Want to check something re nitrogen filled tyres

NeilMH

I have read the various threads on Nitrogen filled tyres.

I had my 050As filled with Nitrogen but stupidly I did it at the same time as a number of other things so I cannot really judge what difference it has made to ride quality (specifically).

Here is my theory based on what I have read so far:

Nitrogen filled tyres react less to heat expansion than air filled ones. That being so, when the tyres get hot the pressures would remain lower, therefore the ride quality should be better.

Would that be right?

yep, thats the theory. However i dont think you're going to notice a great deal on the road, as you arent really heating the tyres up much, and you arent at the limits of adhesion. On a racetrack where tenths of a second count and tyre pressures are an exact science, it might make a difference.

but then again, for an extra couple of quid or whatever kwikfit charge, it is something cool to bring up down the pub.

:thumbs:

- Less inflation pressure loss

- Reduced wheel corrosion

- Prevents inner-liner rubber deterioration by oxidation

- Tires run cooler

- Increases tread life

- Increases fuel mileage

- Helps prevent uneven wear

...... according to the leaflet I was given when I had my last set of tyres done... with nitrogen

Thanks brillomaster and DoogyRev. I've always had a bit of a hang-up about ride quality for a road car. Given the state of the roads I derive greater handling confidence from a car that also rides well.

So, by the sound of it, in theory it may help ride quality but it is probably not that noticeable - still I'll take whatever I can get.

It don't do jack..... It's just an inert gas.....

Try telling that to F1 teams and Airline operators ;)

I have been toying with the idea of getting mine filled too after i noticed my tyre pressure's increased 4psi after a run in the car! :surrender:

Try telling that to F1 teams and Airline operators ;)

I have been toying with the idea of getting mine filled too after i noticed my tyre pressure's increased 4psi after a run in the car! :surrender:

Was only :stir:

Please do not concern yourself unduly on my account. I am only using the nitrogen to fill my tyres. When it comes to doing Jack, I am

sure Jill is still happy to do the honours :)

Just dont see it for normal driving that 90% of us do, if it makes any appreciable difference. Yes Ive read up on it and whilst I understand the plus points for racing and airlines thats a long way from me going down to the fish and chip shop very friday night.

I checked these out when fitting a new set of wheels and it didnt add up to me for what we drive our cars for, and the lads at the garage didnt do it either. Never had a rusty allow interior on the alloys (oxydisation) either and I've driven them for over 40years.

Unless you suck out all the air beforehand, you'll not notice any effect on the road. On track you'll notice more stable pressures, but not by much.

The biggest difference I found when using it was that the tyres didn't drop pressure over time as quickly as they normally do: I'm talking months of stable pressure when cold. If you can find it somewhere cheap then give it a go, else don't bother. I don't any more.