Driving days

atchi123

I would really like to learn to handle my zed properly and quite fancy a day on a track with some tuition, etc. However I don't like the idea of blasting the tyres and brake pads off my car and the cost involved in replacing. Is there anywhere you can reccomend that would have a zed available to take out?

I think I read somewhere that Jonathan Palmer has a Zed at his circuit.

He had some MY06 300PS jobbies (at Bedford I think) but he's just got rid of them I believe.

Whatever, if you think about it the cost of brakepads and tyres (+ more!!)will be built into the cost you pay for using someone else's Zed on the track. You may as well use you own and learn how to handle your car!

There are plenty of track days out there which offer training - although in my experience they teach you the lines for the track you're at and not much more. There are a few places which are more oriented along the lines of car control in general. Plans Motorsport at Dunsfold are very good, and they teach you on the Top Gear track (and you'll get your name on the Pistonheads power board as a bonus). There are also the "Walshy" days at North Weald in Essex which are highly regarded. I'm booked in for one in March so I'll report back after.

If you're more northerly I presume there are similar schemes near you.

If you want really great driving training Andy Walsh is the man.

Try www.carlimits.com as he has an elise or can be done in your car very very safely.

If you want other recommendations, come to the http://www.lotrdc.com/ day at brands as I would think there would 20-30 if not more of his students there.

John,

Sorry but still think that Colin should offer a discount over here and also he did have not so great reviews by a couple over there.

Tyres will only be a couple of mil and pads will depend on how you drive, but training is no where as bad as trackday for wear.

Trackday is carrying lots of speed into corners and may lead to heavy braking, where as training will be more about how the car handles, when it is on the limit and what to do when it goes past that etc, not likely to be a big brakes thing.

Just driving fast does nopt teach you anything, it is more about feeling what a car tells you than going from top end to zero ASAP.