Helmet wanted

philw99

Good Helmet wanted for track days and Karting, they all appear daft money and i don't really know what I'm after.

Don't mind spending the money if i know what i'm getting is good.

any advice people? would like to think I'd be able to use it to compete if i ever got the opportunity (not saying that i will)

Never buy a helmet without trying it on first. I know what size I am, but different styles don't fit me the same so instead of a GP5 at £600, I got a Sparco Formula for £300 less and it's perfect for me.

Demon Tweeks in Wrexham or GPRW in Silverstone keep plenty in stock for you to try on.

Never buy a helmet without trying it on first. I know what size I am, but different styles done fit me the same so instead of a GP5 at £600, I got a Sparco Formula for £300 less and it's perfect for me.

Demon Tweeks in Wrexham or GPRW in Silverstone keep plenty in stock for you to try on.

Exactly, Arai is a bit too tight on me, but AVG is perfect.

With helmets you get what you pay for, no point buying a cheap one at £100 if it isn't worth squat when you actually need it. Around £300 is where you get the best bang for buck.

I spent time trying on helmets before buying online. There isn't many places up here that do helmets so was quite difficult. For what the guy wants a cheaper helmet will be fine. Wouldn't use them on a bike though.

If you don't need a specific motorsport helmet then you can buy a bike one. Go to a large bike accessory shop and try them all on.

I have a top spec AGV, Sporty Arais just don't fit me but the lesser spec ones do. Try, try, try!

I can't stress what has been said above enough. Spend the most you can afford - you only get one head.

I can speak from personal experience (bike not car). Even though I know what size I am, some helmets just don't fit. Personally Arai fit me perfectly, but the same size Shoei just is uncomfortable and doesn't fit at all.

I had a huge accident on my bike and basically flew over a flatbed truck to land on my head. My Arai saved me from serious head injury or possibly worse. I only ever wear Arai after that.

I'd visit my local bike dealer, try on as many lids as possible, make a note of the one you like, then do a bit of online shopping to search for deals.