What accelerator pedal for heel and toe

Shinjuku

The length of the accelerator pedal on the zed means that my efforts to heel and toe often turn out to be more ball of foot (which is right I guess) and side of foot just in front of heel. Because of this I also find I need to turn my foot slightly more than I would like.

So im considering replacing the accelerator pedal. However im not sure which to get and even if its possible to change the pedal - would a longer pedal bind on the floor or mean I cant get full throttle opening?

So, if one of the more experienced track folk could advise on whether there is a particular pedal that works well that would be great.

Cheers

Shinjuku

Nismo pedal is great, but its not any longer than standard IIRC. It has a extension over the standard pedal that protrudes towards the brake pedal at the bottom left of the accelerator pedal.

I too found that heel/toe was actually more like ball of foot/side of foot, but it works well, you soon get used to it. :thumbs:

Heel/toeing doesn't mean you have to use those parts of the foot, it's just an easier way of describing the motion rather than using left hand ball of foot to right hand ball of foot.

Depending on the vehicle I use both techniques, really does just depend how the pedals are set up. In a Caterham I'd roll the ball across, but in the SV chassis of the same car I'd have to pivot and use the heel/toe due to the different pedal box. :)

But yes, the Nismo pedal is a must-have really on the Zed, I had one in mine and loved it.

Fifty quid is quite a lot if its the same size pedal. I suppose the bit on the left would be good in the sense that it would mean I did not have to stretch as far round.

Chris can you put up a link to the item.

Yankee any chance of a picture of your handywork

Fifty quid is quite a lot if its the same size pedal. I suppose the bit on the left would be good in the sense that it would mean I did not have to stretch as far round.

Free but effective.

th_Printer020.jpg

th_Printer025.jpg

;)

Free but effective.

th_Printer020.jpg

th_Printer025.jpg

;)

Looks well funny on my IPhone, I thought it was a piece of toast :lol:

10/10 for effort

That looks deadly/dangerous!

No problems with it so far. Actually the extension is bent slightly down towards the floor so that even with the brake pedal pressed fully on, it's not possible to accidently accelerate the engine if my foot was half on the brake pedal. To get the "blip" on downshifts, I just rotate my foot over quickly. It took some practice at first but seems to work fine now. :)

Isn't there some bit in the MOT test that says how far apart the accelerator and brake pedals have to be, which is why the Nismo one only curves round at the base?

Good point. It passed the MOT in Sept.2011 and it was fitted then but I will call in and ask the garage about it when I pass by next time.

To be fair, any garage that is going to look at that and use it as an excuse to fail it for an MOT isn't one I'd use for MOTs in the first place! :lol:

It does look a bit agricultural, but as long as it works for you then that's all that really matters.

To be fair, any garage that is going to look at that and use it as an excuse to fail it for an MOT isn't one I'd use for MOTs in the first place! :lol:

It does look a bit agricultural, but as long as it works for you then that's all that really matters.

+1. Get some silver paint onto it and make it blend in more. Love a bit car DIY and seeIng it actually work.

what happened to this thread :lol:

Going to try and fit my RS pedal and see if I can get my heel toe feel back. Think though it's more due to me sitting closer up to the pedals making it more akward, doing that to get more steering control and feel. Might have to go back to the lean down setup ;)