Gracenote update

maxi-glasgow

I put my first new albums into the 370z last night and it wasn't able to assign the proper track names and album etc when I was recording onto the Music Box.

So I done some searching about how you update the database, which must be possible as there is an option in there to update the Gracenote database via USB.

But only thing I can find is where you attach a USB device and it copies over all missing tracks, you plug this into your laptop and it marries them up using the online database, you then plug the USB back into the car and it overwrites the missing tracks.

This is far from ideal as it means everytime you put a relatively new CD into the system you need to carry this out, whereas one update and you should be good until the next new releases come out...

From what I remember of doing the update you are correct. You attached the USB, it updates the listings on the PC and then you stick it in the car again and it updates them. It doesnt do a full DB update, just the tracks you are missing that you have ripped.

Far easier to get a 16GB USB stick and put MP3s on that with the information already correct. I usually use my iPhone and that works fine.

Yes I was using my iPhone all the time but it's a faff to have to go to your iphone if you want to change out of a playlist etc with the only control you have from the steering wheel controls is to move forward or back a track.

It would have been good if you could also record MP3's from a memory stick into the Music Box rather than only audio CD tracks.

From my experience using a USB stick is useless - 256 tracks is the limit - whatever size USB stick you use (Premium Connect in a 2010 Roadster) - £65 for a used ipod with an 80GB disk is a much better solution with full control (well sort of) but for some reason you have to use a real ipod cable in the car.

Andrew

Just yesterday I realised I had a 60GB iPod sitting in my laptop bag full of songs. But I had also burned two albums from the iTunes this ipod is linked to before I realised I still had the ipod.

I put the burnt CD's in the Car and recorded them to the music box, and I also attached the iPod using an Apple cable. And I must say I was extremely disappointed with the sound quality when I put the tunes banging on the stereo.

Yet the same tracks burnt to CD and then imported into Music Box are superb with no distortion....what gives?

Did the old iPod use a crap bitrate when copying tracks?

Although I have not checked what my equalizer settings are on the iPod yet if that will make a difference? I thought the equalizer was just for the headphone output though.

try turning the volume of the ipod down.

Does the ipod connector not deliver it as line level output rather than speaker level? If so you wont be able to adjust it on the ipod. Should in theory sound pretty much the same on ipod as CD ripped MP3, but it will depend on the bitrates used by iTunes to iPod and Music box in the car from CD.