Not 4, but 2 wheels...

mrobinson2

I passed my test years back but new bikes are so much easier than old ones.

Try and go for a new fuel injected model ( Honda cbr 125/ Yamaha ybr 125) really easy to use and no messing about with chokes and carbs.

Cut your teeth on something like that, they have enough to get you out of trouble but are forgiving too if you stall or are on a wet road.

Old bikes are great but things have moved on, not only will they will expensive to insure but they haven't got the light weight of a newer bike or the new technology.

Once you can progress up to a 33bhp go for something like a Kawasaki 250 Ninja, fab bikes, look the dogs bits and are very learner friendly. Resale value is great too if you want to move on after a full test.

I got back into biking a few years ago and have one, great fun but not dangerously fast :D

I passed my test years back but new bikes are so much easier than old ones.

Try and go for a new fuel injected model ( Honda cbr 125/ Yamaha ybr 125) really easy to use and no messing about with chokes and carbs.

Cut your teeth on something like that, they have enough to get you out of trouble but are forgiving too if you stall or are on a wet road.

Old bikes are great but things have moved on, not only will they will expensive to insure but they haven't got the light weight of a newer bike or the new technology.

Once you can progress up to a 33bhp go for something like a Kawasaki 250 Ninja, fab bikes, look the dogs bits and are very learner friendly. Resale value is great too if you want to move on after a full test.

I got back into biking a few years ago and have one, great fun but not dangerously fast :D

Cheers mate, Never really thought of the 250's! I'll have a browse of the classifieds and see what might take my fancy.

Some really nice 250's out there now and very new biker friendly.

Would highly recommend the CBR 250 (Honda) only launched last year and the Kawasaki 250 Ninja, all 33bhp legal but nicely set up with good looks and easy to ride.

These are the top sellers at the moment, you could always try the Honda Cbf 250 (bit more touring style and have been out for about 8 years).

Think you will be pleasantly surprised, have a bit more go than a 125 but not stupidly over the top. Good to cut your teeth on, Good luck :teeth:

I say go for a Cagiva Mito 125 or Aprilia RS125. Yes, they are 2 stroke, so need to be warmed up correctly and you have to buy oil every now and again, but they are 12hp learner legal and when you pass your test you can get them de-restricted/buy a new exhaust and they'll be pretty much full power at 33hp. Boy oh boy do they shift. Acceleration faster than the Zed and a top speed of about 110mph, plus they look better than newer 125s with they're silly skinny tires.

I say go for a Cagiva Mito 125 or Aprilia RS125. Yes, they are 2 stroke, so need to be warmed up correctly and you have to buy oil every now and again, but they are 12hp learner legal and when you pass your test you can get them de-restricted/buy a new exhaust and they'll be pretty much full power at 33hp. Boy oh boy do they shift.

When they work.....

I say go for a Cagiva Mito 125 or Aprilia RS125. Yes, they are 2 stroke, so need to be warmed up correctly and you have to buy oil every now and again, but they are 12hp learner legal and when you pass your test you can get them de-restricted/buy a new exhaust and they'll be pretty much full power at 33hp. Boy oh boy do they shift.

When they work.....

True, but most are owned by young guys who just start them up, hop on and rag the ass off them, so no warming up. If treated correctly, there aren't that many issues.

Just my 2 cents and I doubt everyone would agree but I just went straight ahead did my DAS last year, completed it all in just under a month just before Christmas. Was a great experience. I honestly didn't bother with the 125s etc, just went out and bought an R6, very comfortable bike and a joy to ride. Just remember a bike will only do what want it to do, regardless of size.

Just my 2 cents and I doubt everyone would agree but I just went straight ahead did my DAS last year, completed it all in just under a month just before Christmas. Was a great experience. I honestly didn't bother with the 125s etc, just went out and bought an R6, very comfortable bike and a joy to ride. Just remember a bike will only do what want it to do, regardless of size.

Totally agree with this, I bought a 1200 bandit, at first I was worried but soon you realise that it will only go as fast as you open it up.

Also agree on the note on the track days, these are great fun and they have improved my riding abilities no end, in a much safer envirnoment than the road. I much prefer being on track, faster pace but as previous post said much less to worry about. Also often instructors will take you round the track and give you feedback on your riding.

Good luck!!

I say go for a Cagiva Mito 125 or Aprilia RS125. Yes, they are 2 stroke, so need to be warmed up correctly and you have to buy oil every now and again, but they are 12hp learner legal and when you pass your test you can get them de-restricted/buy a new exhaust and they'll be pretty much full power at 33hp. Boy oh boy do they shift. Acceleration faster than the Zed and a top speed of about 110mph, plus they look better than newer 125s with they're silly skinny tires.

+1

One of my mates has the first shape RS125 and damn is it fast, had a little play with him once and couldn't get past him til 3rd gear! :scare:

Didn't expect a little 125 to be so fast :headhurt:

It depends what type of roads you will use the bike on i.e. in the city any 125 may have enough poke to get you into or out of trouble, but on a NSL or when joining dual carriageways etc a lot of the small engined bikes don't have enough power to merge in complete safety let alone get you out of trouble (i'm excluding the deristricted two strokes from this statement).

I've had about ten bikes from 125 to 1200cc's, I personally think 40 bhp is about right for the first couple of thousand miles whilst you learn how to control the bike and start to think about defensive riding, road positioning and planning overtakes etc, once you get a good feel for this I think you really need 60 bhp plus to be able to enjoy riding around the speed limits with adequate power in reserve.

My honest view is the bigger the better, having said that I do feel that a 600/750/1000 sports bike for somebody coming through their DAS would not be for everyone. I would look at something like a restricted SV650 or ER6f and run it through winter to gain some experience, once you are comfortable on the bike come spring you can remove the restricters and it should keep you ammused through your first summer.

I know you mentioned insurance but I was able to insure all of my bikes several years before I could afford to insure a zed.