Orange bit of paper worth £54m

coldel

I think I must just be at a lower state of consciousness than the rest of the world, because I really really can't see why you'd buy some orange wallpaper instead of (for example) a car collection to rival Jay Leno's. :blink:

DB

I think I must just be at a lower state of consciousness than the rest of the world, because I really really can't see why you'd buy some orange wallpaper instead of (for example) a car collection to rival Jay Leno's. :blink:

DB

each to their own. may be that the person who bought this cannot understand why anyone would spend time on the internet talking about cars? :p

even if i didn't like art, which i do, they aren't making any more of these... so like jay's cars, they'll only get more valuable.

I can understand the value of the cars though, the time, the materials, the effort - its all tangible. Admittedly that picture took time, skill and effort, but not even a fraction of what fifty million quids worth of cars would take.

If it was a picture that only that artist could have produced, then maybe yes there is something to it, but to be honest I could fake one that in about an hour, write his name on the bottom of it, and any 'expert' with millions in their pockets would stand there taking in its majesty and talking about what its saying etc.

I can understand the value of the cars though, the time, the materials, the effort - its all tangible. Admittedly that picture took time, skill and effort, but not even a fraction of what fifty million quids worth of cars would take.

If it was a picture that only that artist could have produced, then maybe yes there is something to it, but to be honest I could fake one that in about an hour, write his name on the bottom of it, and any 'expert' with millions in their pockets would stand there taking in its majesty and talking about what its saying etc.

if you genuinely believe that, give it a try.

if you genuinely believe that, give it a try.

Fnar! Mordern art is a club like the masons or something, if you're in, you're in. Most pieces worth is purely what someone has been convinced to pay for it, it's all about cultivating cachet, hype, rarity, and above all, hubris.

I call it 'Orange and Black' - its a cultural insight into the misgivings of modern society where rules and regulations fail to adhere individuals and groups to the ethnic presumptions acquitainted with said cultures.

Print 1 of 1, uber rare, open to offers before I put it up at Southebys

untitled-1.png

:p

I call it 'Orange and Black' - its a cultural insight into the misgivings of modern society where rules and regulations fail to adhere individuals and groups to the ethnic presumptions acquitainted with said cultures.

untitled-1.png

:thumbs::lol:

Haha thats great, i'll give you a quid for it!

But seriously, Rothkos are weird... they are by far the easiest looking paintings to do, yet they sell for millions... my girlfriend loves Rothko paintings, we went to an exhibition in the Tate Liverpool a few years back. They're very foreboding paintings, i know its just blocks of colour, but they are really unsettling and moody.

Also pictures don't do them justice at all, full size they're about 10feet by 15feet :scare:

untitled-1.png

Brilliant :lol:

untitled-1.png

put it in as part of the raffle prize for the wales run ? :dummy:

untitled-1.png

mark, is that you? ;)

...to make it even more authentic there are two words may2012 and zebra written on the back (which you can faintly see indentations of) - in years to come Tom Hanks Jr will play a symbology expert on a mission to decipher these strange inscriptions on the back of this contemporary work of art.