air/fuel check light since uprev

bobmac

went over to RS tuning couple of months back, to have the remap by paul ( good day out and very knowledgeable people), before i went i fitted the plenum spacer and decatted with new Y pipe, and popcharger, was warned that this might provoke check light, but it ran OK but ever since remap the fault P1273 appears, it says its an air/fuel error, wouldnt be to bothered if its telling me its running slightly rich, but how do i know its not running lean ?, bought the OBD reader of flea bay cos i seem to be resetting it almost every journey, do i need to worry ? :)

It's the decat, you need to either run cats or get some plugs to lift the O2 sensors out of the exhaust gas.

O2 simulators in stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if you want a pair :thumbs:

Alex :)

That fault code isn't for the usual inefficient cat error after fitting HFC/decats (they are P0420 and P0430).

P1273 is because bank 1 sensor 1 is reading lean compared to the target mapped into the ECU and the closed loop system is having to correct too much to get the AFR within spec. A few things things can cause this: a leak in the exhaust system before the lambda sensor, the target thats been programmed into the ECU is way off the AFR that is achieved from the compensation table, lambda sensor fault or it could be you have a fuelling issue.

If I was diagnosing it I'd log the afr correction and see if its having to correct a lot to get to the fuelling target - and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers for the info Jez its appreciated, now fitted spacers and it seems to have cleared the fault ?, there was a slight leak from where the downpipe joined the decatt section so not sure which cured the fault, just out of curiosity how would i have gone about logging the AFR correction ?

You can get cheaper OBD loggers, but the Uprev cable is Nissan specific and works on JDM cars etc.

Mine is a JDM so I need one but usually the cheap obd-2 readers are quite vague. I personally find ones that connect to the laptop like cipher, STAR, durametric and RStuner are usually way way way better.

bloody hell mate that aint cheep, glad i got it sorted :)

You could of only masked the problem, as Jez said it isn't the normal cat efficency CEL you get when you remove the CATS.

Really needs the short term fuel trimming checked, it could be a front lambda detoriating or failing.

I would not be happy with thinking that the O2 spacers have cured the problem.

I have UpRev on my car along with Plenum Spacer, Popcharger, Berk HFCs and Nismo Cat Back. Had this code a few times now, not overly often and usually when pottering around.

I get the other codes (P04** something cant remember what now) a lot when its colder weather.

Car runs absolutely fine though, even with the lights on. Been told its just due to the cats and spoke to a few other Zed owners who also say the same. Not bothered with the O2 spacers as heard they dont work most of the time and a waste of money.

Someone has told me though that the UpRev map is supposed to stop the check light for HFC? :/

You can turn off the any CEL using the Uprev software;

cel350z3.jpg

By abbeymotorsport at 2012-07-24

This is a pretty rare code to see as Jez said before , normally means the car is starting to see a AFR that it shouldn't be seeing.

cel350z2.jpg

This is the code you normally see when you fit De-cats or HFC's to a Zed, this is what people fit O2 spacers to to try and cure this CEL problem, spacers just keep the rear O2 sensors out of the exhaust gas so trying to stop the O2 sensor sniffing the exhaust gas.

cel350z1.jpg

You do see this occasionally if the tune isnt spot on , i.e the front O2 sensor measures a AFR that is different to the AFR ratio in the AFR layout map like below;

afrlayoutmap.jpg

hope this helps.

Not bothered with the O2 spacers as heard they dont work most of the time and a waste of money.

Absolute rubbish:

The mechanical fix of fitting the O2 simulators (spacers) has a 95% success rate.

Alex :)

Thanks for the info Mark, that is very helpful! :) Nice to see an insight into what happens with UpRev and what is possible etc.

As I said I've only had the P1273 code myself a few times over the past 8000 miles, usually when pottering around or in traffic. Should i be worried?

EDIT: Just checked through some of my old posts. It wasnt P1273 i was getting but P1283, so the other bank! Not that this makes any difference.

Also over the winter I was getting a lot of P0139 and P0159 codes. Not the same as the P0420/430 ones you mentioned!

Yeah those are the ones!

Actually ended up with some more yesterday haha! Just read the codes and I've got P0146, P0147, P0166 and P0167. Or at least I think.... I get one long flash, then one quick one, then four, then six. Then one long flash, then one quick one, then four, then seven etc. Is that P0146 or P1146? I assumed it was P0146 as I couldn't find a P1146 anywhere online lol!

Looks like I may need to get some secondary lambdas then :(

Out of interest, do you think if the secondary ones were failing that it would cause the P1283 code to flag up occasionally? Wondering if its all connected.

Cant find these codes;

P0146, P0147, P0166 and P0167? so are you sure they are the correct codes?

Are you running de-cats or HFC's? If so I would just turn the rear lambda's off that will stop any rear O2 codes being flagged up also turn off P0420/0430 catalyst efficiency codes ( these always throw CELS when the cats are removed or sometimes when HFC's are fitted)

The P1283 code would need looking into thou , maybe have a look to see if the a difference bank to bank on the front O2 lambda voltages.

whoops spoke to soon, first time out today in a while been working away , and guess what, CEL back, on plugged in OBD, and P1273 appeared again, i know i have a slight leak at the joint from manifold to decatt pipe, will try and sort a gasket out this week, other than that it looks like a rebook to RS at leeds to get paul to perform his black magic :)

I think so Mark, like I said its either that or P1146, P1147, P1166 and P1167? I just couldnt find any of those codes with a Google search so assumed it must of been the others. I get one long flash, then one short and then 4 then 6 or whatever the last two numbers are.

I'm running Berk HFCs. Is it not a problem to disable all the rear lambda readings then? Would you suggest replacing the rear lambdas for new ones or just disabling the codes?? We are in Devon so not really that close to any UpRev supplier :( What would the charge be?