Key warning light on

bakseedaa

Hi got in the car this morning and while driving i noticed the key warning light on. So far everything is still working ok the car still starts but the light remains on, it comes on as soon as i open the door even when i have the spare key on me. Is this a sign of the steering lock failure? I have never changed the batteries in the key fobs (dont know how to) but like i say it is happening with both keys. Has anybody got any ideas? Mine is a 2010 model which i know have issues with steering lock failure thanks

Im guessing it has keyless entry?

I had a similar problem with keyless entry on my Micra when I had it

It could be the car struggling to detect the keys, sometimes if both keys are there it can confuse it, try placing the key in the centre console as it tends to find them best there. If they are in the same pocket as a mobile phone it doesn't help either must be interference

Yes its keyless entry ive not acctually had both keys in the car at once. Ive just tried it with the fob in the fobgina as ive heard it called and the lights gone out, does yhis mean its the battery? If so does anyone know how you get to the battery in the fob?

As Atkin666 suggests, I am sure you will find it is the system has 'lost' temporary contact with the key and it might possibly be a conflict with other electronics. I've had it happen on occasions and you will invariably find either by moving the key when in the car or when you get out its working perfectly OK.

Same thing happens on the odd occasion with the bluetooth connection - just one of those oddities you get with wireless connections - the times I've sworn when the TV remote won't operate at the crucial moment :blush::lol:

No doubt the battery in the fob(s) will need replacing at some point - something I plan to ask to be checked/done at the 3year service coming up in October.

• 4 months later...

Have noticed this if my keys are in my coat pocket. Hope it's not the steering wheel lock!

For the sake of a £1 I would just put in a new battery in the fob as that is exactly how mine started.... then after a month or so it would ask the key to be put in the holder thingy under the dash from time to time..then it became the norm. New battery and alls good and back to normal

Component Inspection INFOID:0000000001683135

REPLACE INTELLIGENT KEY BATTERY

1. Release the lock knob at the back of the Intelligent Key and remove the mechanical key.

2. Insert a flat-blade screwdriver (A) wrapped with a cloth into the slit of the corner and

twist it to separate the upper part from the lower part.

CAUTION:

• Do not touch the circuit board or battery terminal.

• The key fob is water-resistant. However, if it does get wet, immediately wipe it dry.

3. Replace the battery with new one.

4. Align the tips of the upper and lower parts, and then push them

together until it is securely closed.

CAUTION:

• When replacing battery, keep dirt, grease, and other foreign materials off the electrode

contact area.

• After replacing the battery, check that all Intelligent Key functions work normally.

Sorry i tried to attach pictures but i couldn't do it for some reason!

if you PM me your e-mail address i will send you a detailed Pdf file from the the worshop manual.

• Like 1

I'm having this same problem with my 2009 370z ie Intermittant illumination of the Amber I-key light.

First thing i did was change to the CR2032 cells on BOTH my fobs but it made absolutely no difference.

Been doing a bit of reading on the Amercan forums & it seems these electronic steering lock problems are becoming very common with the 2009 versions.

It is giving so much trouble over there that they a crying out for a recall!

I have been lucky in that my 370 starts/drives completely normally but In many cases the steering lock mechanism is completely immobilised (flat bed tow job!)

Best case scenario is that it is just the solonoid that has failed but in my case the diognostics flagged up a failure (or pending failure) of the complete assembly .... i can tell you this is not a cheap componant!!

My 2009 is still JUST within warranty. Local dealership (which i have been very impressed with over the 6 months i've owned my Zed) has to first have the repair approved by Nissan. Fingers crossed all will be well & they'll give the go ahead for the replacement.

Final note. Since Nissan cleared the codes two days ago the Intelligant key light has not re-illuminated again.

Perhaps it was just some kind of circuitry glitch?? Not convinced.....Personally i still think the issue is there...lets see how it goes!

Marco

Removing the steering lock fuse will solve the issue, but has to be done before the failure of the lock solenoid.

Then your insurance is invalid......

If you don't tell them who's gonna know ? And if you're really that concerned replace the fuse with a blown one job done !!!!!!!!!!

Bizarre, the key light started showing up on my 2010 Infiniti G37 last week. Hadn't really thought it might be anything but the battery. Some of these posts have got me a bit worried now. Well, if it's not just the battery I'll just have to add it to the looong list of things that have gone wrong with this piece of crap car!

I have been lucky in that my 370 starts/drives completely normally but In many cases the steering lock mechanism kicks the bucket completely & the whole vehicle is immobilised (flat bed tow job!)

Best case scenario is that it is just the solonoid that has failed but in my case the diognostics flagged up a failure (or pending failure) of the complete assembly .... i can tell you this is not a cheap componant!

Marco

Me & my big mouth!!.......The above fear came home to roost last night & i had to be flat bedded to my local dealership by the AA.

Good news is Nissan have agreed to replace it under the remaining warrenty & also provide me with a courtesey car. If the part takes a while to arrive then i won't be without wheels over Christmas/N year :thumbs: