Things to do in York

It's my Birthday next weekend and me and the new Mrs Tarmac are off to York for a few days.

I'm not being completely lazy as I've done the usual googling etc but does anyone have some good pointers for places to go and see, last time I went I was about 10 which is about 5 years ago so I can't remember much.

We both like sight seeing and architecture (well that's what I tell her) we are still in honey moon period and I'm trying to be a bit more sophisticated :blush:

Any suggestions would be appreciated :thumbs:

York is lovely, we have family there and we try and go as often as we can, usual places of visit for us are:

York Minster

A walk round the City of York Walls

Clifford’s Tower

The Shambles

Never been to the Jorvik Centre, that’s a place we’ll go and see this summer. Last time I was there we went to the Ask Pizza Restaurant, food wasn’t great but the venue/setting is excellent… :)

Oh and with your love of designer wear stay away from the Designer Outlet… :lol::thumbs:

Where will you be staying... :)

I can spend a full day in The National Railway Museum anytime. Last time I was there it was totally free entry, and a Yorkshireman likes that!

Take a ride on The North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Get there early and buy a ticket from Pickering right into Whitby, fabulous....

Steve

York is lovely, we have family there and we try and go as often as we can, usual places of visit for us are:

York Minster

Clifford’s Tower

The Shambles

Never been to the Jorvik Centre, that’s a place we’ll go and see this summer. Last time I was there we went to the Ask Pizza Restaurant, food wasn’t great but the venue/setting is excellent… :)

Oh and with your love of designer wear stay away from the Designer Outlet… :lol::thumbs:

Got a lush room with a balcony at the Marriot, think it over looks some race course or another B)

York Minster

Clifford’s Tower

The Shambles

Got a lush room with a balcony at the Marriot, think it over looks some race course or another B)

That’s a great location, stone throw away from the City Walls and also into the Centre too… :thumbs:

That might be YORK race course then :p;)

All joking apart, Colin, June Joy & I had a great meal here on the way back from the Hoon last September:-

http://www.luciawinebar.co.uk/york/

And if that's not to your liking then there are loads more in the same area all walkable :thumbs: Have a good one mate :)

York Minster

Clifford’s Tower

The Shambles

If it was winter I would sugest the ghost walk which starts off from the Shambles however I doubt it would be the same experience on a light evening.

Also for food I really liked the Biltmore Bar and grill, can get mega busy and typically have to book a few days in advance.

http://www.thebiltmorebarandgrill.com/

You may want to pay the admission to the Minster and climb the tower if you are into your architecture etc but there's loads of interesting things to see in the smallish center which is geared towards the tourist trade with signs everwhere.

oh and your wife would love afternoon tea at Betty's tea rooms.

I have in-laws living in Harrogate just outside of York so have been to all the sights with the kids, try the National railway museum, York it's a great day out and walking distance into York town which is fantastic. If it's a nice day go to Mother Shiptons Cave

Does the new Mrs Tarmac know how young you are, or is that all part of the attraction? :blush::shrug::lol:

last time I went I was about 10 which is about 5 years ago so I can't remember much.

hang on ... your 15?? lol you should take some time away from tarmac sportz and study for your gcse's :lol:

Does the new Mrs Tarmac know how young you are, or is that all part of the attraction? :blush::shrug::lol:

last time I went I was about 10 which is about 5 years ago so I can't remember much.

hang on ... your 15?? lol you should take some time away from tarmac sportz and study for your gcse's :lol:

Yeah, I had two paper rounds as well Grezza

For architecture you've got to see Barley Hall

http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/

and yes breakfast at Betty's ... there are two in York (but the best Betty's is in Ilkley)

Lunch? ... recommended venue is The Golden Fleece at the southern end of the Shambles ....try the Giant Yorkshire Pudding, Four Sausages and Mash served with Gravy for £7.95 (as recommended by Martinmac in his Christmas quiz)

http://www.thegoldenfleeceyork.co.uk/

Afternoon drink? Kings Arms on the river (that's why it keeps getting flooded) following a boat trip

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/48/4870/Kings_Arms/York