Anyone on here Airsoft?

garetgax

Yup, have been airsofting for the last 5 or so years. It's my chance to play soldiers without having to use crappy waterguns over the park... or at the other end of the scale have to play with real bullets :scare:

It's such an awesome sport to play, I find it much more immersive and fun than paintball (plus it hurts less and pellets are cheaper!). It's great fun, and the community in general is very friendly and helpful. Not to mention you get to run around the woods shooting them with AK47s and M16s and Desert Eagles and the like!

If you really are thinking about taking it seriously, then I've broken down all the things you need to know before getting your own kit!

LEGALITY:

Before you can BUY your own gun you must be over 18 (which I'm assuming you are.. haha) but you also have to be able to prove in a court of law that you are a 'regular player'. It is illegal to BUY (but not OWN) an airsoft gun if you cannot fulfil those criteria. You can be gifted them, regardless of age or playing status, the law related to buying the weapons.

To my knowledge there has been no case law of any offences relating to the purchase of airsoft guns under the new legislation (Violent Crime Reduction Act), so as of yet no one actually knows for certain how to 'prove' you are a regular skirmisher. There is also no definition of what would be considered 'regular' playing. But the way most people use is to sign up and get a UKARA membership. UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association) was set up by retailers and site owners as a membership scheme for players. To earn your membership, fill out the form at your local site, and then you must play THREE games in NO LESS than 2 weeks. They will then grant you UKARA membership. Most retailers in the UK will only sell guns to UKARA members.

UKARA is not the only way of purchasing a gun. As I said, the seller only needs to be satisfied that you are over 18 and a regular player. (To try and stop kids/maniacs buying replica weapons and holding up banks every week). How you go about proving you are a regular player is up to you, but getting UKARA is by far the easiest, and most probably safest way, seeing as most people in the community use it as their 'defence' that would be relied on in court.

Buying camo outfits, vests, holsters, helmets and all the other gear is perfectly legal for anyone to buy.

COST:

Getting your own airsoft kit can be expensive, but doesn't have to be. A decent set of brown or green old clothes will do you fine, and some sturdy walking or builder's boots are needed. Surplus camo uniform can be had pretty cheaply if you want to look a bit more serious, and if your pockets aren't good enough then a cheap tactical vest would be about £30. Budgeting £150 would get you a very decent set of kit. Boots and eye protection are the most vital though. You CAN play in your t shirt and jeans, but you will be easy to spot and won't look the part, haha!

Guns aren't even that expensive anymore. Chinese clone guns (e.g. Jing gong, CYMA, Dboys) are vastly better than they used to be, and second hand ones can be had for around £150. You'll usually get a couple of magazines and a battery in second hand sales too.

The cost ultimately depends on how much you want, and how good quality, and how realistic you want your look to be. It's up to you where you go with it :)

Any questions I'm happy to help, I love airsoft and can talk for days about it! PM me if you like, or of course post in here, I remember there being one or two other players on here. Also, try out www.zeroin.co.uk one of the biggest communities in the UK. Just make sure you read the rules before you post, or you'll be in for a ribbing :p

Thats much appreciated. I went with a couple of friends who have lent me a bit of kit plus some of what I had when Ive paintballed in the past. Im just waiting for my next 2 times to get my ukara. Ive been lent a ICS cqb m4 and that is probably what I will try and get on the second hand market. Taking a trip to our local army surplus store next week as I want some flecktarn camo gear and a vest.

I used my work boots and there worked fine etc. Loved yesterday and did quite well killed a lot more people than killed me and we won 3 out of 5 missons so all good. Going an a weekender on the march 4th.

I used to do airsofting quite a lot but haven't done it for about year now. If you want a good reliable gun I would go for tokyo marui as they seem to last a long time compared to others. I own a classic army aug which is ok but I have a lot of problems with it breaking, also own a m911 tokyo marui gas pistol which is preety awsome. Might start going again when warms a bit in summer time B) .

[o how do you know you've "scored" a "kill" ?? ] its an honesty game. Had afew issues in our last game with peeps not admitting to being hit there are marshalls as well though.

Exactly that :) You have to be honest about being 'hit'. Most people are generally good with it, because when you are killed you go back to a respawn point where you can rejoin the game. So there isn't much incentive to cheat really. Also on a lot of occasions if you get laced up by a burst of full auto, it's uncomfortable enough that you WANT it to stop so you call yourself out! :lol: Marshalling at sites is very good these days too, and very intolerant of anybody found cheating!

As for the OP, flecktarn is awesome! Personally I think you should do the full Bundeswehr loadout and get a nice Classic Army G36!

Hahah, I do have a G36. It's the K version. Shorter and more usable than the standard rifle, I don't like the C version personally but that is generally the most favoured as it has a rail for mounting optics. Armed police love it. Afraid I'm not looking to sell though, I do love my collection and the G36 is a cracking performer. Plenty of G36s out there though!

5609_1199288590123_1465776534_30530775_8367479_n.jpg

Dont worry i wasnt fishing:p and yeah I am after a normal version so i can mount a holo sight on it. Think ive found one on my local site forum. Im hoping the owner is going to the next event Im attending.

Heres the link to the day if anyone on here is interested. Ill be on the russian/euro side which despite it not having any names down yet does actually have quite a few going.

http://www.phoenix-airsoft.co.uk/forum/ ... 86&t=11551

Do I see the back end of a RPG in that pic?

Bit of a late reply, sorry mate, but yes it's my RPG :)

It's really a showpiece, scares the s*** out of newbies at games, but it's basically a glorified moscart launcher, and a pretty poor one at that. Because the rocket 'shell' houses the moscarts, there's a tiny hole at the tip of the rocket, so all the bbs fly out of the moscart, bounce around inside the shell and sort of dribble out of the end. 10m if you're lucky!

However, with the moscarts designed for paintball it works very well. Their bore size is the same as the hole at the end of the rocket, so paintballs come FLYING out and go about 50m. You can get SO much gas in the paintball moscarts!

5609_1199288550122_1465776534_30530774_5256374_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

So a quick update on my loadouts now. Ive now got a G36c gen3 gearbox with a reflex sight,red laser and torch for CQB and a magpul masada with acog/mini doctor sight with various accessories for woodland/combined sites. Just looking for a decent gas pistol and plate holster to compliment the G36 for CQB. Played a few sites now and found a site we all like so thatll be our main site I think moving forwards.

Did have a SA80 A2 but tbh it was too heavy for use all day (nearly 5kg)

Both guns are on deans with 7.4 2200mah lipos which fit both guns.

Our small unit is saving for some decent radios and throat mics between us. Will be looking to get some decent black swat load out for cqb but I think at the moment if I spend anymore on airsoft might get into serous bother with the better half. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been into airsoft for the last few months and spent £££'s on gear lol. It's addictive.

Like you, I went for the G36C and spent more on the accessories than I did on the gun but it did end up looking like this...

2e3f7acf.jpg

I used to paintball a bit and looked into airsoft.

I looked on the forum of the place i was thinking of going and it seems that the average player had about 10 years of service behind them. that kinda put me off a bit but i'd still like to give it a go some day. i got a fully auto mauri 18c with all the trimmings which i used to fill with paintball BBs lying about somewhere. - that was quite an effective - OH SH1T sidearm :D