Used tyres

Squee

Hi,

Right, this is probably a really bimbo question so apologies, but is there anything particularly bad or wrong with buying part-worn tyres as long as there's decent tread left in them?

The reason I ask is because I was perusing an old thread last night (which annoyingly I can't find again now) where a member appeared horrified at the idea of buying used tyres.

I've done a search and seen reference to Alex selling part-worns so I'm guessing it's ok? they'd be used for road not track.

Reason I ask is that I might be getting some second hand rims at the weekend for a billy bargain price and they allegedly come with decent tyres.

S.

How much do you value your life. :shrug:

Unless I could see the inside of a part worn tyre, I would never buy one, but that's just me :thumbs:

Well yes paul, they obviously need to be part worn..... not part fooked :lol:

How much do you value your life. :shrug:

Unless I could see the inside of a part worn tyre, I would never buy one, but that's just me :thumbs:

You dont know if the used tyres have been involved in an accident and had damage done on the inside,so unless as Zugara said if you cant see inside be wary. :thumbdown:

Thanks all :thumbs: I'm not in the market for buying used tyres per se, just wondering if I can get any use out of the ones that will come with my potential purchase.

I'll definitely be sure to check the innards before getting them on the car. I'm still kinda new to all this stuff and I naively thought that damage would be visible from the outside. Ooops!

If some alloys were in an accident and had been damaged would it be visible?

S.

Thanks all :thumbs: I'm not in the market for buying used tyres per se, just wondering if I can get any use out of the ones that will come with my potential purchase.

I'll definitely be sure to check the innards before getting them on the car. I'm still kinda new to all this stuff and I naively thought that damage would be visible from the outside. Ooops!

If some alloys were in an accident and had been damaged would it be visible?

S.

Hi squee, the only sign's you would see is where the outside rim meets the tyre if you can see cracks then walk away, if there are no tyres on then roll rims on a flat surface to check if they are warped, if in doubt don't buy!! hope this helps and is just a guide!! :thumbs:

Obviously new tyres are preferable but there are some situations where part worns might be considered, especially if the car may be sold on reasonably soon. I can't see a problem with buying part worn tyres - the same argument against them goes for any tyres that are on a used car when you buy it. How many people would replace them just because they don't know their history? Not many I'd wager....

• 2 months later...

Hi,when I bought my 313 from a garage in Norwich, I noticed that there was a bit of a difference in left/right handling,thought it was me at first.I decided the the Avon/Dunlop mix must have been the cause so went to my local ATS in Ely,once the Avon was taken off I was horrified to see the heat that the inner wall had been subjected too and also that a tube patch had been applied to a puncture!! Needless to say,the garage knew absolutely nothing about the repair,which could be possible I suppose.