Any sensible price gate installers in Derbyshire?

Chesterfield

Well, its taken about a year on and off to finally receive a quote from a gate installer.

One company came, measured, never quoted,

Another I told that story to, made an appointment and then never turned up.

The next one who I told that story to, turned up, measured, spent two hours going through brochures of gate designs etc, and then never bothered sending a quote.

The fourth one tunred up, measured, and has quoted.... without going into detail, I think the quote to be a complete joke. £8600 for two pillars and metal gates spanning just 3.6m with associated automation. There is power already installed to the gate location.

Does anyone know of any companies that can do this job without actually trying to take the p*ss?

I had a similar problem a few years back. One guy who clearly didn't want to bother just let me know that it would be very expensive, the inference being that I might not be able to afford it. Somehow he could tell this over the phone...

In the end I did what I usually do and did it myself. Not an option for everyone clearly, nor the fainthearted, but I've seen a lot of work by 'professionals' over the years, whether builders or mechanics for example, and it rarely fills me with confidence. We gave our access number to the postie for parcels etc, and he told us that a couple of others in the village had automated gates and were forever having guys back to sort them out, there's only one reason for that, shoddy installation.

I don't know what type of system you are planning, but if you can get your control box in a garage or other protected area it would be an advantage. You say you have power at the gates which is needed to run the motors but the control box can go at either end of the supply. Most installers will fit it outside at the gates for ease of installation, but you will find that in the colder weather, because of the heat sink, you get all manner of creepy crawlies filling it up through the vents, eventually causing problems. Also, if you are going for a decent underground system (which I would hope, given your quote :wacko: ) they need to install sufficient drainage to a soakaway or existing drain. I was fortunate that my main drain ran down the middle of my drive with a manhole at the gates. I just re-built the manhole incorporating my new drain with a trap to avoid any smells coming up through the motor boxes.

Anyway, best of luck with it, they are a joy when they are up and running.

The breakdown also shows that a GSM intercom would be £899 + VAT. The keypad would be another £125 + VAT. So £1025 +VAT in all.

Given that it is entirely possible to get keypad/GSM modules for £470 +VAT (clicky), then my thoughts are that somebody is trying to have my pants down quoting £1025+VAT for the same, installed or not. :shrug:

Looks like Ill be doing some of it myself, and just getting the bits done that I need the pros for, i.e. brickies etc and fabrication of gates. If businesses just provided realistic prices they may be a little more successful. :shrug:

How do those GSM ones work? Do you need a SIM card and associated bundled calls/credit for the gate to call your phone? Surely if you dont have a second one in teh house and it calls your mobile, its a bit useless if you're out the house and the missus is in but cant tell anyone is at the gate? Surely they'd be better off using WiFi, or even Ethernet over powerline to get the signal into the house and to a handset?

You do like your toys Chris B):lol:

It will call phones in order. No answer at the house, it switches to calling the mobile. Then the person at the gate can be let in (ie to deliver stuff when we arent at home), then with the exit loop they will be let out again when they drive up to it.

Im just eventually getting round to a bit of security, and also want something to prevent the little man from wandering off round the garden and out of the gate etc when he gets to that age.

see, it wasnt just a simple gates and pillar construction :lol:

I think you should install a HD widescreen monitor into one of the pillars and you could could give the awaiting person a list of movies to select and play while waiting for the gates to open, you could submerge speaker around the car waiting area for the surround sound too :lol:

To be fair, even if I strip out everything including the pillars, they want £3995+VAT for the gates and motors alone. Which given an underground set of motors with remotes and access pad etc can be had for £860, still leaves over £3000 +VAT just for the metal gates alone. Thats just bonkers.

You're right, three grand for metal gates is rubbish. I only paid two for a bespoke pair in oak. Not sure if you have allowed for everything in your £860 though. For example, if you're looking at the Came frog system a pair of motors and galvanised foundation boxes is likely to be around £650 before you start adding your comms, photocells, control panals etc.

Of course that doesn't take away from the fact that they are trying to shaft you. They see it as a rich tax, if you can afford such luxury's, then you can afford to pay over the odds for it. Whilst they are not desperate for work they will load their quotes. When they are desperate they'll cut corners to claw some back.

Allegedly... :teeth:

You're right, three grand for metal gates is rubbish. I only paid two for a bespoke pair in oak. Not sure if you have allowed for everything in your £860 though. For example, if you're looking at the Came frog system a pair of motors and galvanised foundation boxes is likely to be around £650 before you start adding your comms, photocells, control panals etc.

Of course that doesn't take away from the fact that they are trying to shaft you. They see it as a rich tax, if you can afford such luxury's, then you can afford to pay over the odds for it. Whilst they are not desperate for work they will load their quotes. When they are desperate they'll cut corners to claw some back.

Allegedly... :teeth:

The £860 was for the motor units with photo cells, control panel, remotes etc (clicky). Their quote was £4800 in vat for the gates and equivalent motor units.

The full quote was as follows:

Pair of metal gates total span 3.6m height 2m inc automation: £3997.23 + Vat

Wireless intercom £500 +VAT, or GSM intercom £899 +Vat

Keypad: £125 +Vat

Exit loop: £400 +vat

Letterbox built into pillars: £300 +vat

Brick built pillars inc caps: £995 +vat

Galvanised steel inserts for pillars, including footings (600m cubed): £450 +vat

So with the gsm version of the intercom, its £8599.48 including the vat.

Go for just a standard wireless and its a much more respectable £8120.68.

God knows what they would have quoted if power wasnt already available at the end of the drive (aprox 120ft away). :surrender:

Suppose my search continues for a company prepared to provide realistic prices and not try to pull the wool over my eyes. :thumbdown:

I have just built two pillars, 8 feet high by 1.1/2 feet square. The bricks i used to match were not cheap, even though, nothing like the costs you have got Chris.

Bricks, Cement, Sand, Ballast, 2 Sand Stone Pier Caps, I used scaffold poles as reinforcing inserts in the pillars.

Cost of materials was around £550 including foundations, no labour costs. The cost of the brick you use will be the biggest cost difference.

Hope you find a company to give you a fair price for the work.