Warped dba's *Updated* - may not be discs afterall

Roo

Just had a call of Noble Motorsport my 10 month old dba's are warped .

And before anyone asks yes runout was checked on fitting and bedding process properly followed.

* op amended as i thought they were fitted in August at service but have checked it and found receipt for April.

**Update dba have been very helpful and want to figure out if its a fault in the disc or dtv due to faulty fitting. They say that discs warping is not something they really see so want to talk to garage/inspect discs to check what has caused the fault and if its the discs or something else. Thanks to cs for prompt responses! ( and alex ...even tho he didnt sell me them!) :thumbs:

***Update

Well what can I say A1 service from all involved.

Mitesh at cougar store straight in and helpful to resolve this as quickly as possible

Ewen at Clark has handled it brilliantly with minimal fuss - Spoke Noble who filled them in on their findings and He agrees based on what he has heard with no sign of any hub flange issues and not tracked the car it may well be I am the unlucky one in a million. Clark assure me this is is a incredibly rare occurance but in good faith are offering to give me a new set at no cost on condition I monitor the issue and report back after bedding in to confirm everything is ok. :)

So big thanks to all - I really didn’t expect this level of service, you get so used to people just trying to fob you off its fantastic to see some companies still value their customers and reputation! :thumbs:

Updated - see last post may nto be discs afterall that! :shrug:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had warped DBA's too, but I don't think it was the discs. I'd had warped EBC 3000 miles before that and the pair before were warped as well. I think there's an underlying problem in some 350'z enginieering that can make them suffer from this.

I took mine to a Nissan deaership that works on GTR's and they diagnosed a hub flange distortion. I was going to get a second opinion but managed to write my car off before anything was confirmed. (still gutted! :byebye: )

All I'm saying is make sure they check everything with a fine tooth comb as it's an expesnive recurring problem to have.

DBA should replace your rotors under warranty :thumbs:

If you bought them from me, then just let me have the details and I will sort this for you :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Wasnt through you Alex but thanks for your concern! :thumbs:

Noble are just going to reface them for £35 so just going to go down that route rather than wait around with the car with no brakes.

I had warped DBA's too, but I don't think it was the discs. I'd had warped EBC 3000 miles before that and the pair before were warped as well. I think there's an underlying problem in some 350'z enginieering that can make them suffer from this.

I took mine to a Nissan deaership that works on GTR's and they diagnosed a hub flange distortion. I was going to get a second opinion but managed to write my car off before anything was confirmed. (still gutted! :byebye: )

All I'm saying is make sure they check everything with a fine tooth comb as it's an expesnive recurring problem to have.

Previous discs were fine so Im hoping not. ill see how this goes :thumbs:

Did you drive these hard? What pads did you use? What model of dba's?

lucky that you can get it sorted for 35£

dba4000xs iirc, Cosworth SM pads and no trackdays or such. Im a pretty sensible driver mostly.

CS have been in touch with dba and they would like to see them but it will mean being zed-less for a while. And if it turns out fitting was shoddy ill still be forking out for disks. :surrender:

Did you drive these hard? What pads did you use? What model of dba's?

lucky that you can get it sorted for 35£

dba4000xs iirc, Cosworth SM pads and no trackdays or such. Im a pretty sensible driver mostly.

CS have been in touch with dba and they would like to see them but it will mean being zed-less for a while. And if it turns out fitting was shoddy ill still be forking out for disks. :surrender:

who fitted them? no trackdays and sensible driving warping discs :scare:

Very much doubt without driving them hard you managed to warp them. Sure its not DTV?

Although one stop HARD when cold can kill discs I've been informed in the past. Like stopping from crusing on the motorway to a standstill very quickly if the discs arent warm.

what does the pads look like? you sure these aren't just glazed?

Shouldnt be - slotted discs and Noble have actually checked the runout and the hubs for any deformation or signs of anythign else that could cause upset.

I paid extra to have runout checked on fitting and everything cleaned up properly to prevent this from happening.... or so i thought. I just need to make the decision as to do I send em back and ask the garage nicely to sit on the car for a couple of weeks or just get them re-faced :headhurt:

what does the pads look like? you sure these aren't just glazed?

Shouldnt be - slotted discs and Noble have actually checked the runout and the hubs for any deformation or signs of anythign else that could cause upset.

