Lotus Elise S1... any experiences?

rabbitstew

Just done a quick search and cant see any threads about the Elise, but I do know a few members on here have driven them or had them previously.

Basically now ive sold my 350z 313 Roadster and bought a few months old 123d M-Sport Coupe for my daily commute I figure I can get away with selling our old Peugeot 307 HDI "shed" which ive been using for commuting and replace it with a fun car - something a lot cheaper than my 350z was tho.

I've always fancied an Elise S1, but after test driving one back in 2000 (it was a 98 model i think) I was sadly disappointed with its performance. It might have been that at the time I was driving a Renault 5 GT Turbo which after some serious tuning was pushing out twice the power to weight ratio than the Elise was. I was also very much using my sports motorbikes at the time too, so going from driving / riding pretty quick things the Elise felt slow to me at the time. I remember putting my foot down and nothing much happening and the brakes were practically non existent (no servo on them from what i can remember).

However, after reading many reviews I think the main reason why I wasnt impressed with the Elise was that the test drive just wasn't long enough for me learn how to drive the car properly. All the reviews ive read rave about the cars handling and the feedback through the brakes and steering. And looking at the performance figures, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is hardly slow, and certainly on a par with what my 350z was probably capable of doing.

So, now that the prices of Elises have dropped and are more affordable for a fun 2nd (or 3rd) car, ive started to look into them again. I've heard about the normal Lotus reliability / build quality problems. Such as window mechanisms failing, roofs leaking, head gaskets going cos the coolant system doesnt age well on the older cars, the alloy chasis corroding on some cars etc...

But has anyone on here had one or lived with one for a while? Be nice to get some real users experiences & opinions on them.

From the looks of it, the 111s model is the one to go for, although it may well be out of my budget. I also know they put different engines in the Elise, but was that just when they swapped from S1 to S2? For my money i guess id be looking at one of the early ones - maybe 97/98.

I did briefly consider a VX220 which I know some people on here have also had, but am swaying more towards an Elise atm. And before anyone mentions an Exige... they are just way out of the price range for what im looking for - no matter now much id love one! :)

:lol: Also spent some of my week looking at these (and the VX220).

I would hazard a guess that its a far less 'usable' car than the Zed but as a weekend toy would be awesome :snack:

Can't argue with 35-40 MPG!

Thats what im thinking. Something we can use at the weekends and maybe use in the week for work if the weather is nice. It looks like the VX220 is a bit cheaper to buy, and also cheaper to insure (albiet only 50quid). But im not sure on the looks. Id probably have a bit of a fiddle with them anyway engine wise, so am now looking to see what sort of cheap tuning options there are as it looks like the VX220 is more tunable maybe.... hmm....

There is the turbo version of the VX220 which looks a bit mental. Overall though I would say the Lotus is bound to be a better drive than the Vauxhall I would suspect? Given the heritage of each brand? I think Darren-B and Ekona have owned either of the VX220 and Elise?

There is the turbo version of the VX220 which looks a bit mental. Overall though I would say the Lotus is bound to be a better drive than the Vauxhall I would suspect? Given the heritage of each brand? I think Darren-B and Ekona have owned either of the VX220 and Elise?

Yep but the VX220 turbo is around £11k compared to the non turbo`s which can be had for £6k upwards. The VX220 from what i gather is pretty much based on the S2 Elise.

Just discovered you can get a Honda K20 engine conversion kit for the Elise which gives you 0-60 in 3.9 out of the box..... oh dear... what i have started now! :scare:

Am disappearing for 3 or 4 days shortly but very briefly:

- Had '98 standard Elise S1 with, initially, totally standard engine and suspension

Good:

- Presence - its a very pretty car

- I changed the S1 seats to the later seats (straight in and out) - they were remarkably comfortable

- There are some really good after market roof options now - they address some of the issues of the original roof

- Best steering of any car I have ever driven

- Beautiful balance between ride and handling on original suspension set up (there is an upgrade to and S2 kit - LSS) which also lowers the ride height - I did that but regretted it - the S2 is heavier so I think the kit is too stiff but that is just me

- Need to slightly cautious about lift off oversteer in the wrong conditions

- totally reliable for 2 years of ownership

- I have met people with S1s on massive mileages

- there are solutions for head issues - see DVA power for upgrades etc - many don't have issues if they are warmed up properly and have the prescribed coolant changes

- Probably won't depreciate that much now

Not so good:

- in standard form the car doesn't sound great - induction kits and sports exhausts can help

- not easy to get in and out of with the roof on

- some elements of build quality are a bit questionable (the bonnet catch is a good example where you think surely they could have done better but other stuff is better than you think)

- there are some generic issues to which there are now very good after market solutions - eg gearchange quality, pedal sticking issues, heater controls getting stuck, windows sticking, etc. There is a solution to almost everything.

