Sound insulation - noisey neighbours

neo-ninja

Hi All,

I remember reading a post on here about someone who had some noisey neighbours so looked into sound insulation, but i cant find it.

I have seen a few things, really its not so much our neighbours being noisey its more that the walls are made of paper painted to look like brick i think! (it must be the same for them)

So ideally im looking for a cheap but easy and practicle solution to sound proof our bedroom so that if we go to bed early we dont have to listen to thier tv etc..

I have found a few things ranging from a plaster board type stuff that you screw ontop the wall and then lining paper over, to some latex sheeting. But i cant find anywhere online honest reviews / comments on how effective it is.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

you need mass and separation ie the material you use must be fairly heavy and dense to stop air-born sound + seal around all the edges, and then (this is the difficult bit) try and avoid connecting it to the existing wall - the more fixings you use the more direct impact sound will transfer.

The key is to get the small details right around all four edges - foam strips, silicone etc - all manufacturers will have details for their products

I don't honestly think that anyone has effectively managed to do this in a normal house or flat set up, many try but few get it done.

Sound waves are difficult to control causing vibration travelling in all sorts of mannner not neccesarily in a direct line but bouncing around like a rubber ball.

Any way I wish you luck and let us know if you manage to do it.

Cheers :thumbs:

I think the thread you were talking about may have been posted by me, although it was the other way around - I was the noisy neighbour (well alledgedly), searching for posts by me with noise in may help find it. I haven't found a solution other than not to listen to anything even on the quietest setting past midnight... I even got a noise complaint while I was away in Greece and one when I was asleep in bed (and had to be up at 5am :rant: ) though, so I think I have mental neighbours rather than me being noisy! :lol:

Reminds me of one house I used to rent. Me and the missus at time were err... quite active in the bedroom. (sigh... how things have changed). And I never thought anything about the noise. Until one day I was sitting in bed quietly reading a book and I could actually hear my neighbours having a normal conversation in their bedroom through the wall. I then realised the walls were paper thin. Embarrassing wasn't the word. However, it did explain why the neighbours wife used to always look at me "knowingly" with a twinkle in her eye.

Since then when ive had problems with noisy neighbours, I find playing Slayer at high volumes seems to quieten them down a bit.

lol thanks for all the comments. Sadly its not that they are noisey the noise level is perfectly acceptable but the walls are so thin you can hear everything.

I had been looking at a few options here was one i thought that seemed quite interesting.

http://www.ikoustic.co.uk/Silent_Board/ ... 96816.aspx

it implies you just screw it on then wall paper over with lniing paper.

lol thanks for all the comments. Sadly its not that they are noisey the noise level is perfectly acceptable but the walls are so thin you can hear everything.

I had been looking at a few options here was one i thought that seemed quite interesting.

I'd consider that if I could work out the price! It says £47 per single but also mentions "50 pieces per pallet" - if that's £47 per 1.2m square that's bloody expesnive to do a room/flat/house!

I'd consider that if I could work out the price! It says £47 per single but also mentions "50 pieces per pallet" - if that's £47 per 1.2m square that's bloody expesnive to do a room/flat/house!

Well, they do say silence is golden.....