SAT NAV unit?

MWTech

hey guys

my GT has most of the things except the sat nav unit, its just a cubby storage box

is there a way i can change this to the sat nav unit. factory setup. is the factory setup decent and up to date, or am i better looking at another sat nav option for in there, for example a sat nav screen unit with more features than just sat nav

either way, shits gotta change, that cubby hole bugs my happiness :thumbdown:

i maybe posted this in the wrong section, sorry oops. its not something im ready to buy right now so the wanted section maybe isnt appropriate, id like to do it in a month or two, i want to know whats involved in changing a non satnav to the factory sat nav unit, or another similar screen insert

thanks for the reply mate, so the factory sat nav is gash aye? i was wondering about that, thats why alternative satnav featured screens would be good

To be fair it isn't complete gash but for what it would cost and the hassle of retro fitting it you would be far better off getting something else.

Have you thought about getting a tomtom or garmin to fit in the cubby? Deosn't look as good but cheap as chips :thumbs:

Mine cost me £200, £50 for the cubby off a member and £149.99 for the Navman Panoramic 7" nav. Had to take it totally to bits and hardwire it though ;)

To be fair it isn't complete gash but for what it would cost and the hassle of retro fitting it you would be far better off getting something else.

+1

I have the bird view system, I like it up until the point someone says "here's the postcode" at which point bird view fails. It only takes street names and towns, which can be troublesome.

+1

I have the bird view system, I like it up until the point someone says "here's the postcode" at which point bird view fails. It only takes street names and towns, which can be troublesome.

Yeah I just don't get that at all, I have the same thing with my OEM nav in the Leon :bang:

The Navman in the Zed lets you enter whatever you want in whatever detail you want i.e. post code on its own or postcode, then road then house number etc.

It's the extras too it cost me £20 for a traffic add on that updates and routes you around black spots with no subscription and I paid £25 for a years worth of speed cam updates. You get free map tweaks here and there as well, but you do have to pay when there is a major update which is fair enough I guess :thumbs:

Only thing with mine is I think I have fried the battery :lol: not really an issue as when the ignition is on the nav runs from that anyway ;)

You can mount and wire in a non modified garmin 1490T in the empty cubby box for about £10 of additional mounts and connectors too. :thumbs: Its not as plush and OEM looking as SMD's intall, but it has the advantage of being removable. Works for me..

Aftermarket ftw.

You can mount and wire in a non modified garmin 1490T in the empty cubby box for about £10 of additional mounts and connectors too. :thumbs: Its not as plush and OEM looking as SMD's intall, but it has the advantage of being removable. Works for me..

Aftermarket ftw.

+1 especially if you need it for a 2nd car :thumbs:

thanks for this advice guys, this is making me sway very much towards an aftermarket system or even removable type.

quick question about the portable type like the navman, i have used one of them ( in the normal fashion, stuck to windscreen ) not an up to date model mind you, but whats the signal like inside that cubby box? my mate who was passenger when i last used the navman im talking about sometimes stopped working when he took it off the window and held it in his lap/between his knees

thanks for the replys guys

I can't speak for Navman specifically, but later sat navs perform a lot better generally than older types. GPS chips are way improved over the last 5 years. My garmin works perfectly in the cubby and the FM traffic radio antenna, which I've buried behind the plastic, appears to work too. If the older Navman doesnt quite cut it, a new sat nav with added gadgets like bluetooth, traffic and uptodate maps certainly will. Amazing what you can get for around £140 :thumbs:

nice replies thanks :)

so your saying dave that you get the small stand alone sat nav with yours that you could say stick to the window but you also get a 7 inch screen with it? or is the sat nav itself a large screen item?

never knew these sat nav units were including blue tooth etc too. do any include tv channels? :D you know, for if you ever stop somewhere

cheers

Most stick on screen navs are 4"-5" ones, the navman panoramic fits the zed satnav cubby perfectly so it suits my setup also the big screen is nice you can everything so clearly!

I had to butcher it a bit there is a thread on here called motorised cubby, although i broke the motor :cry:

Sorry to hijack. But my jdm has a fuse behind the dash ready to plug in an aftermarket, there's a hole in the non motorised cubby for the power cord to feed into the cubby

I have the 5" 2545 garmin, can I ask how you guys mounted your sat navs in?

The garmin is quite thin so I was considering just buying a dashboard mount and sticking that in?.

I did this

1adc744b.jpg

Then went via this

22e05f5c.jpg

I drilled a hole in my cubby, then laid cables down the centre console and added this connector jumping off the rear cig lighter,

9365d9af.jpg

And after a bit of tidying cables etc, to get this

df7f0691.jpg

:thumbs:

Very nice :)

I'm pretty sure I have the same setup, I have a hole on the drivers side of the cubby hole, with a fused connector somewhere behind the dash, where I would connect up the power cable and feed it up into the cubby thru that hole. I just can't seem to find the power connector behind the dash. I'll need to call the prev owner, any ideas lol?

I installed mine from scratch - so I guess you'd only really know whats already there by pulling the dash off... Its easier than you'd think btw - start with a gear knob upgrade then zeditis into a HU swap, and bury/install the sat nav cable at the same time. :p My power comes from the garmin cable which is terminated by a mini usb.

Gear finisher pops off, revealing 2 screws (IIRC) for the dash. Whole thing rotates off. You have to be careful with all the attached cables and ribbons of course.

hmm could have sworn i replied, but it didnt work lol!

The power connector is in fact behind the heater/AC controls. Do you reckon, if im clever, i could just remove the heater control section and feed the mini USB part of the lead up to the hole on the side of the cubby? Or will the head unit get in the way and require the entire assembly to be removed?

Likely the latter. You'd never manage to thread the cable up to the cubby without pulling it out (dimensions are quite tight). But if you've got heater controls / gear shift finisher off, its only a small step when unscrewing / (and unclipping - depending on how you HU has been installed) and rotating the centre dash off. :thumbs: