What exactly is a glaze?

SteveW

A glaze is usually an oil/polymer/silicone heavy liquid that is used to give a really deep wet/glossy look. They are great for hiding swirls and other defects, but dont typically offer any protection.

I would guess (having not used a glaze before myself) that it should go polish > glaze > wax. Polish preps the surface removing swirls and other defects. Glaze hides whats left. Wax protects the surface from contaminants getting into the pain and ruining your hard work. I tend to think of glaze as more for show cars where you will have a very highly finished surface and use the glaze to make it look really glossy but it doesnt offer any protection (typically) so wouldnt want to just use glaze on a daily driver or weekend warrior.

Here you go Steve

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... =17&t=9957

I've nicked this from a detailing site but as you will see its an argumnentable subject. Generally a car that is well prepared polished and waxed really doesnt need a glaze but others believe it adds a deep lustre and shine. You pays your money and you take your choice.

Before I post this I see you've had a reply thats correct this will give you a bit more of an insight.

Cheers Jeff

A glaze is usually an oil/polymer/silicone heavy liquid that is used to give a really deep wet/glossy look. They are great for hiding swirls and other defects, but dont typically offer any protection.

I would guess (having not used a glaze before myself) that it should go polish > glaze > wax. Polish preps the surface removing swirls and other defects. Glaze hides whats left. Wax protects the surface from contaminants getting into the pain and ruining your hard work. I tend to think of glaze as more for show cars where you will have a very highly finished surface and use the glaze to make it look really glossy but it doesnt offer any protection (typically) so wouldnt want to just use glaze on a daily driver or weekend warrior.

Thats how i've always done it and it looks the nuts :thumbs: