Boot lid problem

mrobinson2

I did a search and couldnt find what i was after.

I have to press the button twice on the bootlid to open it! Not a problem normally, but with hands full of luggage/shopping/golf bag it's becomming a pain.

Is there anyway of adjusting the mechanism or something so that it opens with one click again?

thanks.

Hi mate,

Its probably the gas boot struts that need regassing, so the boot isnt popping up as it should when you press the boot release button.

Theres a company called SGS that can regas them for a fraction of new gas struts.

Give them a forum seach bud. :thumbs:

Also check that one of the release springs isn't bent (Black thing halfway up each side on the lid). this happened to mine, dealer suggested the bootlid had "alignment issues", £50-80 to adjust, i baulked at that, thought i would try the coin trick but then noticed one of the springs was bent. Got replacement from :pmzmanalex:

Dealer also said that the 370's do this by design, not sure if a 370 owner can enlighten but enough of a pain in the butt to be a potential dealbreaker when considering poss. upgrade

Just received an email back from SGS...

"Thank you for your enquiry. New struts are available at a cost of £65.76 for the pair delivered (£24.75 per strut plus £5.30 carriage and VAT), are covered by a two year guarantee and are available on next day delivery.

Some struts can be re-gassed depending on their condition so a visual inspection by us must be made in order to assess your struts, which is free of charge. If you try a re-gas and it fails within the warranty period we will discount the cost of the re-gas from new gas struts purchased from SGS Engineering. A re-gas is £33.96 delivered for the pair (£11.50 per strut plus £5.30 carriage and VAT) and struts are usually turned around within three working days. Payment can be made via credit/debit card and you will be contacted for payment once your struts have been tested."

Mine pops fine, but it's not 12 months old yet. So if you remember to ask in 5 or 6 years I'll let you know.

thanks for putting my mind to rest :thumbs: Couldn' believe it needed 2 hands to open, can go back on my "what car next "list now. :yahoo: Should have known better than to trust what the Nissan service manager told me :doh:

Just received an email back from SGS...

"Thank you for your enquiry. New struts are available at a cost of £65.76 for the pair delivered (£24.75 per strut plus £5.30 carriage and VAT), are covered by a two year guarantee and are available on next day delivery.

Some struts can be re-gassed depending on their condition so a visual inspection by us must be made in order to assess your struts, which is free of charge. If you try a re-gas and it fails within the warranty period we will discount the cost of the re-gas from new gas struts purchased from SGS Engineering. A re-gas is £33.96 delivered for the pair (£11.50 per strut plus £5.30 carriage and VAT) and struts are usually turned around within three working days. Payment can be made via credit/debit card and you will be contacted for payment once your struts have been tested."

Bloody hell, cheaper than the spring, thyre £40 plus with postage.....each!!!!! :angry:

Well, I had mine from brand new and it always needed a couple of attempts before it opened properly, until I joined this forum after three and a half years of ownership I thought that way they were supposed to be (basically, it's a design fault). I would have thought that if the boot stays fully open and needs a good tug to pull it down then regassing the struts isn't really needed. Try the penny trick first.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37034&hilit=penny+trick

Or, you could remove the counter weight.

Pete