advice needed - buying zed from dealer

Ryan

Im gunna be looking at my first zed on the weekend, its at a local nissan dealer. 04 plate but its up for £9k with 34k on the clock.

I've never bought a car before from a dealer, only ever private. Whats the best way to go about getting a better deal from them? Obviously i want to get it as cheap as i can

Be very careful they all breathe fire and eat small babies for lunch, the most evil bunch of bastards in the world :lol:

Price check reserch on the net (Autotrader) as they should price match for a like for like car. What you aggree to be done to the car is as important as the ticket price. I would far rather have the car a the ticket price but have a full service done a good cosmetic tidy up of the trim and body work and a good warrenty. On handover just make sure that they have done whats aggreed and it's documented, don't assume anything, ie ALL used cars come with two keys a service book and a full tank of fuel!! At the least you need a documented check list of the work they have done to the car as it should have basic safty checks done an MOT cert. etc

Also I would check the tyres are good not just legal!

Best of luck with the purchase :thumbs:

Im gunna be looking at my first zed on the weekend, its at a local nissan dealer. 04 plate but its up for £9k with 34k on the clock.

I've never bought a car before from a dealer, only ever private. Whats the best way to go about getting a better deal from them? Obviously i want to get it as cheap as i can

Haggle in exactly the same way. If you're going to finance the car there may be more wiggle room in the price as they can get that back from the finance deal, but otherwise just haggle on the obvious.

Of course, the car may be exactly as described and worth every penny of the £9K and therefore haggling isn't needed, that's rare though.

Sounds like a decent price if everything is in order :thumbs:

As said above check all the serviceable parts, Main Dealers are very quick to point out minor wear when doing service, at the very least ask them to do a full service then if anything goes wrong in the warranty period (3 months minimum?) then you have a point of reference :thumbs:

I bought my zed from a dealer and it was the 2nd car ive ever bought from a dealer. The last car I bought I managed to knock about 3 grand off the window price with a lot of haggling. But this time around the Nissan dealer would not budge a penny. In the end I paid the full window price but got 6 months road tax (260quid ish) and a fresh MOT thrown into the deal. The dealer had already forked out for a full P3 service, alloy wheels refurbished and the front bumper re-sprayed to remove all the stone chips, so they had invested a bit of cash in the car.

Not only that, apparently they had another buyer snapping at the door, so they knew if I didnt buy it the other guy probably would.

Before I bought this zed, I did see another one at a different car dealer and made them an offer - but once again, they refused to knock anything off that one. The only thing they offered was 6 months road tax, so I walked away.

It doesnt hurt to try though!

would i make a fool of myself if i offered something around £7000-7500 with my current car as part ex (1991 toyota mr2).

Don't worry about looking a fool, they won't be selling many cars at the moment and definitely not many 350z's...

You can always aim to meet somewhere in the middle, have a look at a part-ex guide to see what your mr2 is actually worth, it probably won't be very much at all really :surrender:

on glass.com its listed at around 500-600quid. i know its worth hardly anything, but something is better than nothing :)

Well then on paper offering 7.5k + your mr2 wouldn't be taking the pi$$ in my opinion given the current climate :thumbs:

Does the 9k asking price include TAX, MOT & decent tyres etc etc... another thing worth mentioning is if the offer you a warranty I personally wouldn't bother, nothing that is 'wear & tear' is ever covered :surrender:

on glass.com its listed at around 500-600quid. i know its worth hardly anything, but something is better than nothing :)

With an MR2 you`d be better off selling that on ebay. I got a part ex price for the old shed I was driving at the time and they offered me 500quid for it. I put it on ebay and got £2300. Basically they will just stick it straight in an auction to shift it, so will just give you the price they think they will get back for it in the auction.

Just a warning as well to have contingency money aside - have had a few people buy Zeds lately as they are now approaching affordable prices for older ones and a few weeks later the clutch goes and they are faced with an £800 bill. Not saying you haven't thought about it but my advice is buy something and make sure you got cash left over, just in case, otherwise you could be left with an expensive toy sat outside doing not a lot.

would i make a fool of myself if i offered something around £7000-7500 with my current car as part ex (1991 toyota mr2).

I don’t know anyone who has £1500 to knock off a used car of this value in this climate, if so the car would be vastly overpriced to start with, no harm in asking though.

Use this as research as there is a eclectic bunch of cars here with similar mileages on that you have been offer, naturally the spec comes into it but TBH there is an 06 plate on here similar mileage etc etc

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/nissan/350_z/postcode/ts36as/radius/1501/price-from/8000/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/seller-type/trade_adverts/price-to/10000/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/sort/priceasc/page/1