would you let someone test drive your car?

nixy

So what do you guys do if you sell a car privately? Obviously a punter who has fully comp insurance can usually come and test drive your car legally with your permission third party but would you let them? It's a bit of a catch 22 - you don't want them to drive it without full cover and they won't want to buy it if you don't let them drive it. Is it worth getting cover for any driver over 25 on a temporary basis while you're selling it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, i will only let someone test drive the car if they are fully comp, i would not fork out for the extra money just so they can test drive it. They can go to a dealer to do that! I will however take them out and point any problems out to them (if any) but no way will someone drive my car uninsured.

Nope, i will only let someone test drive the car if they are fully comp, i would not fork out for the extra money just so they can test drive it. They can go to a dealer to do that! I will however take them out and point any problems out to them (if any) but no way will someone drive my car uninsured.

Same here. Ive taken buyers out before but I wont let them drive it.

I will make them sign an agreement to say any damages and fines that they may obtain will be fully covered by themselves and get them to provide proof of address and see their driving licence. If they dont, i will not let them drive it

No way would I let anyone take a vehicle of mine for a test drive.. :dry:

only way I would countenance it is if they dropped me the full asking price in cash (pound notes with me )

in fact if they had or caused an accident while on a test drive you could probably be held responsible for allowing them to drive an unfamiliar car, especially with all the law suites swimming around I would think the aggrieved party would have a good claim...common Digsy give us a legal opinion :)

exactly. I mean they could just get out and walk away with a "sorry mate"!

I once let someone take my 3 series out on their own and I kept keys to his car - the tosser actually nicked my rear bulbs!

exactly. I mean they could just get out and walk away with a "sorry mate"!

I once let someone take my 3 series out on their own and I kept keys to his car - the tosser actually nicked my rear bulbs!

keeping keys to a car is no guarantee either though Nixy....plenty of stolen cars with keys ;)

I let P15ULT drive my kuro zed when he bought it B)

Your very trusting Sarnie... BUT what if God Forbid something had gone wrong ?????? :headhurt:

If's, but's and maybe's. Like a lot of things in life its a calculated risk. I wanted the UY bad enough so I did. I haven't informed the insurance of my nismo zorst either.........hey ho

I let P15ULT drive my kuro zed when he bought it B)

Your very trusting Sarnie... BUT what if God Forbid something had gone wrong ?????? :headhurt:

If's, but's and maybe's. Like a lot of things in life its a calculated risk. I wanted the UY bad enough so I did. I haven't informed the insurance of my nismo zorst either.........hey ho

Its a standard nissan exhaust isnt it? lol

Thinking about it now, i dont think i will let anyone test drive it, hey im even funny about my dad driving the car and he is insured.

only way I would countenance it is if they dropped me the full asking price in cash (pound notes with me )

in fact if they had or caused an accident while on a test drive you could probably be held responsible for allowing them to drive an unfamiliar car, especially with all the law suites swimming around I would think the aggrieved party would have a good claim...common Digsy give us a legal opinion :)

Probably not liable for letting someone drive your unfamiliar car. But I do agree with the consensus that unless you can verify that they have full comprehensive insurance covering your car (not just theirs) don't let them drive. Addresses, keys, other cars etc. aren't good enough. They might not own any of these things and there's no point suing someone with no money.

This is generally why I take the hit and trade in rather than sell privately.

Probably not liable for letting someone drive your unfamiliar car. But I do agree with the consensus that unless you can verify that they have full comprehensive insurance covering your car (not just theirs) don't let them drive. Addresses, keys, other cars etc. aren't good enough. They might not own any of these things and there's no point suing someone with no money.

My comprehensive cover with RAC does not allow me even to drive any other car at all, not even 3rd party!!! :surrender:

My comprehensive cover with RAC does not allow me even to drive any other car at all, not even 3rd party!!! :surrender:

They've heard about you, pal! ;):p

I'm sorry but did you actually let someone drive off on their own in your car?

----

I can drive anybodys car third party with my insurance but if I know I'll have the car for longer than a short journey I get my insurance changed over.

This might be a daft question but are you under 25? If so, that's why.

Nope 28 B)

....he just acts 15! :teeth:

I must be getting better then cos last time it was 12 :teeth:

:lol: OMG I inadvertently complimented you! :wacko: