Just curious

Guest prescience

Guest prescience

Do you think this site is a) cliquey B) intimidating to post on I mean compared to other sites you contribute to.

Having been both sides of the fence on this site so to speak, I think it suffers from its moments but other than the OC I don't have that much to draw against.

As the title says, curious to know

I think you already know my views Dorian. Both sites can at times be spoiled by a minority of idiots, which I'm sure happens on most site. The OC issue is that some of these idiots are moderators. This is what makes the OC cliquey.

Also, the problem with forums with a limited number of members is that one person can make a big impact too easily.

Over here I personally fell I can say what I want, withing sensible limits of course.

Guest prescience
So whats your comparison to the OC

I'm not getting at you but could I PLEASE ask that his not become a site wars thread - that was not my intention. To frame your views sure, but not beyond that :thumbs:

Kev I know your scoop Dude, Im curious what Dorian thinks, not baiting by the way

OK, no probs. I've said my thing on the OC so will shut up.

What I will say is most forums welcome you, and problems are a rare thing. I use a Windsurfing forum and BMW forum and have had no issues what so ever.

Sorry Dude hadn't realised you had posted inbetween.

I think the key is people should help newbies, meet more and chill out a bit more, if you have an issue, either talk it out on PM, request help, or take it outside like real men

A forums for life not just for Christmas

So whats your comparison to the OC

I'm not getting at you but could I PLEASE ask that his not become a site wars thread - that was not my intention. To frame your views sure, but not beyond that :thumbs:

No problem, and not my intention, but you have asked a leading question, therefore was just asking for your own answer, general, oc vs uk, or this forum focused, don't really care, was just interested in your opnion. But of course you don't have to answer and I am not trying to degenerated the post into a slanging match

Well I look at the OC and post occasionally. There are more members from my area over there but I prefer the banter over here. The mods and admin team are helpful and have as much crap to post as the rest of us. There is a lot of knowledge on here and I don't think it's cliquey or too intimidating. I joined a lot later than some and must say I was welcomed.

Do you think this site is a) cliquey B) intimidating to post on I mean compared to other sites you contribute to.

Having been both sides of the fence on this site so to speak, I think it suffers from its moments but other than the OC I don't have that much to draw against.

As the title says, curious to know

I think that its a natural social occurance for cliquey groups to form. Anyone who has been watching Celebrity BB (:ninja:) will have seen this first hand. Its natural for people to be drawn to people with similar ideas or views.

Any kind of forum will have its regular posters ( :blush: ) who spend a lost of time there. The level of cliquey-ness should, IMO, be measured at the willingness to accept new people into the group. Not once have I seen anybody flame a newbie on here. We usually welcome all newbies with open arms.

What makes this forum less cliquey than others is that you can ask totally dumb questions and it'll get answered (usually) without much teasing.

As all members here are of an equal standing its hard for an us and them situation to arise, which IMO is good for the site :thumbs:

Thats my 2p.....

Its great to read posts like this - in fact without them, we wouldnt know what to do to improve things.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but if people feel that during this thread they realise something is missing from our site, or feel something could be improved, share it - you'll probably find that lots of people feel the same way, but nobody has mentioned it.

Ive actually met quite a lot of very nice people due to this forum, and hope I can refer to many of them as friends now too - which is great.

this is the second forum I joined, the first being the old one before the split. I think we are all pretty equal here and I do by best to keep it that way. I like Chris would call many members friends and long may it continue to do so.

I have been on a couple of other forums recently and certainly think this one is the most helpful. Many members are here to offer help and support. :thumbs:

I personnally don't feel this site to be intimidating to post on, although I have been around a while now.

I first found this site through google when I needed some tyres, I checked out some of the postings and liked the look of it so joined up and posted my query. It was answered willingly by members and I felt I was warmly welcomed, which is why I've stuck around. I enjoy the banter and don't feel the site to be cliquey, but again as I've been around a while am probably not best placed to comment.

I've been to a couple of meets and the members I have met have been throughly likeable down to earth people and I like to consider them friends.

This was the first forum I registered on (tbh haven't really registered on others apart from to see some interesting posts) and I hadn't had any experience of owners clubs or such like before but certainly didn't feel intimidated with my first post.

