CAT driver training - my experience 30-3-2012

Ebized

I now have an Advanced Driving Certificate, courtesy of CAT driver training! :yahoo:

No pics of the day I'm afraid but something here to check out:

http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/inde ... l-day.html

Very generously provided by my long suffering wife as a Christmas/birthday prezzie - June having travelled with me on many thousands of miles of 350/370Z drives and no doubt anxious to make sure my abilities were up to my confidence.... :blush: The outcome may not be what she had expected... :teeth:

A whole day - one to one with the principal - Colin Hoad whose background/qualifications can be seen here:

http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/inde ... tions.html

But what probably influenced me the most was the fact he worked with Nissan on the development on the 350Z for Europe, as well as members on here whose opinions I come to highly value and have recommended his services.

Onto the day.

Arrived at Millbrook at 9am to be met by my namesake and with the formalities over headed out to the M1 for motorway assessment, and after a coffee break at Silverstone some country road driving. A host of useful information on reading the roads and traffic conditions and road placement in busy situations came from that driving.

Fortunately it revealed I had not got into too many bad habits since passing my test over 46 years ago and having given a running commentary on part of the motorway journey it seems I might not have too much to put right if I were to go for IAM test. One thing I was picked up on was making better (obvious) use of the nearside mirror. I have tended to rely on the interior mirror when 'sighting' nearside traffic - partly as I find the blind spot in the nearside mirror unhelpful but also when glancing across it removes the peripheral view of what is happening in the offside mirror. But I will certainly work harder on that in future.

After lunch at a very nice pub, it was into Millbrook for the work I was really looking forward to. The site's security is understandable although numerous vehicles using the on and off road facilities were heavily disguised. :ninja:

A initial insight to some of Millbrook's facilities was shown by Colin in his BMW 320D which seemed all very tame until we went onto the Outer Handling Circuit and WOW, it just seemed the car was on rails and the speed was incredible and seemed it would be impossible for me to replicate. :surrender:

First for me was onto the mile straight to explore the ABS, at increasing speeds up to 100. Interesting info about threshold and trail braking and 'toe curling' and how I should use the brake more vigorously initially and then to feather off just before the ABS kicks in. Certainly helped to reveal just how quick the 370 can stop from high speeds with me applying the right level of braking, even when the car is deliberately taken off the straight line. The constant radius turn at the end to get you back to the start was the initiation to what was to come on the high/constant speed circuit....

Apparently I got up to hitting 130mph+ around the constant radius high speed circuit - a little unnerving at first with the armco just a feet away but once I had got my brain to master the art of sighting the bend at distance it was amazing just how little input from me was necessary - you can virtually let the car run there without holding the wheel - the banking and car's dynamics holding the car in position with minimal corrections on the occasional bumps. A truly fantastic experience.

Then onto the steering pad to see what the car would traction control on and off. Quite an eye opener for anyone who has not tried this, somewhere safely. With the TC on at gradually increasing speed the car's limits are revealed by understeer and the same applies with the TC off. But boot the power with it the TC on and car simply sticks to the line, albeit the system slows the car on the constant circle line. Do the same with the TC off and we all know what happens - yep - a fairly violent dose of oversteer - even on a bone dry and grippy surface. A reminder that the TC is there to do a job of keeping you safe. No, I wasn't about to ask to practice some drifting seeing the amount of rubber I had already just left on the circuit. That said, I can say I am now in awe of the abilities of the Vredstein Ultra Sessantas - even if the wear rate turns out not to be brilliant for the £760 odd I paid for the set of 4 their grip and the fact they have dialled out the tramlining is, IMO, wholly better than the RE050a's fitted as standard on 370's :thumbs:

Then moved onto the Outer Handling Circuit which is what I found the most enjoyable. Although just some 6 metres wide and some fairly tight corners 3rd gear was useable all the way round (although 4th was hit a couple of times). Braking in a straight line and turning in late and now knowing the braking/steering abilities, was then enhanced by keeping the right level of power on through the more corners to help maximise the entry exit speeds, coupled by smooth steering inputs to get that wonderful flowing feeling on a track that previously I had only ever experienced as a passenger when taken out on tracks with race drivers. Absolutely glorious. B)

Then a short stint on the Alpine course which is a very mini take on the 'Ring' , but nevertheless the blind brows grab your attention!!

With a debrief and very grateful opportunity for a V-power fill to get us home (given the current fuel problems), at 5.30 pm I was on my way to meet June who I had left shopping in Milton Keynes for the day to tell her that I had been told my confidence had in fact needed to be enhanced and was now more on a par with my improved abilities, enabling me to progress on the road more quickly. Not quite the outcome she wanted to hear I suspect, but I think the :D:D on my face and non-stop chatter over dinner about the day said it all. Simply awesome and something that has not only taught me two to drive better but something I would encourage anyone who enjoys spirited driving to do - just such a wonderful feeling to explore yours and the cars limits in complete safety.

A truly great day I will never forget and owe an awful lot to Colin for his superb tuition :#1: and to June for making it possible. :love:

Nice write up Colin. I've previously looked into the costs of the 1to1, so it's good to hear that its money well spent (I hope Colin 2 paid for lunch! :lol: ).

Maybe something to save up for next year, as I've had the Zed 4 years this August, and it's really some thing I'm looking to continue growing into for the foreseeable future.

I did this last year and I too found it to be an extremely beneficial day :thumbs::drive1 I can only echo to Ebized's recommendation, CAT and Colin are absolutely first class in every regard, I certainly found out how much more the Zed was capable of and in complete safety :thumbs::thumbs: