Annoying insurance issue with my new Civic

chrisgunton

I went and paid a deposit on my new car today, a 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi SE.

Can't want to get it!

The Nissan has been sold and is being collected, and my Skoda Fabia is going up for sale ASAP so that I'm only running one car.

I called Admiral who handle my multicar policy and informed them that the Nissan can come off the policy - no problem.

When I asked them to reduce the Skoda Fabia's annual mileage from 18k to 1k - there is no difference in the price! What the hell?! How can it cost me £300 a year to have the Nissan on a 3k mile policy but an old Skoda Fabia is over £500 for even less miles?

As it stands my insurance is actually going to go UP as a result of having cheaper cars doing less miles.

It should be both, as I arranged this for the Nissan+Skoda, but I think it's been forgotten...again. They had a hard time getting everything right when I took out the policy last time :angry:

I'm with admiral and they only let me apply my no claims discount to one vehicle, which is standard practice.

Unfortunately while you're young (under 30), Admiral are often the only company with anything close to a competitive price and experiences with them can be mixed (from personal experience - many lies, cover ups and will screw you over at any opportunity).

Having said the above, Admiral's cheapest insurance price is for 6k mileage - a lot cheaper than 1k.

They let me apply the NCB discount to both cars when I phoned and "raised my voice" a bit after they did the same for a friend of mine.

I absolutely hate dealing with them over the phone - if only it was possible to view the details online and make changes. I guess if that was possible they would have to have firm and fare rules for everyone rather than just making it up as they go along on a case-by-case basis.

Will probably get a quote for the Civic seperately now and just cancel the Skoda policy as soon as possible. It's now on eBay and after a few hours I've already had a message from an interested buyer.

They let me apply the NCB discount to both cars when I phoned and "raised my voice" a bit after they did the same for a friend of mine.

I absolutely hate dealing with them over the phone - if only it was possible to view the details online and make changes. I guess if that was possible they would have to have firm and fare rules for everyone rather than just making it up as they go along on a case-by-case basis.

Will probably get a quote for the Civic seperately now and just cancel the Skoda policy as soon as possible. It's now on eBay and after a few hours I've already had a message from an interested buyer.

You can make quite a lot of changes online, I submitted to add my alloy wheels online and got a confirmation email the next day.

Try signing into your account online and see what you can do.

Unfortunately while you're young (under 30), Admiral are often the only company with anything close to a competitive price and experiences with them can be mixed (from personal experience - many lies, cover ups and will screw you over at any opportunity).

Having said the above, Admiral's cheapest insurance price is for 6k mileage - a lot cheaper than 1k.

Admiral used to be reasonable, they're not anymore. I moved away from them after a number of years, loyalty means nothing as they would not match a quote £20 cheaper with the same features so I moved.

Admiral were very keen to try and get me to move onto a multi car policy with them when i renewed my car insurance earlier in the year. I must have spoken to them about 5 times at least on the phone and each time they told me they could only apply my ncb to one vehicle on the policy, which meant paying the full price for the 2nd vehicle - so you did well in getting them to apply it to both vehicles.

The other factor which made me not go for the multi car policy was that if i was to sell one car half way through the policy they said that unless i insured another car with them, then the insurance on the main car would increase as id non longer be in a multi car policy. There would also be a fee. So effectively they would be forcing me to insure my 2nd car with them, even if their quotation was not the most competitive.

I must have spoken to them about 5 times at least on the phone and each time they told me they could only apply my ncb to one vehicle on the policy

last year was the first year i insured with Admiral multicar (have 3 cars to insure) and was told the same thing.. they applied my NCB to the 350 and my Wifes NCB to her car then i had to have no NCB on my fishing car (Saab Aero) but this year when they were not as cheap as a couple of others i called them to see what they could do and they matched my NCB from the 350 to the Saab without me even asking bringing them in cheaper then everyone else so it CAN be done its just if they want to or not

I called them up to insure the Civic and cancel the Nissan. They got everything wrong at every single point of the phone call. Literally, every single thing the phone operator said was wrong.

So I stopped everything and just told them to cancel the policy for the Nissan.

Managed to get cover for the Civic seperately for £55pm and the Skoda will be sold soon so I can cancel that policy with them too.

Got my cancellation documents though today along with a customer satisfaction questionnaire! Pass me my complaining pen! :clap:

As far as I know, you can legally only add NCB to one car, but there is nothing stopping any insurance company from discounting a 2nd cars premium on an experienced driver basis. Most now will also give you discount if you've only been a named driver for X number of years, same thing.

For anyone who has got Admiral or any other company to discount their 2nd car, have a look at your policy documents and check to see how many (if any) years NCB is added to each car. I'd be interested to find out if I am wrong, would help negotiations next year maybe...