This is probably the best & most friendly forum im a member of. A lot of other sites have a them & us attitude. One site I was a member of, people used to ignore your posts until you were over a thousand posts. I enjoy the banter here that you dont get with other clubs, My post count here is over double what it was at the Seat sites I use :teeth:

I found this site typing '350z forum' into Google. Might have even found the OC first but it wanted either a more complex joining set-up / money up front (I can't remember for certain before anyone shoots!) and I simply joined this one. TBH, I don't know if I've even ever looked at the OC forum, as I find this place has all I need. No idea what the issue is between the two warring factions......!!

As for friendliness, I think this place was great. I think fairly early on Sarnie started taking the mick in a good natured way and it all helps relax the way new people feel. I do think that more of the experienced guys could chip in with their welcomes of new members, but it's nothing major. And I know I miss some too.

Agree that all questions are answered nicely, occassionally threads get ruined with what could be called cliquey spam but that's part of forums. I'm a member of another modified car site and they're initially welcoming but then it dies away and you can be left a little bit on the outside.

I love this place, it's a service, a laugh and has some great people too. :thumbs:

I dont think this forum suffers from being Cliquey or them & us type attitude. It is almost always a very friendly, informative & ligt hearted place to be on the net. Yes sometimes things get a little argumentitve & heated but I think we'r all mature enough to realise that on "The" Grand stage of Life, arguing over the merits of a mettalic wheel is insignificant.

But its not like this on all forums/msg boards/sites across the www, I have seen different from back in the days when I used to mod a VW Bettle Cal look style to German die hard BMW forums :wacko:

IMO this is due to the number of members a forum has & whether there are membership catergories.

If there are are hundreds of thousands of members then obviously the cliquiness will not be harder to create. Also if you create different membership statuses, i.e you have a paid up group & a non paying group this inevitabley leads to natural divide & hence them & us. Though not neccesarily intentional on eithers part, its just how things will eventually fall. IMO it would be better to have either a free for all forum or an only fully paid membership forum to reduce forming groups within a group.

Finally the one good thing we all have in common on all such forums is that we'r all passionate about cars! :D:thumbs:

I dont think this forum suffers from being Cliquey or them & us type attitude. It is almost always a very friendly, informative & ligt hearted place to be on the net. Yes sometimes things get a little argumentitve & heated but I think we'r all mature enough to realise that on "The" Grand stage of Life, arguing over the merits of a mettalic wheel is insignificant.

But its not like this on all forums/msg boards/sites across the www, I have seen different from back in the days when I used to mod a VW Bettle Cal look style to German die hard BMW forums :wacko:

IMO this is due to the number of members a forum has & whether there are membership catergories.

If there are are hundreds of thousands of members then obviously the cliquiness will not be harder to create. Also if you create different membership statuses, i.e you have a paid up group & a non paying group this inevitabley leads to natural divide & hence them & us. Though not neccesarily intentional on eithers part, its just how things will eventually fall. IMO it would be better to have either a free for all forum or an only fully paid membership forum to reduce forming groups within a group.

Finally the one good thing we all have in common on all such forums is that we'r all passionate about cars! :D:thumbs:

I very much agree with Ricky. :thumbs:

I love this place even if I don't agree with everyone's views. The banter is light hearted and it lacks the overzealous moderation on other sites. One noticeable thing is that newbies don't get flamed for asking the "old" questions and if they are reminded of the search function its in a light hearted way - not the case on other forums. Hopefully it means this isn't an intimidating place for new folk.

I used to post on www.mini2.com which was also a pretty pleasant place to be but a bit more cliquey. I suspect that any forum where there are a hardcore of regulars could appear cliquey at first but its how those regulars interact with others that matters and I'd say we're a pretty friendly bunch.

No complaints. :teeth:

I think that this place is great, with great people and very accepting of others views more than just "our cars better than everything else"

I use the OC and think it is heavy against certain things which I do not need to go into as will not help this thread.

However, I find both other clubs I belong too, the Lotus club (LoT) and the Caterham club (blatchat) just as friendly and as helpful as here, possibly a little more knowledgeable on the caterham one as they have people into the same car for 20-30 years and are well willing to help out.

For the lotus boys they are typically with 200-300 trackdays under their belt and can be hyper competitive but always want to help out with driving advice.

The big difference with those clubs are people have been around for ages and do not have an agenda. Newer clubs tend to have people that have a “causeâ€