There is probably a whole lot more but short on time now.

Hope this helps. Very glad I had one for the experience. Wanted more comfort without being boring hence 350Z

Good luck.

Never tried a 220 but definitely worth considering.

These guys used to be really good re servicing, upgrades etc assuming that they are still going.http://backontrackmotorsport.co.uk/index.php

Also worth looking at SELOC http://www.seloc.org/

Parts http://www.eliseparts.com/?kohana_uri=shop/index.php

and

http://www.hangar111.com/

good 220 dealer when they have them

http://www.adrianblyth.co.uk/

An S1 with 1.8 is a slow car. 120-odd bhp is not going to feel quick, and you'll be outdragged by any diesel repmobile on the motorways. They leak, they're freezing in the winter, they're stifling in the summer, HGF is common, rads going pop is common, feeling every single bump on the road is common. You'll lose hundred of pounds in change under the seats, you'll crack your neck every time you get in, and you'll only ever get in alone because no woman ever wants to flash her bits off to the world in the way the entry position forces you to.

The roof takes an age to remove, a fortnight to put back on, and you'll forever be chasing leaks up and down. You'll cry if anyone nudges the car and cracks the clam, and you'll cry again when you get the bill to replace one. You'll laugh when you realise how back to front the wiring can be, and then you'll go back to crying when you get a coolant pipe leak under the sill.

And yet, they are simply one of the best cars you can ever own if you even remotely enjoy driving. I'd have another in a second.

I looked at these before buying my TVR. Biggest problem for me being wrong side of 40 and on the chubby side was the comedy gold getting in and out. The TVR was also a far nicer place to sit in and belive it or not far better built and the noise :cloud9:

One comment I have heard about re the vx is the abs can be a nightmare so that's worth looking into

An S1 with 1.8 is a slow car. 120-odd bhp is not going to feel quick, and you'll be outdragged by any diesel repmobile on the motorways. They leak, they're freezing in the winter, they're stifling in the summer, HGF is common, rads going pop is common, feeling every single bump on the road is common. You'll lose hundred of pounds in change under the seats, you'll crack your neck every time you get in, and you'll only ever get in alone because no woman ever wants to flash her bits off to the world in the way the entry position forces you to.

The roof takes an age to remove, a fortnight to put back on, and you'll forever be chasing leaks up and down. You'll cry if anyone nudges the car and cracks the clam, and you'll cry again when you get the bill to replace one. You'll laugh when you realise how back to front the wiring can be, and then you'll go back to crying when you get a coolant pipe leak under the sill.

And yet, they are simply one of the best cars you can ever own if you even remotely enjoy driving. I'd have another in a second.

Despite the opening lines I knew where this was going! Not a motorway car with luxuries by any means but a mental bit of fun me thinks.

Brilliant review there! :)

Ive looked into it all a bit more over the last week and everytime I read more I seem to sway more towards the vx220, then I read some more and sway back to the Elise. With a paltry 118bhp and 0-60 in high 5 seconds theres no way im going to keep whatever I buy out of the two standard. With my "sensible" daily diesel having 204bhp, 300lb torque and 0-60 in 6.5 seconds I need a weekend toy to really be quicker. (sure i get the Elise "experience" and its not all about 0-60 etc... else)

Those DVApower guys seem to be offering some good increases for sensible money, i may have to check them out a bit more....

It is also a bit daunting though knowing that if the clam gets damaged in an accident then the costs of replacing means the cars a borderline write off. Esp on the vx220 when the clams are like hens teeth.

I have an s1 Elise 111s and have done for 4 years see:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36460

It's the toy for weekend and spends much of its time tucked up in a garage and brought out for a play when the weather is dry.

My opinion, if you want one, buy it as a 2nd car as a toy and use at the weekends and have a shed as a daily driver.

Best car I've owned by a mile. It's a drivers car, nothing fancy, don't buy for looks, reliability, etc you buy it because it epic fun to drive. No abs, no power steering, no ac, no servo etc, just raw driving fun. Very capable on track, the fun happens in the twistes, power isn't really an issue. The 120bhp car in capable hands is as fast round knockhill as a supercharged exige with twice the power. As I say it's a car to learn how to drive and very rewarding as you progress, its a true learning experience of how to utilise the small engine to its full potential and exploit the strong point of the car I.e. you won't have much fun in a straight line if that's what your looking for.

Let me know what your looking to find out and I'll fill you in.