I paid extra to have runout checked on fitting and everything cleaned up properly to prevent this from happening.... or so i thought. I just need to make the decision as to do I send em back and ask the garage nicely to sit on the car for a couple of weeks or just get them re-faced :headhurt:

leave the car there and send the discs off, that's what I would do. my guess is that the warranty will be voided if you re-face them? If the garage want it sitting there that is... it shouldn't be a couple of weeks surely? Or do they go off to Aussie land? Will be watching this closely since I was thinking on getting dba's all four corners for my next swap...

I think there's an underlying problem in some 350'z enginieering that can make them suffer from this.

Basically the 350Z has no cold air ducting to the front discs from either the front bumper or from underneath. Odd decision because it's a heavy car and even a Nissan Almera has ducting to the front discs. Maybe have been aerodynamic reasons.

A couple of stops from motorway speeds are all it takes to get the discs and fluid piping hot.

I think there's an underlying problem in some 350'z enginieering that can make them suffer from this.

Basically the 350Z has no cold air ducting to the front discs from either the front bumper or from underneath. Odd decision because it's a heavy car and even a Nissan Almera has ducting to the front discs. Maybe have been aerodynamic reasons.

A couple of stops from motorway speeds are all it takes to get the discs and fluid piping hot.

Maybe 'hot' but with uprated discs, pads and fluid as Roo had even repeated hard road use should still not cause 'warping'.

Personally I would be getting a second opinion if any garage said my discs were warped when it hadn't been tracked and such a set up had been fitted :)

Just had a chat with Ewen and Clark (dba's UK HQ). CS put me in touch. He confirmed this is a very rare occurance so dont all go panicing out there! I bought dba's because of the reputation.

Hes going to speak to Noble in the morning and try and work out whats gone off/ what to do. Noble have no invested interest in saying either way (they didnt fit them and were not trying to sell me new discs) so hopefully they can sort it out without me having to go through un-necessary pain!

All I can say is so far all involved have been very helpful.

Hopefull this will continue and we will get to the bottom of whats caused them to go so early. It may be I was just unlucky and got the friday specials! :lol:

If that was the cause I would have expected my previous standard discs to have warped - they didnt though... :blackeye: I uprated the discs and pads for safty - I never skimp on the stuff that stops you in an emergency brakes and tyres are not a place to cut corners!!

Vibration through steering wheel when brakes applied was what alerted me something was wrong. I wasnt sure of cause but thought id take it to a different garage to check it.

ho hum it happens! Just dont want to be zedless for to long

Plus i was hoping to get it bodyshop later this month for some touch ups. Darn ..

Vibration through steering wheel when brakes applied was what alerted me something was wrong. I wasnt sure of cause but thought id take it to a different garage to check it.

ho hum it happens! Just dont want to be zedless for to long

Plus i was hoping to get it bodyshop later this month for some touch ups. Darn ..

painful, so plan is to send it off to DBA now? (in the UK). Shouldn't be to long before you get her back on the road, do you not have the old discs somewhere? (and pads?)

Clark are going to speak to Noble in the morning and get info first hand.

Im hoping as Noble have no invested interest they can give the dba rep all the info and let me know if they will replace free of charge or if they dont think its covered (id want to know reasons) without being car less for too long.

Worst case is they want to see them themselves and then decide its not a disc flaw. unfortunatly i have no spare discs .. damn.

Clark are going to speak to Noble in the morning and get info first hand.

Im hoping as Noble have no invested interest they can give the dba rep all the info and let me know if they will replace free of charge or if they dont think its covered (id want to know reasons) without being car less for too long.

Worst case is they want to see them themselves and then decide its not a disc flaw. unfortunatly i have no spare discs .. damn.

maybe someone on here has a spare set of discs and pads? I've got pads but no discs... actually got discs if I get round to fit my new fronts :dance: postage will cost you a bit though ;)

Just had a call of Noble Motorsport my 6 month old dba's are warped .

Just to clear this for any readers. Have dug out my reciept for fitting and they were actually fitted in April :blush: i dont want to mis lead anyone.

So actually been on the car 10 months (still well within waranty and they have only done a few thousand miles )so i have amended the op.

Discs only warp by getting too hot. I've had OEM discs go wobbly on several cars but always return to normal when cooled down. The only set that didn't were aftermarket (EBC).

You could have stuck pistons in the Brembo's but that's unlikely.