On car wheel Balancing....?

Beau

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me out.

I have some 22" wheels on my landcruiser recently, and Im getting a terrible vibration through the steering wheel due to the wheels being Unbalanced.

I have taken the wheels back to my tyre guy, but every time he re balances the wheels there is no improvement. Also it is definitely the wheels as my previous set were fine.

I have heard about getting them balanced on the actual car, does anyone know of any places which do this, if so near London area or Milton Keynes, I don't mind travelling a bit.

Any help appreciated! Thanks! :)

Have you got spigot rings fitted to keep the rims centred properly?

No, the wheel doesn't fit over any sort of centre bore, as I am running spacers.

It is 6 stud which apparently does not need a centre bore as there are enough studs available to centralise the wheel. I ran 20" wheels the same way and had no problems.

I am certain that it is the wheel that needs balancing!

It sounds like he's rebalanced multiple times.... Now if that was me I'd maybe think it's not a balancing issue.

I thought it maybe other issues but other older vehicles seem to have the same problem and got it solved by doing an On car wheel balance....

Who on earth said because it has 6 studs that it doesn't need a centre bore for centralising.

Trust me, it's not the wheel balancing. It's the fact the wheels not central. I see this all the time at my wheel place. Wheel bolt and nuts are to hold the wheel on, that's all. If a wheel is less than 1mm out on the bore you will feel it. Try taking the spacers off and have the wheel on the centre hub on the wheels.

I dont understand though, because I was running a set of 20" wheels which were perfectly fine, which were also balanced by my tyre Guy. Im think being 22" the wheels are harder to balance.

And the wheels are in MINT condition, not a scratch on them so definitely no buckle, plus when I had originally had them balanced they were hardly out.

So we're you using the spacers on the other wheels? Only reason I say spigot rings is because every time I've used the slip on spacers it has ended up causing wheel wobble as the spigot rings don't touch the hubs to center them, as said try em without the spacers.....

I used to get the wheels on my capri balanced on the car, so yes it can be done and I did get better results that way.

I think this is how they balance wheels on larger commercial vehicles. It's pretty scary looking, basically a 'sit-on' device with a big fly-wheel underneath which you press up against the wheel to spin it while a gauge displays vibration.

I used to get the wheels on my capri balanced on the car, so yes it can be done and I did get better results that way.

I think this is how they balance wheels on larger commercial vehicles. It's pretty scary looking, basically a 'sit-on' device with a big fly-wheel underneath which you press up against the wheel to spin it while a gauge displays vibration.

where abouts did you get this done, and what did it cost? Would you say it was money well spent? :)

where abouts did you get this done, and what did it cost? Would you say it was money well spent? :)

Before splashing out cash there are others (including one I know works at a tyre place) offering advice that is free, even if you tried out spiggot rings it'll cost you £10 and that's it.

Would it be worth checking out these things before splashing out for MORE balancing?

In general, if the vibrations get worse and worse the faster you go, it is most likely to be a wheel failure (not all are visible) or something like a spacer deformation or any other mechanical problem of the sort. If the vibration goes away at higher speed like in your case, my money would be on something like the hub, a loose nut somewhere or some other minor thing like that.

Your best bet is probably to find a decent garage with a 4wd-friendly rolling road (I'm not too hot on the diff set up in Landcruisers) and figure out which wheel is the offending one. Then do a simple test of swapping that wheel with one on the other side. If the problem moves to the other side of the car, it's got to be the wheel/wheel nuts/spacer. If not, it's going to be something else - much cheaper way of figuring out what is causing the issue.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Firstly I cant try the spigot method as the spacers I have are flush and there are no Lip. I cant run these wheels without spacers due to arms being close, and they are touching inside slightly on full lock.

I think my next move will be to re torque all nuts, then swap some wheels around and see if there is any difference. I am more than sure it is wheels that need balancing as my last set of 20" wheels were put on exactly like this and ran fine.

Thanks for the help guys! Ill let you know how I get on.

I have also done some googleing and found this place called Vibrationsfree who do on car balancing but they want £70 to balance the front wheels....

I think you'll just have to ditch the 22" wheel idea altogether and go back to the 20"s.

I too believe that it is a spigot ring/centre bore issue.

I'm assumimg the 20"s didn't need spacers to fit, thus making the wheel sit central on the hub.

Even with 6 studs, you'll still have a little play, enough to go off centre and cause vibration.

I think you'll just have to ditch the 22" wheel idea altogether and go back to the 20"s.

I too believe that it is a spigot ring/centre bore issue.

I'm assumimg the 20"s didn't need spacers to fit, thus making the wheel sit central on the hub.

Even with 6 studs, you'll still have a little play, enough to go off centre and cause vibration.

When I was running my 20" they were with the same spacers as well, so the only thing I have changed are the wheels. Im going to swap some wheels around and see if that makes any difference.

Ask the guy doing off the car balancing to balance for zero unbalance. Often they leave 20g or so residual unbalance as an acceptable level but on some cars it's still not acceptable. I put up with high speed vibs with 18"BBS on my 300ZXTT for a couple of years thinking it was as good as it could get after balancing a couple of times but when I explained to a tyre guy he said he could balance for zero unbalance. I thought duh! isn't that what you do anyway and it turns out no. Balanced for zero and my 300ZXTT is smooth as silk at any speed. I always ask this now.

Ask the guy doing off the car balancing to balance for zero unbalance. Often they leave 20g or so residual unbalance as an acceptable level but on some cars it's still not acceptable. I put up with high speed vibs with 18"BBS on my 300ZXTT for a couple of years thinking it was as good as it could get after balancing a couple of times but when I explained to a tyre guy he said he could balance for zero unbalance. I thought duh! isn't that what you do anyway and it turns out no. Balanced for zero and my 300ZXTT is smooth as silk at any speed. I always ask this now.

Yeh, I get my tyre guy to balance to at least 5g. :)