bits of the Nissan bar and only brought the line in an inch or so, before I could then just lift and remove the badge with my fingers.

Badge%20002.JPG

Cleaning up most of the remaining glue left it looking like this:

Badge%20003.JPG

The replacement badges I'd chosen were from the same eBay seller in Taiwan I'd bought my LED sidelights from. These use the same design as the side badges, which I really like:

Badge%20004.JPG

They have 3M tape on the reverse covering the entire badge:

Badge%20005.JPG

And fitted look like this close-up...

Badge%20006.JPG

...and like this from further away:

Badge%20007.JPG

I also planned to replace the rear badge, and marked it up with masking tape so I could get the replacement in exactly the same place.

Badge%20008.JPG

However, the replacement rear badge didn't have the right curvature to fit properly, but fortunately the old badge came off and cleaned up so well (with a bit of white spirit and a couple of coats of Mer) that I decided I preferred the clean look anyway.

Badge%20009.JPG

Undecided as to whether to remove the 350Z badge as well - what do you think?

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...