Second car...

coldel

...prompted by the recent BMW 'months on' thread - have to say hats off to the modest Ford Focus.

I bought a 'sensible' car when Becks and I were trying for a baby, a year later sold it as things were not progressing as planned and bought something non sensible in a Zed. A month later, we got the news we had been waiting for...but, oh no, wrong car for the job!

So, we needed a second car and set a £2k budget - managed to snap up a Ford Focus on an 04 plate, 1.8 petrol Ghia with 62k miles.

Since then I have had this list go wrong with it:

1. I lost the plastic cigarette lighter cover

Erm and thats it really. They are common as any car out there but for a very good reason. The ride and handling are great, massively specced out with the Ford Ghia spec and the boot just eats up baby buggies and bags etc with space to spare. Serviced it myself last month with parts coming to £90.

Have been really surprised with it, Becks loves it, cant sing its praises enough.

:thumbs:

Amen

I put 126,000 miles on a mk1 Focus 1.6 Zetec (52 plate) and it never put a foot wrong! Naturally discs, pads, clutch and exhaust needed changing in that time but as you suggest parts can be had for cheap.

Compared to other modern family cars it really does have excellent steering feel... and a well balanced chassis. Reviews of the mk3 Focus are generally positive but most point to steering feel as a weakness... the mk1 set the bar high.

:thumbs:

I managed to fit an oversized chest of drawers in the back with the seats down - its like a van in this respect.

But seconding the handling, it really turns in well, no surprises awaiting you and a very upright seating position which feels pretty natural.

I recently drove the missus' Kia Picanto and I will never drive it again. Truly a terrible little car with the longest clutch in the world and might as well only have one pedal seeing as they are so close together and don't get me started on the plastic steering wheel! Gear changes were nice though :wacko:

I also have the use of a 99 Primera which after driving the Zed feels like I'm in a lorry due to the ride height. It's a diesel and it's old, so it's pathetic too.

Maybe I'm just too in one with my Zed to appreciate over cars for what they are. :cloud9:

I managed to fit an oversized chest of drawers in the back with the seats down - its like a van in this respect.

But seconding the handling, it really turns in well, no surprises awaiting you and a very upright seating position which feels pretty natural.

Fords rule mate......I got a 6ft bath in the back of my Cougar! :#1: